• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic books with funny doodles
5 5

99 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2022 at 11:51 AM, Cushing Fan said:

That unfortunate time Thor decided to dress up as Hitler...

Screenshot_20220225-105750_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20220225-105806_eBay.jpg

Remember that gag doodle on a ton of books that have passed through my hands over the years so I’m pretty desensitized to stuff like that but geez this would cause quite the uproar nowadays

image.gif.66e81ad3ab11c0941f1a6270f94df887.gif

On 3/14/2022 at 5:21 PM, Shazbot said:

I desperately want to hate whoever did this, but I just can't.

"Watch you. Watch you very much."

It really suits him.

This isn't an example of a funny doodle but since adding this to my collection I have often wondered: Who is Roy? Why did your Mom (presumably) write your name in cursive on the cover?  Was it to distinguish your comics from another siblings comics?  What other comics were in Roy's collection because 1967 would have been a nice era to be collecting in?

PXL_20220324_153309674.jpg

PXL_20220324_153958478.jpg

On 3/24/2022 at 11:47 AM, LudaToke said:

This isn't an example of a funny doodle but since adding this to my collection I have often wondered: Who is Roy? Why did your Mom (presumably) write your name in cursive on the cover?  Was it to distinguish your comics from another siblings comics?  What other comics were in Roy's collection because 1967 would have been a nice era to be collecting in?

PXL_20220324_153309674.jpg

PXL_20220324_153958478.jpg

I've seen a lot of names written on golden age comics - I guess it was more of a thing then especially if you loaned out your comic to a friend to read?

On 3/24/2022 at 3:24 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

On ebay. (Not mine)

20220324_102230.jpg.6d1d33cf13700b4e31e42d31ec726892.jpg

Hilarious.

At least it’s a creative alternative to burning the book.

A couple examples from  the "Bill the Kid", uh, pedigree.

I got these from a shuttering comic store in the mid 90's  They were among some books in a dusty long-box, the issues not even bagged, let alone priced, as these books were virtually worthless in those days in this condition.

This collector actually took some care of his books, but would invariably do strange things to certain skin types and hair colors within the interior using his own pencil (or colored pencil) in every single book, in addition to writing his name, BILL THE KID, on every cover somewhere within the logo in pencil, with fairly deep impressions.

These are the hallmarks of his painstakingly altered collection:

Any white hair on any character is colored in, lightly and fairly neatly, with regular pencil.
Any blond hair on any character is shaded in with green colored pencil.
And strangest of all, any white female skin is colored in with red colored pencil. This is only done to female skin, and it is exacting in that if so much as an arm of a woman not otherwise in the panel appears in the panel, it gets the red pencil special. 

While the interior of The Claws of Cat #1 shown gets a good dose of the interior treatment, I actually got off pretty easy with the Hero For Hire #1, compared to other issues from his hoard. There aren't any white ladies or blonde hair in HfH #1, and very little white hair, so the main issue is his calling card on the cover, BILL THE KID, usually spread one word at a time in different letters within the logo, as on this one. The cover work had been erased by the time I got them, but the deep impressions are readily visible.

The last thing is that on the "Bullpen Bulletins" pages, the titles of many issues are underlined in regular pencil, not creepy like the other stuff, more likely just a checklist, but still a little odd given how well otherwise the comics were taken care of.  Some of these that I saw (and I have a few more besides these) would surely have been in Very Fine or better, without the strangeness added to them by the owner, who definitely had issues with his issues

Anyone else have a "Bill The Kid" issue? He had a huge collection of Silver and Bronze Marvels, at the minimum. 

cat1.jpg

lukecage1.jpg

On 4/19/2022 at 3:02 AM, jdandns said:

A couple examples from  the "Bill the Kid", uh, pedigree.

I got these from a shuttering comic store in the mid 90's  They were among some books in a dusty long-box, the issues not even bagged, let alone priced, as these books were virtually worthless in those days in this condition.

This collector actually took some care of his books, but would invariably do strange things to certain skin types and hair colors within the interior using his own pencil (or colored pencil) in every single book, in addition to writing his name, BILL THE KID, on every cover somewhere within the logo in pencil, with fairly deep impressions.

These are the hallmarks of his painstakingly altered collection:

Any white hair on any character is colored in, lightly and fairly neatly, with regular pencil.
Any blond hair on any character is shaded in with green colored pencil.
And strangest of all, any white female skin is colored in with red colored pencil. This is only done to female skin, and it is exacting in that if so much as an arm of a woman not otherwise in the panel appears in the panel, it gets the red pencil special. 

While the interior of The Claws of Cat #1 shown gets a good dose of the interior treatment, I actually got off pretty easy with the Hero For Hire #1, compared to other issues from his hoard. There aren't any white ladies or blonde hair in HfH #1, and very little white hair, so the main issue is his calling card on the cover, BILL THE KID, usually spread one word at a time in different letters within the logo, as on this one. The cover work had been erased by the time I got them, but the deep impressions are readily visible.

The last thing is that on the "Bullpen Bulletins" pages, the titles of many issues are underlined in regular pencil, not creepy like the other stuff, more likely just a checklist, but still a little odd given how well otherwise the comics were taken care of.  Some of these that I saw (and I have a few more besides these) would surely have been in Very Fine or better, without the strangeness added to them by the owner, who definitely had issues with his issues

Anyone else have a "Bill The Kid" issue? He had a huge collection of Silver and Bronze Marvels, at the minimum. 

cat1.jpg

lukecage1.jpg

That's quite a unique "pedigree" lol!

Not my copy, but I spotted this on eBay the other day:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.2cee13afc9becdde405fec7a79eeb737.jpg

The owner was clearly a Batman & Robin and a Beatles fan:

1213383981_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.f811c0f104bf6f29bde1e5894c98bdb4.jpg

Although, maybe not Batman & Robin... hm