• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.6?
4 4

77 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2021 at 11:38 PM, littledoom said:
On 7/15/2021 at 11:36 PM, Off Panel said:

So, is this a case of the original book being cracked out and a lower grade book snuck into the holder?

I know CGC misses a call sometimes, but they aren’t giving that book a 9.6 on their worst day.

I’ve seen worse get high grades … there’s other threads like yours with similar discrepancies 

There's no way you've seen worse 9.6s.

This book looks like it doesn't belong in this holder.

@Brittany M. CGC might want to know about this.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:44 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Hope he ends up selling this to a superfan.

No, it'll most likely end up going to one of those CGC label chasers and they'll be totally ecstatic with their purchase thinking they got it for a whole whopping grand cheaper than it's original listing price.  :whee:  :banana:   :screwy:

After all, isn't it all really to do with that big big number on the top left hand corner of the slab, and anything you see below the CGC label is completely irrelevant and should be totally ignored when it comes to a graded and slabbed book?  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/16/2021 at 12:54 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

CGC Cert # 1296784000 is not searchable.  Next couple certs 4001: Mr Miracle #1 (8.0) ,  4002: Warlock #1 (7.0) , 4003: Brave and the Bold #79 (9.0)

If I were a gambling man, I would say this was a label error at CGC . Where they swapped labels and the actual 9.6 was cracked out of whatever grade this book actually got, and was resubmitted as well as the label sent in to be removed from the census.  If not a direct two submission label swap, then either someone else has got to be upset with their grade as they got this books label, or CGC really dropped the ball on grading this book. 

They should buy this book to keep it from circulating. 

I never thought of that so it will always start with 001, correct?

4 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Yes, the first comic in each submission is always 001, preceded by the submission number.  If the submission number assigned was 3333333, the first comic is 3333333001, the next 3333333002, etc.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:46 PM, grendelbo said:

eta nick posted a video on his YouTube the other day showing clearly a high grade (9.2+) Star Wars 1 with a Universal 4.0 label. (Skip to about 1:40.)

Kind of the opposite of this Strange Tales copy. Again, I'm guessing miskey and poor quality control.

He should have checked the number, that Star Wars book is recorded as a 9.6

sw.JPG

9 minutes ago, toro said:

sw.JPG

The fact that the certification doesn't match the label isn't making me feel better.

24 minutes ago, toro said:

sw.JPG

13 minutes ago, grendelbo said:

The fact that the certification doesn't match the label isn't making me feel better.

No kidding.  I had never seen this type of error before - I've seen restored/qualified have blue labels but the grade always matched.

For the original post of the Dr. Strange book - it's even in a newer style shell - those are impossible to swap out the grade without destroying the slab itself.  It's an inside job...just you wait and see the Ronan Farrow expose that'll follow it.

10 hours ago, Lightning55 said:
14 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Yes, the first comic in each submission is always 001, preceded by the submission number.  If the submission number assigned was 3333333, the first comic is 3333333001, the next 3333333002, etc.

Right.  There are no slabs that end with 000, but it's possible that an 001 book doesn't return a result from the CGC serial number lookup (when other books from that order are valid).

The books are assigned numbers as they are received, so if an order comes in and there are 20 books, the first book will be 001 (even before grading).  If the graders decide they can't encapsulate the book (due to overhang, for example), then the slabbed books from that order will start at 002 because 001 was assigned but not slabbed.  We don't have any record of how often CGC decides not to encapsulate a book, since they didn't encapsulate the book. lol

The more common reason an 001 might not return a result is when resubmitters return the old labels (seems like it's happening less and less).  Former 001 books would be taken off the CGC Census and out of the lookup.