• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

704 posts in this topic

On 9/2/2021 at 5:35 PM, fishbone said:

I estimate my 5.0 is worth somewhere in the 75K+ range at this point if you extrapolate all sales above and below the grade ........  this is in the area of a 100% increase since your sale (if we all assume your's was a huge outlier sale at the time) , and that's a lot of movement in a few years

The book is just insane right now

Worth noting that Bob Storms just posted a 2.5 of AF15 for 33,5000. That's just a smidgeon below where the 5.0 was in 2017 It won't be long until the budget bunch is just totally crowded out. 

Edited by Glassman10

Given the choice between a high grade Action Comic 1 and a similarly graded AF 15, I'm choosing the Action Comics 1 all day long.

Who knows how many high grade AF 15s are sitting out there ungraded. Yes, there are some Action 1s in high grade waiting to be graded but no where near as many as AF 15.

9.6 is the current highest graded but that's only until a 9.8 comes along to top it.  Even if that doesn't happen, there could be more 9.6s come out of the wood work possibly with better PQ.

If that happens is this still a $3M+ book?

Edited by pemart1966

On 9/3/2021 at 8:34 PM, pemart1966 said:

Who knows how many high grade AF 15s are sitting out there ungraded. Yes, there are some Action 1s in high grade waiting to be graded but no where near as many as AF 15.

9.6 is the current highest graded but that's only until a 9.8 comes along to top it.  Even if that doesn't happen, there could be more 9.6s come out of the wood work possibly with better PQ.

If that happens is this still a $3M+ book?

There were posts pretty similar to yours when the first reports broke of a 9.6 AF 15 selling for over $1m.

Now there are more 9.6 AF 15s and yet this copy is going to shatter all previous records.

On 9/3/2021 at 10:46 AM, tth2 said:

There were posts pretty similar to yours when the first reports broke of a 9.6 AF 15 selling for over $1m.

Now there are more 9.6 AF 15s and yet this copy is going to shatter all previous records.

I'm not familiar with the other 9.6s...do any of the others have better PQ?

On 9/3/2021 at 8:11 AM, Glassman10 said:

Worth noting that Bob Storms just posted a 2.5 of AF15 for 33,5000. That's just a smidgeon below where the 5.0 was in 2017 It won't be long until the budget bunch is just totally crowded out. 

yup

On 9/2/2021 at 6:32 PM, Glassman10 said:

It was inevitable  I think.  I suppose it depends on how much time you have left. I plan to be buried with all my remotes when I cross the river styx. Extra batteries are in the final with  instructions. You just can't assume anything.  I very recently came into a  mint 79 Mazda RX7 that has been garaged since 1982.  Really Sweet. It gives me a lot more pleasure than reading a comic at this point.  I suspect that's heresy.  I could take the JIM's with me. If you have the coin, apparently the boats man has the space. 

good on you - you have to make priorities for what you enjoy in life, it's just too short !!    (and p.s., that 50K you banked a few years ago could easily have grown to 75K if invested correctly over that period .....)

On 9/3/2021 at 11:11 AM, fishbone said:

good on you - you have to make priorities for what you enjoy in life, it's just too short !!    (and p.s., that 50K you banked a few years ago could easily have grown to 75K if invested correctly over that period .....)

bob wrote me this morning when I asked and indicated if he had a 5.0 it would be between 65-75K.  I think the folks who have the 1.5- 35's stashed will do quite well. 

On 9/3/2021 at 10:48 AM, Glassman10 said:

bob wrote me this morning when I asked and indicated if he had a 5.0 it would be between 65-75K.  I think the folks who have the 1.5- 35's stashed will do quite well. 

We've all bought and sold. Depends on where we are in life. I once sold a WP'd 7.5 for 42k.

On 9/3/2021 at 10:59 AM, pemart1966 said:

I'm not familiar with the other 9.6s...do any of the others have better PQ?

As he said.  After the single 9.6 sold for 1.1m privately, and a few more 9.6s showed up the widely held opinion was that they were worth far less than 1.1m. It made sense then just as you suggest it would again with a 9.8 showing up. No one knows if there’s a 9.8 out there in the raw or in a 9.6 holder. Could be, as always with these things. Btw one of the 9.6s reportedly has OW/W pages, a notch higher than the others. Does that affect its value relative to the others?  Maybe White pages might. Who knows. 

also we appear to be reaching a point where more copies at the top is a feature not a bug. Copies change hands more often yielding more sales data points and allows more buyers and creates competition. More so than s single HGC that sits in a collection for 10-20 years 

Edited by Aman619

If that's the case re AF slabbed PQ then someone is going to be paying north of $3M for a copy that isn't even the best graded copy.

With this and the unknowns:  e.g. whether there's a 9.8 currently graded as a 9.6 (or less :whatthe:); how many 9.6/9.8s are out there ungraded etc - paying this kind of bread is ridiculous.  

Edited by pemart1966

On 9/3/2021 at 1:38 PM, Aman619 said:

As he said.  After the single 9.6 sold for 1.1m privately, and a few more 9.6s showed up the widely held opinion was that they were worth far less than 1.1m. It made sense then just as you suggest it would again with a 9.8 showing up. No one knows if there’s a 9.8 out there in the raw or in a 9.6 holder. Could be, as always with these things. Btw one of the 9.6s reportedly has OW/W pages, a notch higher than the others. Does that affect its value relative to the others?  Maybe White pages might. Who knows. 

also we appear to be reaching a point where more copies at the top is a feature not a bug. Copies change hands more often yielding more sales data points and allows more buyers and creates competition. More so than s single HGC that sits in a collection for 10-20 years 

You know I'm always partial to white paged books esp on an AF15. When we're talking $mil's I'm not sure PQ is even considered. It's the LABEL that sells.

On 9/3/2021 at 2:51 PM, peewee22 said:

You know I'm always partial to white paged books esp on an AF15. When we're talking $mil's I'm not sure PQ is even considered. It's the LABEL that sells.

Sometimes I think that it's just the NUMBER that sells...