• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

704 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2021 at 10:45 AM, Glassman10 said:

Somehow, I'm waiting for the equivalent of the 1918 Black Sox Scandal. Lots of money, lots of temptation. Lots of manipulation  possible. It continues to strike me that grading shifts from time to time almost imperceptibly but when you start cracking open cases and regrading and it has a profound affect on the census, money really talks. I certainly don't profess to be some insider on how this all goes, but it just doesn't feel quite right. I don't think it will happen right  here but temptation is a real thing. 

:sorry:

On 9/1/2021 at 4:01 PM, Mmehdy said:

same here...anything goes, but a strong possible shot at a world record for a comic book....

Undoubtedly so but a few posts back it was pointed out that it could be paid for by parking funny money as the payment.  We already have a commodity that is peculiar to say the least- a comic book. Then, add on a grading system for value establishment, observe a change in a grade rating, dink with the census on other high value 9.4 books since their numbers just went down  and the general values of lots of other comics in which the rising tide affects all boats and you have what smells to me like  it's ripe for manipulation. 

On 9/1/2021 at 4:01 PM, Mmehdy said:

same here...anything goes, but a strong possible shot at a world record for a comic book....

I know you know this already, but an AF 15 at that level is a world class book .... I'd go out on a limb and say a shoe in for a top ten in all the world. Things at that magnitude have a market all their own. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/1/2021 at 4:49 PM, jimjum12 said:

I know you know this already, but an AF 15 at that level is a world class book .... I'd go out on a limb and say a shoe in for a top ten in all the world. Things at that magnitude have a market all their own. GOD BLESS....

I get that. Would you accept bitcoins as payment?

On 9/1/2021 at 4:59 PM, Glassman10 said:

I get that. Would you accept bitcoins as payment?

I sure wouldn't... I wouldn't even accept Paypal for that... but I'm suspicious by nature. GOD BLESS...

On 9/1/2021 at 7:19 PM, peewee22 said:

The AF15 9.6 will go for over $3M.

Memories of walking to the local grocery in the 60s/70s to get the latest Spidey issue...priceless. :x

the naivete of being young doing that is indeed priceless. My walk through town with a five dollar bill every month to the bus station. It did not occur for a second that these things would ever have real monetary value. The value then was in the printed comic. I remember my AF15 was worth $80 dollars I was told. Stopping collecting since they went up to 20 cents. Priceless. I'm glad I kept my JIM and Thor. 

On 9/1/2021 at 2:23 PM, Mmehdy said:

The current Goldin auction of AF15 8.5 also accepts Bitcoin with a 1/2 of 1% fee, I think its about 450K now, it is their first auction as they also have a TOS 39 and Batman 1 8.0, it is about 20 top flight books

There is an 8.5 for sale? Link?

ok found it. Thanks for alerting me to this. Didn’t know interesting. 

Edited by NoMan

On 9/1/2021 at 7:43 PM, Glassman10 said:

the naivete of being young doing that is indeed priceless. My walk through town with a five dollar bill every month to the bus station. It did not occur for a second that these things would ever have real monetary value. The value then was in the printed comic. I remember my AF15 was worth $80 dollars I was told. Stopping collecting since they went up to 20 cents. Priceless. I'm glad I kept my JIM and Thor. 

Undoubtedly you should have sold your JIM and Thor and kept your AF15 :baiting:

I don't think the mid range AF15's have moved all that much over the last four years although I think they will do so eventually.  Lower end has done pretty well. Part of this auction raises the tide around all boats.  The JIM and thor never have been a financial best seller but I really like the drawing and inking. Hela has remained a showstopper.  The headgear is always better than Queen Elizabeth's. 

Edited by Glassman10

On 9/2/2021 at 8:41 AM, Glassman10 said:

I don't think the mid range AF15's have moved all that much over the last four years although I think they will do so eventually.  Lower end has done pretty well. Part of this auction raises the tide around all boats.  The JIM and thor never have been a financial best seller but I really like the drawing and inking. Hela has remained a showstopper.  The headgear is always better than Queen Elizabeth's. 

The low grade and mid grade AF15s have had tremendous gains over the last 3 or 4 months. 

They were stagnant for a long time, but it's become price prohibitive for your average collector. I know of multiple incomplete copies breaking $20k and 2.0s in the $30k range. 

Another telling sign is, when the big dealers get a copy they are gone in hours no matter what the asking price is it seems. 

On 9/2/2021 at 9:30 AM, KCOComics said:

The low grade and mid grade AF15s have had tremendous gains over the last 3 or 4 months. 

They were stagnant for a long time, but it's become price prohibitive for your average collector. I know of multiple incomplete copies breaking $20k and 2.0s in the $30k range. 

Another telling sign is, when the big dealers get a copy they are gone in hours no matter what the asking price is it seems. 

Book had that big run up a few years back (5+ ?) and then sat in a holding pattern while some of the other Marvel keys made their moves.  It was only a matter of time before AF took off again and distanced itself from the pack.  FF1 is the only book, imo, that should be near it as far as significance/price.  I don’t see any scenario where AF ever loses it’s spot as the top SA book.  

On 9/2/2021 at 9:48 AM, G.A.tor said:

Midgrades are up about 100% from last year alone. I had a 4.5 priced and offered on these boards at 28500 I believe, with no takers last year ….put back in the box. Have multiple 60+ offers for it today. Sold a 5.0 for 45k just 4 months ago and just sold a 5.0 for 75k 2 weeks ago. All grades of Af15 are up! And long before this 9.6 auction. I don’t see any pricing correlation between the 2. Af15 has moved with this hyperinflation, covid era we are in, like many keys have recently. 

+1000%     .....   I hope maybe he was joking in a strange way (?) ..anyway, I hope he was cause clearly way way up across low/mid grades 

On 9/2/2021 at 10:52 AM, chrisco37 said:

Book had that big run up a few years back (5+ ?) and then sat in a holding pattern while some of the other Marvel keys made their moves.  It was only a matter of time before AF took off again and distanced itself from the pack.  FF1 is the only book, imo, that should be near it as far as significance/price.  I don’t see any scenario where AF ever loses it’s spot as the top SA book.  

At the risk of sticking numbers out there, Bob Storms sold an AF15 for 55K in 2017 .  It was way outside the norm for the time.  It's price was not surpassed anytime in the interim for a 5.0 although I don't pay a lot of attention to that at this point. A lot of my point was that indeed, lower grades had been coming up in the same time period ( 3.5-4.5 ) but the 5.0, not so much. The other area of curiosity is the 6.0- 6.5 range.  No doubt the book is climbing and having one going at auction for 2.3 million  raises the perceived value on most any copy. I'll be really interested to see what the 5.0 does in the near future. 

On 9/2/2021 at 10:06 AM, Glassman10 said:

At the risk of sticking numbers out there, Bob Storms sold an AF15 for 55K in 2017 .  It was way outside the norm for the time.  It's price was not surpassed anytime in the interim for a 5.0 although I don't pay a lot of attention to that at this point. A lot of my point was that indeed, lower grades had been coming up in the same time period ( 3.5-4.5 ) but the 5.0, not so much. The other area of curiosity is the 6.0- 6.5 range.  No doubt the book is climbing and having one going at auction for 2.3 million  raises the perceived value on most any copy. I'll be really interested to see what the 5.0 does in the near future. 

Hey, he loves JIM/Thor. Nothing wrong with that. Keep what you love and discard what you don't really need. I'm cool with that.:cool: There's not a book that we've all owned that we've discarded and the value continues to rise. Right, GAtor? :grin:

On 9/2/2021 at 11:13 AM, peewee22 said:

Hey, he loves JIM/Thor. Nothing wrong with that. Keep what you love and discard what you don't really need. I'm cool with that.:cool: There's not a book that we've all owned that we've discarded and the value continues to rise. Right, GAtor? :grin:

On 9/2/2021 at 11:13 AM, peewee22 said:

How can you not love a comic where the hero fools the villain with a carboard cut out of himself? ( Thor and Loki in one of the early JIM) . while having more money from  waiting to sell the AF15 would be nice, it's crazy making to try to think that way. The really crazy stuff is newly minted "collectors" are trying to calculate value increase on stuff printed six months ago. Once you hit your '70's, gaining a broader perspective on where one has been is not a bad approach.