• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

704 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2021 at 9:11 PM, namisgr said:

Don't know if that's a thin piece of plastic or an imperfection in the manufacture of the outer or inner well refracting the light.

It might be on Heritage's scanner.

Still, only 3MIL isn't it. 

On 9/7/2021 at 4:52 PM, Crowzilla said:

I think this is the more important data. We know that in 64, many early dealers were already buying multiples of books like Avengers 4 and DD1, and by 65 of course you start to creep into the early warehoused books.  I would bet that of the through 63 data, that it's like 100 9.8s from 63 and 17 from 61 and 62 (example; there are no Hulk 1-6s in 9.8 and I think of the 1962 date FFs there are 3 total copies in 9.8).

Yeah, the 65 set it to include the broadest range of keys but not to get so far into the collector/dealer era that it's just silly. For AF15, 61-63 is for sure where the better comparison is going to come from. 

On 9/7/2021 at 3:52 PM, Crowzilla said:

I think this is the more important data. We know that in 64, many early dealers were already buying multiples of books like Avengers 4 and DD1, and by 65 of course you start to creep into the early warehoused books.  I would bet that of the through 63 data, that it's like 100 9.8s from 63 and 17 from 61 and 62 (example; there are no Hulk 1-6s in 9.8 and I think of the 1962 date FFs there are 3 total copies in 9.8).

How does CGC split hairs from 9.8 to 9.9? 

rr.jpg

On 9/7/2021 at 5:06 PM, rob_react said:

Yeah, the 65 set it to include the broadest range of keys but not to get so far into the collector/dealer era that it's just silly. For AF15, 61-63 is for sure where the better comparison is going to come from. 

I would sacrifice the keys rather than to water down the reality .... 1965 doesn't even belong in the same discussion as '61 - '63. I would think that you're invalidating your own result in a way. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/7/2021 at 2:50 PM, rob_react said:
On 9/7/2021 at 2:47 PM, namisgr said:

The only SA Marvel from '65 or earlier that I can remember grading 9.9 is the Amazing Spiderman #19 from the gigantic Las Vegas collection that Terry O'Neill and Dave Reynolds brought to market.

Yeah, that's why I'm double checking. I could be wrong, but i don't remember three

CGC 9.9s in date order (oldest first): http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/cgc99/

On 9/7/2021 at 5:27 PM, jimjum12 said:

I would sacrifice the keys rather than to water down the reality .... 1965 doesn't even belong in the same discussion as '61 - '63. I would think that you're invalidating your own result in a way. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The numbers, including 1965, are actually pretty good for my argument. 9.8s are really rare, even if you include 64 and 65. They're just rarer looking at 61-63. But even the numbers including 64 and 65 don't indicate that there should be a flood of 9.8 Amazing Fantasy 15s out there. 

On 9/7/2021 at 3:48 PM, namisgr said:

Thanks!  TOS 47 and ASM 19 are the two early SA Marvels.

Held the ASM 19 9.9 in my hand right as it sold at SDCC, and can attest to the validity of it's grade unlike the Hulk 181 9.9 same show. Definitely a moment I will remember, and thanks to Terry for letting me drool on it. I guess with 19 being a warehouse find, not likely for a similar circumstance for AF15. Although one can dream of a long box full of them :P 

On 9/8/2021 at 3:47 AM, namisgr said:

The only SA Marvel from '65 or earlier that I can remember grading 9.9 is the Amazing Spiderman #19 from the gigantic Las Vegas collection that Terry O'Neill and Dave Reynolds brought to market.

The Curator TOS 47.