• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

704 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2021 at 4:10 PM, rob_react said:

FWIW, there are something like 4 Superman Books (3 Actions #1s and the best Superman #1) and 4 Batman books (the 4 best Detective 27s) that would sell for more than 3.6 million. A few of those would sell for 2x/3x or more. 

Of course. 

On 9/9/2021 at 4:35 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

I don't mean price wise Gator I meant Spidey seems like the most popular of all heroes.

You came to that conclusion after the 9.6 sold for 3.6. Did you think that before? 
just curious. He may well be the most popular. Would be interesting how we could measure that hm 

On 9/9/2021 at 7:46 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

No have been thinking it for a few years. There is no way to measure that just seems that way.

If we measure based on current comics, Batman blows amazing Spider-Man away in sales numbers. That’s certainly an indicator I would think that Batman is still #1

appears more Batman tshirts sell versus Spider-Man too. 

Edited by G.A.tor

On 9/9/2021 at 6:52 PM, G.A.tor said:

If we measure based on current comics, Batman blows amazing Spider-Man away in sales numbers. That’s certainly an indicator I would think that Batman is still #1

Is that because there are more Batman titles ? (which I guess is another way to measure popularity anyway ?) 

On 9/9/2021 at 7:58 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Is that because there are more Batman titles ? (which I guess is another way to measure popularity anyway ?) 

Main Batman title and 3 other batman title outsold Asm. Each. So it’s not a combined thing. 

Edited by G.A.tor

On 9/10/2021 at 12:13 AM, Batmanis#1 said:
On 9/10/2021 at 12:12 AM, namisgr said:

Highly doubtful.  Any serious bidder either was in phone contact with the auction floor or had established a connection to the live auction online well before it began. 

Hope you are correct.

It's always fascinating to me how concerned people get for the financial well being of some guy who just sold a comic for $3.6m.

On 9/10/2021 at 1:54 AM, Ghost Town said:

I'm pretty sure that this is the same book that was auctioned off at Sotheby's in the mid-1990s. I went to the preview to see the book in person. If memory serves, I think it sold for for $40,000.

I know it has changed hands multiple times since then. It's been easy to track because it has some very identifiable characteristics.

What a sale! That was fun to watch.

Hi Barton!  The only AF 15 I remember selling at Sotheby's for $40k in the 90s was the WM copy (which was a mind blowing price at the time).  It ended up being slabbed as a 9.4 and has sold at least once in slabbed form, if I recall correctly.

Do you think this is the WM copy, in a new slab with the pedigree dropped?

On 9/9/2021 at 6:52 PM, G.A.tor said:

Watch out Rick this is a Spider thread.:grin:

hh.jpg

On 9/9/2021 at 4:52 PM, G.A.tor said:

My understanding is that Spider-man is by far the biggest merchandise/ancillary seller of all heroes.  

-J.

On 9/9/2021 at 5:29 PM, tth2 said:

Hi Barton!  The only AF 15 I remember selling at Sotheby's for $40k in the 90s was the WM copy (which was a mind blowing price at the time).  It ended up being slabbed as a 9.4 and has sold at least once in slabbed form, if I recall correctly.

Do you think this is the WM copy, in a new slab with the pedigree dropped?

Hey, Tim! 

It definitely wasn't/isn't the WM copy. I remember the preview very well. It was the first and only Sotheby's Auction I ever attended.

I've seen the book change hands a few times over the years. And I was offered the book in 2014.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:06 AM, Jaydogrules said:

My understanding is that Spider-man is by far the biggest merchandise/ancillary seller of all heroes.  

-J.

Not comics  or licensed t shirts. Those 2 are pretty big indicators in the comic world (which hero you read, which hero you wear). In the general public , no idea, Spider-Man might sell more merch, I’ve never seen a comparison across all categories.  Lego sells more bm vs spidey too…but marvel lego far and away sell more than dc 

This auction should have an asterisk after the final price.  Two irregularities jump at me. The first being the curious upgrade of it's CGC rating and the second surrounding the crash of the Heritage site during the live auction. It may be the Roger Maris record auction until something with cleaner records passes it. 

On 9/10/2021 at 7:40 AM, G.A.tor said:

Comics are upgraded all the time. 
And if you were a serious bidder for this book you registered as a phone bidder or were there live in person. No one seriously interested in this book would rely on internet bidding. No asterisk needed (imo)

Yep the gavel has dropped. Auction over. I’m sure HA has a disclaimer “we are not responsible for software glitches...”

Edited by peewee22

On 9/10/2021 at 7:55 AM, Glassman10 said:

This auction should have an asterisk after the final price.  Two irregularities jump at me. The first being the curious upgrade of it's CGC rating and the second surrounding the crash of the Heritage site during the live auction. 

The Heritage site didn't crash during the live auction.  Apparently, some people located outside the US had problems logging into the live audio/video feed.  I'd wager that if there were any international bidders willing to pay more than the $2.8 million lead bid set after the internet preview portion, they had access to the floor bidding since well before it got underway.

As for the book being upgraded during its entombed lifetime, while I would agree with you in calling the crack/press/resub process an irregularity, most people still engaged in the slabbed portion of the hobby these days don't seem to mind or care.

Edited by namisgr