• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets see your books that have 50 or fewer copies on the Census
15 15

337 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2023 at 7:18 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I thought it was him

602CEBB8-10CD-4883-A4C0-65C2E1742689.jpeg.f26918e78c1cfc4588eb680e78893d8e.jpeg

No doubt it was.  Kane's self-published graphic novella didn't have a large print run, and his company never sought approval from Mr. Marvin for the likeness, probably fearing either rejection or demand for a financial piece, but it's definitely Marvin, who was at the height of his popularity after release of The Dirty Dozen.

Edited by namisgr

On 7/18/2023 at 6:38 PM, valiantman said:

Star Wars #42 is the 2nd cover appearance and probably the 5th or 6th comic appearance of Boba Fett.

There are two publications with Boba Fett comic art (reprinted in Star Wars #42) that aren't CGC slabbed (wrong format). They also have a purple Yoda, which means they're the earliest publications for Yoda, Boba Fett, Lando, etc.

Marvel Super Special #16 is the 3rd publication and the first which can be CGC'd.  That makes Marvel Super Special #16 the "first Boba Fett" you'll see slabbed and the Yoda is green, but Fett isn't on the cover.

Marvel Special Edition: Empire Strikes Back #2 (Treasury) is too large for CGC, but it has a green Yoda, which means it is about 3rd or 4th.

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back Weekly #129 is the first Boba Fett cover, but 5th overall, since it is August and the other four earlier books are "Spring 1980".

Star Wars #42 is December 1980, which means not only is it 6th, it's several months after the others. Its primary attraction is that it is the first "regular comic-sized" Boba Fett, but again, about 6th overall. The other main attraction Star Wars #42 has is that many, many people keep incorrectly referring to it as the first Boba Fett. Sadly, we know for sure it isn't even in the Top 5.

Question  

Is the Marvel Super Special #16 a mag size lke the Weekly #129?

Making #42 the first "comic appearance?" 

On 7/18/2023 at 7:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Question  

Is the Marvel Super Special #16 a mag size lke the Weekly #129?

Making #42 the first "comic appearance?" 

Marvel Super Special #16 is magazine sized, but so is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1. I don't think anyone would say TMNT #1 isn't a comic appearance of TMNT.

The key point about Star Wars #42 is that it is a reprint of a reprint of a reprint of a reprint of a reprint.  When people realize that, I think it will be hard for anyone to say "first" anything without laughter following.

On 7/18/2023 at 8:45 PM, valiantman said:

Marvel Super Special #16 is magazine sized, but so is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1. I don't think anyone would say TMNT #1 isn't a comic appearance of TMNT.

The key point about Star Wars #42 is that it is a reprint of a reprint of a reprint of a reprint of a reprint.  When people realize that, I think it will be hard for anyone to say "first" anything without laughter following.

True. In an example of what may prevail, I think it will be more to the individual interests for a long time to come, due to there being so much of this within the hobby, ie., labeling of categories with apps and registry sets and etc

The rest I wrote, because it was good for me to come to an understanding of what order I collected lol

More therapy than rant, but here as further examples in spoiler!

Spoiler

While TMNT is a fair example I wonder how cgc will see it, or the fans for that matter, or whether it too would end up like "moon knight" or star lord. This after I bought Thor#165 that arrived today, and along with plenty of Ms Marvel last year. I don't think a firm foundation would be easily shook, but is it then up to everyone to themselves how they collect, or well it have a majority sway?

I guess it comes down to (just like collecting price Newsstand editions I mentioned in the other thread), for me anyway, collect what interests "you" and you'll have your own appreciation ❣️😉

It's hard because when I first started run collecting I went with consecutive issues of 1st 2nd 3rd and SO ON lol of appearances with characters, namely the Punisher. As an example, but then went on to priced newsstands for consecutive issues numbers of what was available. Or not all priced Newsstand edition issues followed each other in sequential order numbering, so I went after hush and ASM #600-612 because they were "Newsstand price editions".

Edited by ADAMANTIUM