• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay's managing payments now

25 posts in this topic

So, I had my first experience with Ebay managing payments.  The seller paid, then ebay told me I was clear to ship even though funds were processing 1-3 days.  Shipping cost ended up getting paid out of pocket.  Now that funds "processed" I'm still waiting another 1-3 days for funds to clear and actually have access to the money in my bank account (that's 6 days now before I have money to spend), meanwhile, the buyer already has the item. This is utterly ridiculous,and I don't see how sellers aren't going to just wait 6 days till they actually have money to ship anything, slowing down everything. Thoughts?

This is just the way it is now.  It's worse for sellers, because they used to get their money sooner, but presumably better for buyers, because eBay holds the money in escrow until the item is delivered.

It's also annoying for sellers in other ways, in that you now have to provide more personal info to ebay (that you provided to PayPal anyway). I preferred the old way too.

Edited by Heronext

On 7/20/2021 at 9:09 AM, Gary Strange said:

So, I had my first experience with Ebay managing payments.  The seller paid, then ebay told me I was clear to ship even though funds were processing 1-3 days.  Shipping cost ended up getting paid out of pocket.  Now that funds "processed" I'm still waiting another 1-3 days for funds to clear and actually have access to the money in my bank account (that's 6 days now before I have money to spend), meanwhile, the buyer already has the item. This is utterly ridiculous,and I don't see how sellers aren't going to just wait 6 days till they actually have money to ship anything, slowing down everything. Thoughts?

On 7/20/2021 at 9:13 AM, Heronext said:

This is just the way it is now.  It's worse for sellers, because they used to get their money sooner, but presumably better for buyers, because eBay holds the money in escrow until the item is delivered.

It's also annoying for sellers in other ways, in that you now have to provide more personal info to ebay (that you provided to PayPal anyway). I preferred the old way too.

yes, its terrible.  i've stopped selling on the platform.

I sold a book recently under their new rules. They are hounding me to give them my bank info which I will do but this will likely be my last eBay sell. The person that bought the book was a bit squirrelly. They had 2 feedback and the last one was many years ago. I shipped the book with signature confirmation and made sure to mark “no BS COVID signature stuff”

shipped the book and watched closely. Missed delivery because no one to sign and the recipient scheduled a time for the package to be delivered. No update on the delivery for a few days so I reached out to buyer and they said they scheduled a new delivery date but post office never delivered and they were trying to find out where the package was. Now I am in panic mode because the book was almost $3k. I finally get a message that they got the book so I am assuming the deal was successfully completed but it definitely made me nervous. eBay has way to many scammers and a lot of ways eBay seems to enable it. 

I'm able to select a box stating something like "use pending payment amount to pay for shipping costs" at the very bottom of the shipping screen, before you click PAY.  I've had a "negative" payout balance show for about a day until the processing payment gets added into the payout amount. May only work for USPS payments - it didn't work for UPS the other day (had to use CC). 

I'm not sure if this is available to all sellers, but that's been my experience. I've been on ebay for 20+ years and just recently became a "top rated" seller. Again - no idea if that plays a part or not.

Edited by Rhymenoceros

I don't see how sellers aren't going to just wait 6 days till they actually have money to ship anything, slowing down everything. Thoughts?

I don't think it works this way.  Sellers don't get the money until they ship (& item is recorded as delivered, I believe).  If they wait for the money before sending the item, they'll be waiting forever.  (If I understand it right).

Note, when buying, you can still use PayPal as a payment option.  EBay however does not allow buyers to set it as the *default* option.  You presumably have to select it at every checkout opportunity.  For buying, I recommend continuing to pay with PayPal.  They have a much longer return window than eBay/credit card combination, which is only 30 days.  I realized this the hard way.

On 7/20/2021 at 12:27 PM, lostboys said:

As long as you provide a tracking number, the funds are usually released in a few days.

It also seems like the more sales you make, the faster you'll get paid for some reason.

They don't always hold the cash till delivery is made.

This has been my experience too, :x 

As a Canadian, I opted to receive funds in USD to my USD checking account as I do most of my buying in USD and I am too lazy to want to bother with conversion.

I had to resend my banking information several times to them and even provide my drivers license. Crazy.

I am on vacation right now so I have not sold a lot since I was under the new system, but two of my transactions came in no problem whereas the first one under the new system took awhile to show up and I had to log a ticket. Shortly after the ticket, payment was received.

I still prefer the "old system" but the one good thing is those USD funds are going straight to my USD account with no 'conversion' fees. I will maintain my presence on eBay, but I may start exploring other selling options more seriously as well due to various concerns and issues with eBay in general that we all know about.

On 7/20/2021 at 1:03 PM, Heronext said:

I don't think it works this way.  Sellers don't get the money until they ship (& item is recorded as delivered, I believe).  If they wait for the money before sending the item, they'll be waiting forever.  (If I understand it right).

Note, when buying, you can still use PayPal as a payment option.  EBay however does not allow buyers to set it as the *default* option.  You presumably have to select it at every checkout opportunity.  For buying, I recommend continuing to pay with PayPal.  They have a much longer return window than eBay/credit card combination, which is only 30 days.  I realized this the hard way.

You can wait to ship and will eventually get paid but I did read a rule in the seller's policy that states failure to maintain performance could result in an additional fee.  I'll have to dig up the policy because I almost couldn't believe what I was reading when I saw it.  However, I definitely put this to the test last month.  I sold something the day after I went on a 2 week vacation.  I notified the buyer and figured he'd wait to pay but he paid right away.  The book sat undelivered for just under 2 weeks.  It did take 6 days for me to receive my payment.  He sent payment on Friday.  the following Tuesday ebay notified me that payment was being processed and I had money in my account on Thursday.  Of course I had 2 more books sell that week and had to delay shipping.  When I got back I shipped out all 3 books.  However, I never saw a specific late shipping fee so I'm not sure if it got bundled into all my other fees or if they haven't started penalizing folks yet.  I checked and my seller status and I'm still an Above Standard seller.

Found it:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

Sellers not meeting performance expectations

Additional final value fees may apply on sales in the following circumstances:

• If your account doesn't meet our minimum seller performance standards for the US in the evaluation on the 20th of the month, you'll be charged an additional 5% on the final value fees applicable to sales in the following calendar month. Go to your Seller Dashboard - opens in new window or tab to check your current seller level. This fee does not apply to Above Standard and eBay Top-rated Sellers
  • If your rate of 'Item not as described' return requests is evaluated in your service metrics as Very High in the evaluation on the 20th of the month in one or more categories, you will be charged an additional 5% on the final value fees for sales in those categories in the following calendar month. You can view your personalized service metrics on your Service Metrics dashboard - opens in new window or tab in Seller Hub.

Any additional final value fees will be calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale. We'll indicate which listings are subject to additional fees on your Account Summary - opens in new window or tab.

Note: If your account isn't meeting our minimum seller performance standards and you're rated Very High in your rate of 'Item not as described' return requests, you'll only be charged the additional final value fee for not meeting our minimum seller performance standards.

what upsets me is it must be a chequing account. 

I don't get why a regular savings account wont work

I sold two books last week. Books received and positive feedback received. 

Ebay is depositing the funds for one sale but  but the other yet even though both paid same day.. 

I may just sell on Facebook. No fees

I gave tracking number to both sales. 

Ebays tracking does not show item delivered with Canada post. 

Put the same number in Canada post website and Canada post says delivered. 

On 7/20/2021 at 8:55 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Are you sure? I've been using Managed Payments for a year now, and funds are always released the next business day after tracking number has been uploaded.

Someone above corrected, seems dependent on shipment as you say