• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peacemaker...a Charlton character!??
1 1

46 posts in this topic

I know nothing about the Peacemaker that'll make his debut in the upcoming The Suicide Squad movie so I decided to look him up.  I was shocked to see that he was originally a Charlton character who first appeared in Fightin' Five #40 in 1966.  I guess it was later acquired by DC.  Is this the biggest Charlton key?  

On 7/22/2021 at 7:33 PM, JazzMan said:

I know nothing about the Peacemaker that'll make his debut in the upcoming The Suicide Squad movie so I decided to look him up.  I was shocked to see that he was originally a Charlton character who first appeared in Fightin' Five #40 in 1966.  I guess it was later acquired by DC.  Is this the biggest Charlton key?  

biggest and only Charlton key lol 

On 7/22/2021 at 4:41 PM, s-man said:

He's so old he should change his name to Pacemaker!

He's so old, when he went to the museum, the mummies took pictures of him and said DAYUM.

Who? 

Can't see him. 

Spoiler

da da-da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.......  da da-da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah....... 

On 7/22/2021 at 9:30 PM, kav said:

He's so old, when he went to the museum, the mummies took pictures of him and said DAYUM.

He's so old, Wyatt Earp used him at the OK Corral :insane:

On 7/22/2021 at 7:21 PM, awakeintheashes said:

He’s so old, his CGC submissions just got marked “finalized, imaged, shipped.”

OUCH!

On 7/22/2021 at 5:25 PM, Dave2739 said:

The Question, Caption Atom, Ted Kord Blue Beetle were all originally Charlton characters acquired by DC. The Watchmen characters are all famously analogs of the Charlton characters that DC acquired.

So did Charlton acquire the Blue Beetle from Fox and then it was acquired by DC?  BB dates back to 1939 or so, if I recall.  

On 7/22/2021 at 11:35 PM, JazzMan said:

So did Charlton acquire the Blue Beetle from Fox and then it was acquired by DC?  BB dates back to 1939 or so, if I recall.  

Correct. The original original Blue Beetle was a Fox Feature Syndicate character that debuted in Mystery Men Comics #1 (1939). It was created as an expy of Green Hornet (pretty much all Fox characters were at least semi-plagiarized from better publishers' works).  When Fox started having significant financial problems and entered bankruptcy (the first time,) Blue Beetle (along with most of Fox's assets) wound up in the hands of Holyoke Publishing in what is now largely thought to be accounting shenanigans on the part of Victor Fox. Two years later, Fox would get their properties back from Holyoke, but the increasing push to "clean up" the comics industry landscape hit Fox really hard. Also, Victor Fox's shady financial constructions were eventually called due. Fox went bankrupt, again, in 1950, this time for good.

I'm not sure exactly where the Blue Beetle property went in the immediate aftermath. Fox material was broken up among a bunch of companies. Many of those (Ajax, for example), were run by Robert Farrell, a friend and business partner of Victor Fox, and may have been an attempt to replay the Holyoke shuffle, had Fox re-recovered from bankruptcy. Charlton bought out pretty much all those successor companies (whatever intermediary might have briefly owned the character didn't publish him in anything).

Charlton dropped its "Action Heroes" in 1968 to focus on licensed properties, and eventually sold the entire lineup to DC in 1983, including the Blue Beetle.

Nobody cared about this book 2 years ago.  Nobody.  It was barely worth grading even in high grades.  I had 2 copies because I was collecting the Charlton Watchmen analogues, including a 9.0 that was about $100.  Overnight, it's a huge key because John Cena wants to play him?  I think we should let the book gestate a bit more.

I'm also a big Pat Boyette fan. I suggest reading his bio for those who aren't familiar with him.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:40 AM, Qalyar said:

Correct. The original original Blue Beetle was a Fox Feature Syndicate character that debuted in Mystery Men Comics #1 (1939). It was created as an expy of Green Hornet (pretty much all Fox characters were at least semi-plagiarized from better publishers' works).  When Fox started having significant financial problems and entered bankruptcy (the first time,) Blue Beetle (along with most of Fox's assets) wound up in the hands of Holyoke Publishing in what is now largely thought to be accounting shenanigans on the part of Victor Fox. Two years later, Fox would get their properties back from Holyoke, but the increasing push to "clean up" the comics industry landscape hit Fox really hard. Also, Victor Fox's shady financial constructions were eventually called due. Fox went bankrupt, again, in 1950, this time for good.

I'm not sure exactly where the Blue Beetle property went in the immediate aftermath. Fox material was broken up among a bunch of companies. Many of those (Ajax, for example), were run by Robert Farrell, a friend and business partner of Victor Fox, and may have been an attempt to replay the Holyoke shuffle, had Fox re-recovered from bankruptcy. Charlton bought out pretty much all those successor companies (whatever intermediary might have briefly owned the character didn't publish him in anything).

Charlton dropped its "Action Heroes" in 1968 to focus on licensed properties, and eventually sold the entire lineup to DC in 1983, including the Blue Beetle.

Thanks for elaborating. This is also why I specified "Ted Kord Blue Beetle" as opposed to the GA Blue Beetle, Dan Garrett in my earlier post.