• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some Selling Questions

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone...

I recently bought a house that needs a lot of work, so it looks like time to cash in the collection. It's not huge, mostly CGC keys (top books are ToS39, AV 4, FF2, plus some lesser keys).

Anyway, I have a dozen or so mostly mid-to -lower grade raw books that I've put up in the PGM section, with most estimates being within half a point of each other. I'm not a dealer, it's been years since I've even bought anything so I'm pretty clueless about pricing these days. Slabs are easy, when I'm ready I'll subscribe to GPA and start from there, but I'm a little bit at a loss on the raws. Let's say a book is about a 5.0 raw, how would I price that? I know slabs add value, so I'm guessing some percentage of GPA is the way to go. I've never really trusted Ebay for grading so completed sales of raw books isn't reliable in my opinion. Back when I was way more active (mid-1970s) Overstreet was kind of iffy. It's not a huge deal because I don't have a ton of raws and only a couple of them would be over $100, but I'd like my prices to be both as attractive and profitable as possible (house needs a lot of work. A month after buying it a tree fell on it, among other things).

Another question I have is tax. Do I report all sales, is there a threshold under which I don't need to, am I a sucker if I do or a criminal if I don't, etc.

It'll probably be a month or so before my sale gets rolling, just taking advantage of some downtime to get ahead. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Edited by mackenzie999

The prices for raw books have been crazy lately.  - Crazy as in the prices of a raw books are selling for the same amount as slabs.  I guess those long tat's are helping out raw book values...

Just be careful when selling your raw books on feebay.  You may have to deal with returns 29 days later because buyers are taking advantage of the 30 day money back guarantee, even if the listing states no returns.  feebay is also not dispersing funds to many sellers until 30 days later after the sale.

I'm sure there's people on the boards with even better advice/knowledge.  Just my 2c

On 7/28/2021 at 2:39 PM, mackenzie999 said:

Hey everyone...

I recently bought a house that needs a lot of work, so it looks like time to cash in the collection. It's not huge, mostly CGC keys (top books are ToS39, AV 4, FF2, plus some lesser keys).

Anyway, I have a dozen or so mostly mid-to -lower grade raw books that I've put up in the PGM section, with most estimates being within half a point of each other. I'm not a dealer, it's been years since I've even bought anything so I'm pretty clueless about pricing these days. Slabs are easy, when I'm ready I'll subscribe to GPA and start from there, but I'm a little bit at a loss on the raws. Let's say a book is about a 5.0 raw, how would I price that? I know slabs add value, so I'm guessing some percentage of GPA is the way to go. I've never really trusted Ebay for grading so completed sales of raw books isn't reliable in my opinion. Back when I was way more active (mid-1970s) Overstreet was kind of iffy. It's not a huge deal because I don't have a ton of raws and only a couple of them would be over $100, but I'd like my prices to be both as attractive and profitable as possible (house needs a lot of work. A month after buying it a tree fell on it, among other things).

Another question I have is tax. Do I report all sales, is there a threshold under which I don't need to, am I a sucker if I do or a criminal if I don't, etc.

It'll probably be a month or so before my sale gets rolling, just taking advantage of some downtime to get ahead. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Congrats on the house and also sorry that a tree fell on it. Since you only have a few I would suggest selling it in the boards raw and link to the hey buddy spare a grade forum maybe give the best average guessing our fellow boardies give the books they are some really good graders here with some eagle eyes!! 

Make sure you've got really high-res pics of your books, front AND back, from before they were sent out. This is essential if someone has to compare copies at a later date. We need to be able to see the book's flaws, it's characteristics. Video them being sealed in the mailing box. Also take quick shots of often missing items that may be included, such as Marvel Value Stamps, showing they were sent out intact, for example. 

On 7/28/2021 at 11:15 PM, shadroch said:

If you are going to sell on ebay, why not let mycomicshop do it for you. You'll save money, will only ship one box to them and not have to deal with returns. 

Great advice for someone looking to make the money without having the time, or market knowledge, or simply looking for the easiest method.

On 7/28/2021 at 7:09 PM, Krismusic said:

Congrats on the house and also sorry that a tree fell on it. Since you only have a few I would suggest selling it in the boards raw and link to the hey buddy spare a grade forum maybe give the best average guessing our fellow boardies give the books they are some really good graders here with some eagle eyes!! 

I love the boards, have been a member since '08 and plan on selling it all here. And the PGM guys have been really great and pretty consistent with each other's estimates.