• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad week in terms of comic collecting
4 4

126 posts in this topic

First off, I traded this guy some books late silver age and bronze age mid-high grade books ($9k worth) for about $9k MAYBE $12k if they got graded at CGC so I thought to myself why not get the best books pressed first.

So

I got 3 books that needed a little love and 2 of them came back with damage, Marvel Spotlight #32 came back with the bottom left corner completely blown out, Marvel Special edition #15 came back with a tear at the header of Marvel Comics. The guy that did the pressing ended up giving the books to the owner of the LCS without telling me or him about the damage. The owner of the store once I realized the damage saw I was getting heated and pissed and the owner had the balls to say to me that I should NOT tell the presser guy because he would never come back (presses the owners books for free) and if I told him how I felt that he would never come back to the store. So I snapped at the owner for being uncaring or unmoved with the books that were damaged. Then I go home and I realize I lost about $3k due to the damage of the books and what the grades were before the press. They had non color breaking spine creases.

So basically I went down from Marvel Spotlight #32 (before a press 9.4) and I was hoping for a 9.6 with the press but now am lucky if it comes back a 7.0/7.5 , the Marvel Special edition #15...went from a 9.4 EASILY to a 7.5/8.0 with the same tear at the top of the book maybe 3 Centimeters.... So I lost money... a lot of potential money....

On 8/4/2021 at 10:56 PM, Crops068 said:

Agree with @kav

Sounds like the owner is looking out for only his best interest.  I would def reveal who these are so people know not to deal with either the presser or the LCS.

Yep.  "Look I know you got screwed and it costs you thousands but I dont want you to say anything cause it will screw up my own deal.  I only care about me.  Take one for MY team"

On 8/5/2021 at 5:20 AM, Buzzetta said:

Choose someone to press your books that actually has a legitimate business pressing books and not these fly by night amateur hour basement pressers that think they know what they are doing because they joined a Facebook pressing support group and bought a t shirt press off eBay or watched a YouTube video. 

T-shirt press?  Sounds more like the presser in this instance used a waffle iron.

Yikes...you have every right to be pissed off and more...that shop owner needs to be roasted if he does not step up and make you whole...

I think the good news is that even with that tear, the book can still grade in the 8.5 range ( I realize it's still a far cry from being in the nm range ).  Any back cover pics?

On 8/5/2021 at 2:59 AM, shadroch said:

Why would the store owner want this presser guy back? Heck, I can ruin his books for him if that's what he's into.

1 his been going there buying every book that comes out weekly, 2 his a family friend of his, 3 he presses books for free and the owner of the store is very very VERY cheap, 4 he pressed is copy of AF #15, and other golden age books and they came back slightly better 

On 8/5/2021 at 8:42 AM, Funnybooks said:

Yikes...you have every right to be pissed off and more...that shop owner needs to be roasted if he does not step up and make you whole...

I think the good news is that even with that tear, the book can still grade in the 8.5 range ( I realize it's still a far cry from being in the nm range ).  Any back cover pics?

the back coverPXL_20210805_041337896.jpg.8e3bb45f7bc976db0a6a7c96595b35ac.jpg