• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Concerns about handling of high grade comics for grading

21 posts in this topic

Let say a person wants to have a high value high grade comic that could grade 9.8 or higher. If this comic were to be opened to inspect the interior of the book would surely cause spine damage even if the grader was extremely careful i think damage would happen especially if the book was old. You never know what could happen when the comic is opened. Is there a way the graders go about inspecting the interior without opening the book? Can someone explain this to me? Thanks !

You should contact Cgc directly 

CGC grades the entire book and therefore has to inspect each page. They will open the book and go through it. 

Is there risk? Of course. And books have been damaged during grading and encapsulation. Humans make mistakes. 

But, CGC does take the utmost care to ensure that doesn't happen. They treat the books carefully and let's not forget, comics are designed to be opened, handled, read and enjoyed. So, with care, they should be fine. 

I imagine 99.5% of comics are graded without incident.

On 8/9/2021 at 3:55 PM, KCOComics said:

CGC grades the entire book and therefore has to inspect each page. They will open the book and go through it. 

Is there risk? Of course. And books have been damaged during grading and encapsulation. Humans make mistakes. 

But, CGC does take the utmost care to ensure that doesn't happen. They treat the books carefully and let's not forget, comics are designed to be opened, handled, read and enjoyed. So, with care, they should be fine. 

I imagine 99.5% of comics are graded without incident.

I'm sure it is much higher than that.  99.995 would be closer, imo.

A comic that would suffer damage just from opening it is not a 9.8! Grading is a reflection of the structure of the comic. A sound structure won't be damaged by one opening, however a comic that is so fragile it is damaged on one opening could not ever be a 9.8.

Welcome to the boards BTW. 

Edited by LowGradeBronze
Slight wording change

On 8/10/2021 at 6:11 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

A comic that would suffer damage just from opening it is not a 9.8! Grading is a reflection of the structure of the comic. A sound structure won't be damaged by one opening, however a comic that is so fragile it is damaged on one opening could not ever be a 9.8.

Welcome to the boards BTW. 

Thank you thanks for having me, your probably right about this. Im Handling some low value comics same age and about the same condition to see what it does or doesn't do to the book. 

How are you ever going to sell this theoretical book if you don't allow it to be graded or otherwise inspected by the buyer?

CGC staff are trained to handle the exact class of item you are referring to, high value potentially delicate comics. Certainly having someone with some training grade the book is better than skipping the CGC process out of fear and instead shipping a raw high-value book directly to a buyer to have their grubby hands flip through it for inspection! That's not even factoring in the actual sale price of a graded vs non-graded book.. You really rely on buyers to take your word for it if the comic isn't slabbed and in the census, and your sale price will reflect that.

just my two cents.

Edited by zypher

CGC also has a service called "Walk-Through" that is typically done for the most valuable books.  Presumably, they use the most skillful graders and take the utmost care with those books.  If one were truly concerned, they should choose that route for grading.  I believe there is a minimum fee, but what price can one put on quality? I think in this case its $300 minimum but you should check the CGC website or contact cgc directly.

On 8/10/2021 at 12:55 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

CGC better start hiring people with x-ray vision...

They already have.

I cracked a nice SA Tec' years ago. 6.5  WHITE pager, there were little burn holes thru' most of the pages. I'm not joking.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:09 AM, thehumantorch said:

Yes, there is risk getting comics graded.  Not just from the graders but from the shipping process.  

That risk has never been more apparent since the inception of CGC, Dave, IMO.