• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do comic books fit in on your priorities scale?

39 posts in this topic

I imagine that this has been discussed a few times before, but I thought I'd bring it up again. Just about every day I am faced with making a decision about buying more comic books or any of: buying newer or better musical gear, vacations, upgrading something in the house (furniture/electronics/new linens, etc.), more DVDs, and various other items to spend my money on OUTSIDE of obvious necessities like food, shelter, education, mortgage, bills, gas, etc. Even things like buying a new car when my older one still works fine. So, AFTER all necessities have been taken care of (including the wife and investment/retirement funds), where do comic books fall in order of priorities?

For me they rank pretty high up there. Reason being, just about everything else I buy loses value as soon as it is purchased. Comic books are an obvious exception, especially concerning that I almost always only buy if getting a good deal. This is at least how I rationalize it for myself. For example, just yesterday I thought of either spending $400 on a new bass speaker cabinet (not really needed, but it would give me a bit better sound) or comic books. Well... comics won, and they actually usually do. But how much is too much, and at what point are we all denying ourselves of other "fun" things for comic books? Just wondering where everybody stood on this. Any of you value other non-necessities above comics with your disposable income?

Comics for me are a priority right under breathing and eating. screwy.gif

Actually, the more I see WRONG going on, the more I feel like spending my money on other things. Nothing will take more priority than my family, although I think it is fun when the family gets involved with the hobby.

After all our bills are paid and we set aside our money for our monthly expenses and "our" money (the money we eat out on, pay incidentals out of), well, comics are #1 on my list. Nothing else is even close, NOTHING.

I get so much enjoyment out of collecting comics that I spend my monthly "allowance" and most of the money I make doing painting/pressure washing and umpiring coach pitch baseball games on comics.

I did buy myself a new pair of wrestling shoes this month though. However, i get a new pair about every 2 years.

So, for me, kinda like Sterling says are right below eating, breathing, and the family.

I spend most of my entertainment money on comic books and going out to eat. But -- in terms of actual priorities, it's not that important overall. It's only important to me in that it's a great social outlet to talk to people who I really share the same passion and love for the actual books that I do.

Last year I didn't take a four-day vacation in order to use that discretionary income to buy a pair of pricey books. Truth be told, I kinda regret that one, and don't expect to do that again. I love the funny books, but not at the expense of making me a social hermit, well, at least not more of one than I already am anyways. wink.gif

These days, I avoid buying heavily unless I've sold a book of comparable value. I don't feel that I have to match dollar-for-dollar, but if I'm going to buy something for $500, I want to sell at least $350. As just about all my silver and bronze is now gone (except for the Batmans and the Spectres, which I still add to), I have less and less stuff that I'm willing to part with. With the GA, I find it so hard to decide what to sell, as selling a nice book usually means never finding a suitable replacement, should my collecting goals do a double-back. Every now and then, though, I sell a golden age book to trade up.

I actually learned the "don't sell too much GA" rule when I was thinning out my DVD collection on ebay and at the second-hand stores. All told, I probably sold about 75 DVDs. Within the course of two years, I ended up buying seven or eight of them back, realizing that I sold on impulse something I genuinely enjoyed. Now, substitute "easily replaceable DVDs" with "impossible to replace HG anti-communist comics," and it's enough to make a man break into a cold sweat. 27_laughing.gif

I spend most of my entertainment money on comic books and going out to eat. But -- in terms of actual priorities, it's not that important overall. It's only important to me in that it's a great social outlet to talk to people who I really share the same passion and love for the actual books that I do.

That's interesting. If it weren't for these boards, CGC Forum dinners and hanging out with any comic-loving buddies that you may have, how would your collecting differ? Would it decrease? I'd have to say that my overall buying increased in volume and genres after joining this forum because it does make the whole thing alot more fun when you have people to talk to about your passion. So therefore, it is all YOUR guys fault that I spend more on comics now than ever before. smirk.gif

I was actually ready to quit the hobby back in 2003 -- and during my charging rotation found the boards, and thus a new outlet to discuss and think about comic books... which reignited my passion.

If not for the other collectors -- I'd probably still be loosely involved, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

That's interesting. If it weren't for these boards, CGC Forum dinners and hanging out with any comic-loving buddies that you may have, how would your collecting differ? Would it decrease? I'd have to say that my overall buying increased in volume and genres after joining this forum because it does make the whole thing alot more fun when you have people to talk to about your passion. So therefore, it is all YOUR guys fault that I spend more on comics now than ever before. smirk.gif

I was actually ready to quit the hobby back in 2003 -- and during my charging rotation found the boards, and thus a new outlet to discuss and think about comic books... which reignited my passion.

If not for the other collectors -- I'd probably still be loosely involved, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Brian, I'm in a similar boat. I probably would have always kept my collection, but finding CGC in 2003 and these boards in 2004 definitely increased my buying. I also have made many very good friends through these boards. That's the biggest advantage to me, since I'm basically selling part of my collection and trying to focus it more. Also, I'm back buying several titles a month.

To answer Bass' initial question: Buying comics isn't a very high priority for me. I limit myself to using probably half of the proceeds selling comics to buy new ones. The other half goes to eating out, saving money for a rainy day, vacations, my upcoming wedding, etc.

1. girlfriend

2. family / friends / social life

3. job

4. physical fitness

5. writing / reading

6. comics

Pretty far down the list, but at least an average of one hour a day is spent cruising eBay for a comic, or reading a comic, or posting on here, etc. Reading and posting on here keeps me off eBay, so it saves money for me. An active social life, whether it's a girlfriend or going out to dinner or a movie with a friend, costs much more money over time than comics do for me.

I feel the same way. thumbsup2.gif

As far as my disposable income is concerned, comics are up there. Like Sid said, it's a lot easier to justify spending $15 on a comic that will, at worst, hold its short term value, than it is spending the same $15 on a CD or DVD which immediately loses 75% of its value when opened.

I guess comics are #3 on my list, with eating out and going to bars taking the top two spots. I NEVER let comics hamper my social life, even though I have been guilty of lamenting the money spent on a mediocre night on the town, and the bronze age key it could have bought.

My first rule for comic collecting is to remember that they're only comic books and not life and death. If I miss out on one it's not the end of the world. Also, when it stops being fun it's time look at something else. Of course try telling that to someones who's hot and heavy into the aquisition phase of collecting! After a serious illness and several not so serious but bothersome ones It began to sink in that life is short and one must have their priorities set right. So comics have been fun but it's cooling off for me and the events of the last couple of weeks, although they don't affect me directly, have been very disturbing and have just reinforced my opinion of what I hate about the hobby.I love comics but I'd rather be with my grandkids and I'd rather be putzin' around in my garden or building something new for my wife. It's only a comic book...decaying paper....a piece of my childhood and a great part of our history but still just a comic book.

My first rule for comic collecting is to remember that they're only comic books and not life and death. If I miss out on one it's not the end of the world. Also, when it stops being fun it's time look at something else. Of course try telling that to someones who's hot and heavy into the aquisition phase of collecting! After a serious illness and several not so serious but bothersome ones It began to sink in that life is short and one must have their priorities set right. So comics have been fun but it's cooling off for me and the events of the last couple of weeks, although they don't affect me directly, have been very disturbing and have just reinforced my opinion of what I hate about the hobby.I love comics but I'd rather be with my grandkids and I'd rather be putzin' around in my garden or building something new for my wife. It's only a comic book...decaying paper....a piece of my childhood and a great part of our history but still just a comic book.

Thoughtful stuff. thumbsup2.gif

Those are some very good points you make. Although comic books are a high priority for me, I do wonder sometimes if down the road I may regret some of my purchases over other things that I could have done with the money instead. After all, comics are very meaningfull to me, but my comics are not adding any quality of life to my wife, family or friends. I could spend in other ways that will produce more good memories with loved ones down the road, so I guess it is all a balance. Right now though, I see no ill effects on my comic spending priorities, so hopefully I won't have any regrets down the road. So far, so good. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

They really aren't any sort of priority for me.

If I can fit going to a show into whatever else I have on my plate,I do. If not,I don't.

With the exception of my triple-cover Avengers run,everything else I collect is quite common,so if I have some time and spare money,I might cruise ebay,or this marketplace.

I would say making money off of comics far outranks reading them at the moment. I have a wife and children and a house and a job and blah blah blah. They all come way before comics. Comics are something I read, not something I live.