• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Regret In The Hobby
1 1

56 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2021 at 5:31 PM, Mercury Man said:

If it's the old stuff you feel you missed out on, keep searching, keep digging.  99% of the time you walk away from a garage sale or flea market or thrift store disappointed.   Then the 1% you find something worthwhile, gives you that impetus to keep going. 

True enough!

Then if you're like me, you use those days when there is nothing to broaden your search parameter or the types of places you search.

What really stings, is seeing others in the area that are new show up to your search criteria lol

And me coming in late and seeing them with a stack of books ha! I think to myself ahhhhh competition but :pullhair: I was new once too!  :tink:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/19/2021 at 6:40 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

True enough!

Then if you're like me, you use those days when there is nothing to broaden your sesch parameter or the types of places you search.

What really stings, is seeing others in the area that are new. I think to myself ahhhhh competition but :pullhair: I was new once too!  :tink:

I will admit, not just comics, the hunt for good stuff is getting harder and harder.  Combination of it gets snapped up quicker or goes straight to ebay.   My wife and I have several collecting addictions.   She went to an estate sale got there too late, but saw some woman walk out with Franciscan Starburst plates, which is her passion.  She died a little inside, but aside from big cash-   timing *and luck are everything in this collectibles game. 

On 8/19/2021 at 5:43 PM, Mercury Man said:

I will admit, not just comics, the hunt for good stuff is getting harder and harder.  Combination of it gets snapped up quicker or goes straight to ebay.   My wife and I have several collecting addictions.   She went to an estate sale got there too late, but saw some woman walk out with Franciscan Starburst plates, which is her passion.  She died a little inside, but aside from big cash-   timing *and luck are everything in this collectibles game. 

Yeeees it can be very demanding and each time a new circumstance. I've tried my hand at estate, but never walked away with anything significant and kind of gave up on that Avenue for a while

On 8/19/2021 at 6:43 PM, Mercury Man said:

I disagree passion is everything in collecting,even if you dont reach your goal,passion is what really matter.

Talking to the artists that changed the way we see comics today,that is what i regret the most,many i will never meet and many are desceased.seeing the artist talking to them ,get signature and sketch thats the best part,and bigest regret of all is knowing an artist was there at a convention and you did not go see him because you did not know yet their work,when you realise what they did for comics its too late by a year or 2...............:facepalm:

On 8/19/2021 at 6:02 PM, bob jr said:

though I'm new to the comic collecting world  I do have one regret already ...  that :facepalm: I'd wished I started earlier 

yes regrets are there but just think of all the stamp collectors from back in the day ,, will comics ever go the way of stamps? , it doesn't seem likely but it didn't seem likely for stamps either

On 8/19/2021 at 7:07 PM, 1950's war comics said:

yes regrets are there but just think of all the stamp collectors from back in the day ,, will comics ever go the way of stamps? , it doesn't seem likely but it didn't seem likely for stamps either

I dont know stamp collecting much what do you mean exactly what happened ???

On 8/19/2021 at 7:09 PM, Namtak said:

I dont know stamp collecting much what do you mean exactly what happened ???

Stamp collecting (philately) was the number one hobby in America, there were stamp store in every big city , anyone with a collector mentality collected them (or coins)

compared to the old days, now hardly anyone collects stamps... the hobby is nearly dead

On 8/19/2021 at 5:52 PM, Roger66 said:

Someone (not me) once wrote that the difference in time between 1940 to 1980 is the same as from 1980 to 2020.  It hit me hard because in 1980 I was a teen-ager and 1940 at that time felt ancient as in history class-WW2/FDR and pre-moon landing ancient.  Thus it was really only a matter of time before golden-age, silver-age and early bronze-age comics became truly vintage and more valuable investments - sort of like a fine wine reaching a peak.  If you love this hobby for the pure read and enjoyment - stick to hit - :foryou:  IF you want to be in this hobby for making wise investments, flipping and speculating AND you are starting off now - IMO - you missed the boat big time :pullhair:.  My lousy 2 cents :preach:

While I agree with the sentiment......

You can still collect, but if you're getting in late, you just may not be able to collect what you are fond of or grew up with.

I mean there are plenty of smaller or minor (depending on philosophical bent) appearances and or arcs after the copper age, that could be a field of collecting for the original poster. Ones that have not been a thousand dollars cost and etc @bob jr

And think about it, now as oppose to just Ebay, there are apps that will clue you in on 1sts and other hopefuls like: $100, $50, $20, artist covers, Newsstand, pirce variations, exclusives, and almost hundreds if not almost thousands of comic collecting niches to pursue 

They may be non traditional but they may fit your philosophical wims :tink:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/19/2021 at 7:15 PM, 1950's war comics said:

Stamp collecting (philately) was the number one hobby in America, there were stamp store in every big city , anyone with a collector mentality collected them (or coins)

compared to the old days, now hardly anyone collects stamps... the hobby is nearly dead

The true rarities still command BIG $$$.