• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Ebay Scam
1 1

71 posts in this topic

I sold a ROM #1 newsstand CGC 9.6 with  Buy It Now for $195.00.

Plenty of detailed pictures on there, my selling policies and the fact that I don't take offers.

After this person buys it, he waits a little while and writes me that he just noticed an imperfection; the photo clearly showed this; it's a 9.6, not a 9.8.

He asks me about it and I honestly reply that there is a small imperfection and that's the reason it's not 9.8.

He writes me back and says he's a very particular collector, as most are he says, and there's no way he's going to pay $195.00 for it. 

However!  However, he'll gladly take for $149.50.   Yes.  It just so happens he'll take for $149.50!! 

I wrote back I would just cancel it. 

It took me a minute or 2 to realize that this way some misguided attempt to get my comic for a lesser price since he figured, it's "sold."

Then Ebay charges me .30 for the cancel!

Ever have this happen to you?

BTW, I put it back on and it sold in about 30 minutes.    

Edited by Tafkap

On 8/20/2021 at 2:05 PM, Tafkap said:

I sold a ROM #1 newsstand CGC 9.6 with  Buy It Now for $195.00.

Plenty of detailed pictures on there, my selling policies and the fact that I don't take offers.

After this person buys it, he waits a little while and writes me that he just noticed an imperfection; the photo clearly showed this; it's a 9.6, not a 9.8.

He asks me about it and I honestly reply that there is a small imperfection and that's the reason it's not 9.8.

He writes me back and says he's a very particular collector, as most are he says, and there's no way he's going to pay $195.00 for it. 

However!  However, he'll gladly take for $149.50.   Yes.  It just so happens he'll take for $149.50!! 

I wrote back I would just cancel it. 

It took me a minute or 2 to realize that this way some misguided attempt to get my comic for a lesser price since he figured, it's "sold."

Then Ebay charges me .30 for the cancel!

Ever have this happen to you?

BTW, I put it back on and it sold in about 30 minutes.    

pls add him to ebay blocked bidder list.

On 8/20/2021 at 2:16 PM, Lightning55 said:

Happens a lot.  You're lucky all this happened before you shipped it.  Then you might be out shipping cost BOTH ways, your work packing it, your work re-opening it, possible damage in transit both ways, at least a week of lost time on the market, etc.  Take the win, and don't worry about the 30 cents.

Most purchases are by credit card, and they always charge the 30 cents.  So most likely eBay didn't keep the 30 cents, passed it on to the cc company.  Been like that for decades, won't change now, except to maybe go UP (like PayPal, now 49 cents).

I've learned to give a little cooling off period before I ship. 

I  got burned on returns before.  I sold a Thor 337 CGC 9.8, the guy found a newton ring, sent it back and it got damaged when he sent it back.  

On 8/20/2021 at 4:16 PM, ramithard said:

Recently I've had people make me an offer and I accept it...and then they don't pay.....ebay never used to let people get away with that....now it's very common...

Don't take offers.  I just don't believe in it.  We have the product.  We price it.  Take it or leave it. 

Just like I don't think I'll do another regular auction.  With a few exceptions, auctions almost always produce lower prices compared to what people are buying it for with "buy it now."  

On 8/20/2021 at 4:16 PM, ramithard said:

Recently I've had people make me an offer and I accept it...and then they don't pay.....ebay never used to let people get away with that....now it's very common...

I had someone ask for a little discount (around 10%) on an item I had up with no Best Offer option. Sometimes I'm flexible anyway, and I sent him back an offer to sell at that price. He never accepted. About a month later I get another inquiry on the same book for the same sort of discount, and send the offer which is accepted and paid immediately. I didn't realize until after I'd packed it up it was the same guy. doh!

Ah, well better late than never. 

On 8/20/2021 at 4:25 PM, Tafkap said:

Don't take offers.  I just don't believe in it.  We have the product.  We price it.  Take it or leave it. 

Just like I don't think I'll do another regular auction.  With a few exceptions, auctions almost always produce lower prices compared to what people are buying it for with "buy it now."  

Yep.  I donated an FF annual 6 to a friend to raise money.  I told them it was abt a $500 book and list it buy it now best offer for $550.  Then just sit and wait.  Instead they did auction and got $315.  The thing with a book like this in auction you only get the people that are looking for the book that week.

On 8/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, thehumantorch said:

I've started raising the price if someone sends me a lowball offer.  Got a offer of $968 for a key I had listed at $1650, checked GPA and there was a new sale at the same grade for $1850 and a sale one grade point higher for $2800 so I bumped my price up $300.

@Buzzetta