• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exposing FRAUD And DECEPTION - A Must Watch!
18 18

1,299 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2021 at 11:32 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I'm in the same boat, if you will, not having won an auction in quite some time as all the comic books I have bid on in almost a year have sold for more, often much more, than I'm willing to pay.

What happens if the "investors" price all collectors out of the market? Guys with no interest in the books just throw them in the closet waiting for another "investor" to pay them for something tangible that they don't even really want?

On 9/1/2021 at 11:55 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

What happens if the "investors" price all collectors out of the market? Guys with no interest in the books just throw them in the closet waiting for another "investor" to pay them for something tangible that they don't even really want?

I would think that investors know when to take the loss and move that money into something else. 

On 9/1/2021 at 11:55 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

In my view, as concerns only me as, clearly, each of us will have to determine our own spending limit for comic books, if I continue to be priced out of the market by, as you term, "investors", not to be dismissive, so be it. Granted, in my case, as concerns CGC graded comic books, I have many of the comic books that I want and, although stopping for a period around a decade ago, purchase new releases of titles I am interested in so that keeps me "in the game" as such.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

lol Somehow I am betting it is the same three

But this is what I ask the OA guys.  Is your collection 'worth' what it is because of normal value increases that occur over time and demand...

Or are you basing it on three rich guys trading inventory back and forth with no real money changing hands

I would respond with a yes and no.  I suspect those same three are still practicing shady business methods, however, I believe the cabal of manipulators has increased beyond those three guys.  Only now, its become far more blatant as more people are watching their actions.

On 9/1/2021 at 3:20 AM, Djangology said:

Out of curiosity, what are the arguments for why Atari's console games should be the most desirable independent of your personal connection to them? After Atari crashed the U.S. game market in the early 80s, they never really came back in any meaningful way. In contrast, Nintendo significantly expanded the market in the mid-80s and has been relevant to every subsequent generation. On top of that, the popular 2600 games were mostly wildly inferior arcade ports.

It's not like Platinum Age comics or 19th century baseball cards are the most desirable in those respective hobbies, so just being earlier in the market isn't inherently enough.

Well, I'm not trying to make an argument at all.

I'm just saying that the console to which I have the most attachment is the Atari 2600, and it will always have a special place for me.  I would have thought its position as the first big console to sweep the public consciousness, and the (presumable) scarcity of high-grade examples of its cartridges, would make those items highly valued.  I'm well aware that Atari imploded and that Nintendo has remained relevant in a way that Atari has not.  But Atari will always be the first.

Having thought about this some more, I come back to the two-fold basis for the value of Super Mario Bros.  I'm sure it's partly about being the original Nintendo game, but it seems to me it's also definitely about the character of Mario and the enduring franchise of characters that sprung up around Mario.  In that way there's a strong parallel to comics, whose value is derived primarily from the popularity and longevity of the characters they contain, even more so than their publishers / creators.  There is no character associated with Atari, so that's a big disadvantage.  I would be excited to hold a high-grade example of Combat (01!) or Air-Sea Battle (02!) but there's nothing there to capture most people's imagination.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:46 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I want to say it was called high score...

It's the best one currently on Netflix, I don't know of any other to compare it to, yet it went through older to current consoles. I want to say there was another as well but can't remember the name....

Thank you -- I am going to watch this!

On 9/1/2021 at 8:25 AM, The Lions Den said:

Well, I've read the various articles and I understand the allegations. What I'd like to know is what people actually think is going to happen from all this..?  (shrug)

Heritage and Wata both write HUGE thank you letters to Karl Jobst and Seth Abramson for all of the free publicity. lol

The three highest sales from the most recent regular Heritage auction that ended on 8/31/2021:

Last copy of this Later Production variant was a 9.2 B+ that sold on Heritage on 7/20/2021 for $39,600.

The one below was a grade higher.

Thanks.jpg.71caa9751cea6d8c8614685276101f6b.jpg

Last copy of this game was a 9.6 A+ that sold on Heritage on 7/11/2021 for $2,880

Only other sale was a 9.8 A copy that sold on Heritage on 9/13/2020 for $2,040

Thanks1.jpg.d5c3526128d77c6232f146bb47361e90.jpg

No exact comparisons for this one because there are so many releases/variants.  

The closest and most recent was another CIB (opened box) mid-release (hangtab, 3 code) in 8.0 that sold on 12-21-2020 for $384.

The one below was another CIB (opened box) mid-release (no rev-a, round soq) in a grade lower.

Thanks2.jpg.cdd63eab1a7d5009bba5a257d8c9f7a4.jpg

On 9/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Well, I'm not trying to make an argument at all.

I'm just saying that the console to which I have the most attachment is the Atari 2600, and it will always have a special place for me.  I would have thought its position as the first big console to sweep the public consciousness, and the (presumable) scarcity of high-grade examples of its cartridges, would make those items highly valued.  I'm well aware that Atari imploded and that Nintendo has remained relevant in a way that Atari has not.  But Atari will always be the first.

I started with an Atari 2600 as well.  But, for various reasons, the collector base just isn't as strong for those games.  

That, plus the fact there are unopened cases and cases of many of the Atari 2600 games still out there.....many of which have flooded the market.

(You'll have to click through a few times for a larger view)

MsPacMan.thumb.jpg.64345b5d782e2f0b855562b48f81c013.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 9/1/2021 at 5:39 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Heritage and Wata both write HUGE thank you letters to Karl Jobst and Seth Abramson for all of the free publicity. lol

The three highest sales from the most recent regular Heritage auction that ended on 8/31/2021:

Last copy of this Later Production variant was a 9.2 B+ that sold on Heritage on 7/20/2021 for $39,600.

Last copy of this game was a 9.6 A+ that sold on Heritage on 7/11/2021 for $2,880

The closest and most recent was another CIB (opened box) mid-release (hangtab, 3 code) in 8.0 that sold on 12-21-2020 for $384.

The one below was another CIB (opened box) mid-release (no rev-a, round soq) in a grade lower.

The question is who bought those?

:whatthe:

Well said. All of this is absolutely free publicity and will keep the market growing. Noone is going to step in and stop this. Only way to stop it is for people to stop bidding past what they can afford. Scam artists can't keep buying their own games forever (if that's truly what's happening).

Otis offers fractional ownership in collectibles (similar to Rally Rd) and they just received this offer on one of their games:

Halperin must be jet-setting all over the internet ! ! !:ohnoez:

Otis.thumb.jpg.e985a4e847b90ac66ee2d11f96c05da0.jpg

On 9/1/2021 at 9:25 AM, The Lions Den said:

Well, I've read the various articles and I understand the allegations. What I'd like to know is what people actually think is going to happen from all this..?  (shrug)

Great question. 

It attracts government attention eventually resulting in notice and regulation. 

When people were messing around with thousands... meh 

Now there are people messing around with millions... 

Someone, somewhere in the government is going to eventually take notice and say, 'what?'

On 9/1/2021 at 3:20 AM, Djangology said:

Out of curiosity, what are the arguments for why Atari's console games should be the most desirable independent of your personal connection to them? After Atari crashed the U.S. game market in the early 80s, they never really came back in any meaningful way. In contrast, Nintendo significantly expanded the market in the mid-80s and has been relevant to every subsequent generation. On top of that, the popular 2600 games were mostly wildly inferior arcade ports.

It's not like Platinum Age comics or 19th century baseball cards are the most desirable in those respective hobbies, so just being earlier in the market isn't inherently enough.

WTTB!

On 9/1/2021 at 6:30 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I started with an Atari 2600 as well.  But, for various reasons, the collector base just isn't as strong for those games.  

That, plus the fact there are unopened cases and cases of many of the Atari 2600 games still out there.....many of which have flooded the market.

(You'll have to click through a few times for a larger view)

MsPacMan.thumb.jpg.64345b5d782e2f0b855562b48f81c013.jpg

Thanks for this.  Dating myself some more, but I think of Ms. Pac Man as pretty late in the game ... the packaging design I remember most fondly was the original.  Here's an example that's being offered for $28K on eBay:

Image 1 - ADVENTURE  - WATA 8.0  ** Atari 2600  **  NEW / SEALED - ULTRA RARE ORANGE  BOX

Are the Atari boxes with this design more scarce than the silver design that followed?

I'm going purely from childhood memories, but I would think of the original Space Invaders as the "biggest" Atari 2600 game of the era in terms of buzz.  Then I would probably go with a couple of the early Activision games -- I loved those, with Pitfall probably being the one I consider the "best" and most desirable as a collectible.  But of course I don't think for a second that what I like necessarily aligns with the market.  Your point about the supply side is very well taken.