• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Favorite Comic Title
1 1

22 posts in this topic

This topic comes up regularly in comic book stores and Facebook forums. 

I couldn't pick just one. I grew up in the 60's reading comic books and I read nearly everything. Archie to Zorro and everything in between.  Batman and Spider-Man have long been near the top of my favorites. But I loved Magnus Robot Fighter and Uncle Scrooge just as much. 

As a youngster I'd spend weekends with my grandparents & I remember my grandpa & me would jump in the car & head to downtown rock island , Illinois where he'd do a little shopping .                             picking up his cigars & other things he needed at the time & always giving me some money to buy comics at the f.w. Woolworth's that sat on the plaza , I'd pick out my comics ( stuff like ... JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY , HOUSE OF SECRETS , HOUSE OF MYSTERY , THE WITCHING HOUR , GHOSTS , etc  ) I loved that kinda stuff -  while he browsed around the store then we'd either get something to eat at the lunch counter or walk across the plaza to  HAROLD'S CONEY ISLAND ( best hot dogs / chili dogs ever ) while sipping a root beer .                               My grandfather is gone now ( as is " Harold's "  & the old Woolworth's store ) & I miss him dearly .                     I miss those days with a heavy heart .

Edited by bob jr

Weird Science, Weird Fantasy, EC.

Lifelong science-fiction fan, two simultaneously-published titles filled with great stories and superb art.

Feldstein, Kurtzman, Wood, Frazetta, Williamson, Orlando, Kamen, Severin, Elder.

It’s not bad at all.

Golden / Atomic Age at its finest.

First comics that entered my head when I read the thread title question. Selected for that reason.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Ever?  That is hard.  I will go by runs over title.  Maybe Ultimate Spider-Man's first 100 issues.  I think it was the perfect run by Bendis and Bagley.  

Also right there, and more recently, has been Fantastic Four by Hickman and House and Powers of X by Hickman.  I think they were both incredible.

Oh and Silver Surfer Black.

On 8/24/2021 at 3:04 PM, Venomous72 said:

Ever?  That is hard.  I will go by runs over title.  Maybe Ultimate Spider-Man's first 100 issues.  I think it was the perfect run by Bendis and Bagley.  

Also right there, and more recently, has been Fantastic Four by Hickman and House and Powers of X by Hickman.  I think they were both incredible.

Oh and Silver Surfer Black.

It is difficult.  Hickman’s a good choice for moderns. To do it properly I’d need to think about one title from each decade or comic Age.

Zap Comix

#1 was THE book that launched the underground comix genre and coalesced an avant garde art movement in San Francisco. The first printing was printed by beat poet Charles Plymell

#0 was the first 0 issue in comics. The art was originally stolen, the book was re-created using photostats and published as 0 to preserve the sequence. 

#4 has a classic cover and oozes (literally) obscenity history, banned and the subject of the landmark obscenity case People of New York v. Kirkpatrick. 

Quite possibly the greatest anthology comic book of all time

Head shop distribution of underground comics lays groundwork for modern Direct Market model 

Spanned 4+ decades and 16 issues.  

On 8/24/2021 at 9:04 PM, Amazeron said:

The Uncanny X-men

I love the uniqueness to the superhero story X-men’s telling; Envisioning what the world would be like if society was split between super-power mutants and people, and the conflicts that would arise. The characters are great, some of my favorites in comics.

The perfect allegory for alienated nerds.

I’m a big fan myself.

1) Fantastic Four - Unmatched art and stories that were way ahead of their time. The teamwork needed to defeat the villain at hand was always creative and the characters had real-life problems. Arguably the best 100 issue run ever.

2) Amazing Spider-Man - Same as above, except with a more relatable hero with lots of real-life problems and the best catalog of villains ever created.

3) The Walking Dead - Who would have thought that a black and white zombie-drama series could be so good, but I was hooked. I ended up visiting my local comic book store to buy and read every issue during this run.

Sandman. Black Hole. Watchmen. In no particular order, although it's tough to beat the best issues of Sandman by most any metric.

Honorable mention to Canto.

SiKtC is probably my choice for "favorite currently-active book".

Scud: The Disposable Assassin 

Because "Surreality just got funky!" Doesn't get any better than this series: 

"In this future, it is possible to obtain robot assassins out of vending machines at the cost of 3 Franks. After terminating their target, the robot self-destructs for easy clean-up. During his first mission, the Scud we follow sees his self-destruct warning in a mirror during an 18-page fight scene. Not wanting to die and programmed for self-preservation for the sake of winning fights, Scud wounds Jeff, shooting off her arms and legs, then places her on life support at a nearby hospital ensuring their mutual survival.

The main plot of Scud: The Disposable Assassin follows Scud's career as a freelance mercenary and assassin, working to pay off Jeff's medical bills."