• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WEREWOLF BY NIGHT starring Gael Garcia Bernal (2022)
5 5

182 posts in this topic

Overall I liked it. I'm not sure it will be a must watch every halloween though.  Disney should remove it after Oct 31 I think and only bring it back every October.

I didn't really like the look really of WBN though but it's a hard look to nail in live action to be fair. 2010's "The Wolfman" look would have been much better.

Edited by Xenosmilus

I enjoyed the rapport at the end of the show the best. The main actress was not good in the Elsa role though. I enjoyed the black and white; it gave a nostalgic vibe to the classic movies. I'd watch another episode!

On 10/10/2022 at 8:42 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Overall I liked it. I'm not sure it will be a must watch every halloween though.  Disney should remove it after Oct 31 I think and only bring it back every October.

I didn't really like the look really of WBN though but it's a hard look to nail in live action to be fair. 2010's "The Wolfman" look would have been much better.

They should add a new movie/episode each year as well. Not all of the characters will end up in new D+ show or movie, and they could use the special each year to build on existing storylines/introduce new characters.

On 10/10/2022 at 10:42 PM, Xenosmilus said:

The problem, I think, is that Werewolf didn’t really look very canine. I think he needed more fur on his face and slightly more doglike nose and mouth. As is, he looked more like a Were-ape with elf ears. His close-ups took me a little out of the story, just didn’t 100% nail  “werewolf” for me.

Man-Thing’s look, however, was nailed. Maybe just less Chewbacca cute so early on. Would’ve liked to enjoy Man-Thing as a terrifying monster at least for a little bit. If the Bloodstone was supposed to make Teddy angry, perhaps the story could have leaned into that a little more where even Jack has trouble with him. I realize that might’ve required more story,  more special effects, and more budget.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 10/11/2022 at 3:36 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

The problem, I think, is that Werewolf didn’t really look very canine. I think he needed more fur on his face and slightly more doglike nose and mouth. As is, he looked more like a Were-ape with elf ears. His close-ups took me a little out of the story, just didn’t 100% nail  “werewolf” for me.

Man-Thing’s look, however, was nailed. Maybe just less Chewbacca cute so early on. Would’ve liked to enjoy Man-Thing as a terrifying monster at least for a little bit. If the Bloodstone was supposed to make Teddy angry, perhaps the story could have leaned into that a little more where even Jack has trouble with him. I realize that might’ve required more story,  more special effects, and more budget.

Agreed.

the Man-Thing was great and that burning touch was terrifying.

The look of the Werewolf was a little off, although the look was very similar to how he has looked in the comics originally which was a "Lon Chaney wolfman" look so I get why they did it. I agree the look doesn't nail "werewolf though and think they should have gone with the more modern Werewolf by Night look.

werewolf-by-night-header-650x365.webp

On 10/11/2022 at 7:51 PM, Artboy99 said:

The look of the Werewolf was a little off, although the look was very similar to how he has looked in the comics originally which was a "Lon Chaney wolfman" look so I get why they did it. I agree the look doesn't nail "werewolf though and think they should have gone with the more modern Werewolf by Night look.

I'm not sure wolf-man Jack's look was very similar to Lon Chaney's Wolf-Man. Here're some pics for comparison...

The-Wolf-Man-1941-Lon-Chaney-in-makeup-publicity-still.jpg.d047d318b3f960608ab00b80497b3105.jpgWerewolf-by-Night-Could-Set-Up-More-Horror.jpg.713195133e8315ca102389a407ae8b9a.jpg

While wolf-man Jack's look is cool, it doesn't say "I'm a wolf," to me. Lon Chaney's make-up has more hair on the face and there's an attempt to make his snout dog-like. Wolf-man Jack's nose doesn't seem very dog-like, just human. He kind of reminds me of Calibos from Clash of the Titans, more demon than dog.

Calibos.thumb.jpg.a7d226d866ea8932801260878aa8bbbd.jpg

werewolfbynight-mikeploog.jpeg.c7d7c599931bf6a89c9a08ae698ab3a4.jpeg

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Watched it today and really enjoyed it.

I would love to see a Man Thing movie come out of it.

I've never read the Werewolf by Night comics, but I watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It reminded me of the Hammer Films horror movies that Christopher Lee starred in.

My only criticism is that I wanted it to be longer!! I think it would be fun if they made a new episode every Halloween. 

Adding a bit more here, especially after seeing some comments. I feel Elsa was one of the highlights of the show. Absolutely loved her attitude and delivery, combining bravado with a slight titch of vulnerability. And tremendous fighting chops! I'll watch and listen to her all day long.

As far as Jack's werewolf appearance, I found it rather reminiscent of Henry Hull's portrayal in the Universal 1935 Werewolf of London, as opposed to Universal's 1941 The Wolf Man with Chaney.

Here is that 1935Universal werewolf:

werewolf or london 1935.jpg