• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a collection?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

Am I being a jerk?

I have a FF collection (Lee/Kirby run)  that CGC lists as 98% complete.  I'm missing FF1 and FF5. It is my pride and joy it represents 50 years of collecting.  I'm not a millionaire so the grades are all over the place. I'm ranked at 67th in points..

Now this is what bugs...

There a "collection" a couple spots ahead of me that contains ONE COMIC.  It is a beauty, FF48, 9.8. But is that a collection?  Its an investment. Its a fabulous book. But its ONE COMIC.

How is that a collection?  I think that unless you have... say 10% you don't have a collection, and it shouldn't be listed as such.

On 8/27/2021 at 6:46 PM, Lazyboy said:

It doesn't matter. The registry is just for... um, never mind.

I posted in that forum.

Hopefully it is sensible enough for competitive reasons the registry is what it is.

On 8/27/2021 at 6:52 PM, Stephen Gordon said:

Hey...Thanks for the advice. Did it!

Hmm.  Personally, I feel that you need to have at least 2 items to make it a “collection”.  

Now, as far as one item automatically being an “investment” over a “collection”, I don’t agree with that.  I have several books in my collection that are the only issue from a given series that I own.  One item alone doesn’t necessarily make it an investment.  I only have one copy of Starslayer 2 9.8, but I wouldn’t call it an investment.  I’m not betting that the Rocketeer is going to buy me a car one day.  I have the book because the character is one of my favorites.  That one book is, a part of my collection.

I guess it boils down to what you think a collection is.  Which is different for everyone.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:15 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Hmm.  Personally, I feel that you need to have at least 2 items to make it a “collection”.  

Now, as far as one item automatically being an “investment” over a “collection”, I don’t agree with that.  I have several books in my collection that are the only issue from a given series that I own.  One item alone doesn’t necessarily make it an investment.  I only have one copy of Starslayer 2 9.8, but I wouldn’t call it an investment.  I’m not betting that the Rocketeer is going to buy me a car one day.  I have the book because the character is one of my favorites.  That one book is, a part of my collection.

I guess it boils down to what you think a collection is.  Which is different for everyone.

Yes I have near 450 slabs over all, I just now surpassed a person with 1 IH 181 in cgc 9.8

My collection isnt more complete or better, but I can sympathize with OP.  

That said I wonder if this FF 48 9.8 is the only book they own like my example of the 181, or is it their only book in that set?

On 8/27/2021 at 7:17 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Being a bit obsessive compulsive and a completionist (if that's even a word) I completely understand your angst/frustration.  But it's a technicality and you're taking the word "collection" too literal.

***Just replace "collection" with "$$$ value" and it'll be less frustrating:idea:

Its completely sympathetic, cgc does their part by offering threads for points adjustments to registry points assigned.  Their criteria for those adjustments could be argued, but again, cgc has their formula for points in the entire registry that they have to "stick to"

Its amazing that IH 181 or FF in 9.8 value and or rarity and other criteria translates so harshly in "sets!"

The registry is made to be COMPETITIVE!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/28/2021 at 1:15 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I agree. Literally, you can only start an accumulation, aggregation from a core of at least 2 items. So, 10 % or any such estimate is arbitrary.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Collect what you want to, and what makes you happy @Stephen Gordon

Dont worry about registry points, or you’re not truly making YOURSELF happy. Sure one book is worth more than a whole collection, and so usually is the cost of that key book.  Just collect for your own happiness, and disregard the points in registry. If you are satisfied :acclaim: (most importantly, and trust me other collectors will notice your collection also. ) do you really need a piece of paper to congratulate you. (shrug) 

Love what you collect, all that matters to me. And just my :preach:2c

On 8/27/2021 at 7:29 PM, Ken Aldred said:
On 8/27/2021 at 7:15 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

I agree. Literally, you can only start an accumulation, aggregation from a core of at least 2 items. So, 10 % or any such estimate is arbitrary.

Edited just now by Ken Aldred

True, but they may have raws and or this is the only one they have slabbed etc.

There isnt a line that we can draw so succinctly I dont think....

On 8/28/2021 at 1:32 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yup. I see the use of the word ‘collection’ as a general term or place holder on the registry, allowing for the strong possibility that although an entry is started with one item many more could be added later.

On 8/27/2021 at 8:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

True statement @ADAMANTIUM- My graded collection are for preservation/better copies that are already in my raw collection. I have a copy of every comic in raw, that I do graded. probably my graded collection is at 5% of my ungraded collection. (Maybe a couple books graded that I bought on a binge 😆 🍻)

Edited by nepatkm
Period

On 8/27/2021 at 7:40 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

I don’t know much at all about the registry in general.  I don’t participate in it.  But, are you saying you have a complete, slabbed run of FF?  Minus the 1 and 5?  That is quite the accomplishment and you should be proud.

Definitely something to be proud of for sure! @Stephen Gordon while I sympathize, people have been known to win sets that are still "best presented."

Don't sell yourself short, that is quite the accomplishment for sure!

Try adding pics for every book, try a description if you want or pics in the summary .... Awards, although limited in amount issued or scope, take all sorts!

It AIN'T OVER.... lol

Said in my best Texas twang haha :tink:

On 8/27/2021 at 7:23 PM, Stephen Gordon said:

Am I being a jerk?

I have a FF collection (Lee/Kirby run)  that CGC lists as 98% complete.  I'm missing FF1 and FF5. It is my pride and joy it represents 50 years of collecting.  I'm not a millionaire so the grades are all over the place. I'm ranked at 67th in points..

Now this is what bugs...

There a "collection" a couple spots ahead of me that contains ONE COMIC.  It is a beauty, FF48, 9.8. But is that a collection?  Its an investment. Its a fabulous book. But its ONE COMIC.

How is that a collection?  I think that unless you have... say 10% you don't have a collection, and it shouldn't be listed as such.

A few guesses who owns that copy... I'll start... Rallyrd.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:23 PM, Stephen Gordon said:

Am I being a jerk?

Now this is what bugs...

If you dont care what other people think and desire their affirmation life becomes a lot more enjoyable.