• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Honored to be there as "kid" buys his first ASM1
2 2

53 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2021 at 10:49 PM, Primetime said:

I acquired my first ASM 1 ( a raw VG) when I was 20 years old. I traded a slew of Xmens 2-150 (random issues scattered) plus $500 to a friend. This was in 1995. I got it slabbed in 2000 and it came back cgc 4.0 blue. Here’s a picture. I ended up owning it for 14 years and traded it towards a Suspense 3. 

31CE867E-989F-472F-96BB-2CE037A2B21E.jpeg

5EA358D4-7FAF-4A74-9DAA-225B475F65EB.jpeg

Now this is a trade I’ll do any day of the week! An ASM #1 for a Suspense Comics #3? Oh yeah, for sure! 

On 8/30/2021 at 11:35 AM, Robot Man said:

:gossip:  I doubt it was a straight across trade but probably a good down payment and well worth it. 

Haha yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was an ASM #1 + Cash trade. Suspense #3 does come with a hefty price tag after all. xD

This thread reminds me of when I was a kid, around 12 years old circa 1978.  I was crazy for comics and was always on the hunt, but in Hampton Va the pickings were slim, and I mostly relied on mail order (for the cheaper books I could afford).

I was with my parents visiting my grandparents in New Jersey and we made a trip to Livingston Mall.  I was wandering around when much to my surprise I spotted "The Superhero Shop", a store in the mall dedicated to comics-related merchandise!  They had the newest comics and a small supply of back issues, but the store was mostly packed with toys, t-shirts and the like.  Then I spotted a glass case at the counter with the higher end books, and I freaked out when I saw the Fantastic Four #1.  I had the Origins of Marvel Comics book and the FF #1 was my grail.  It was a beater (I remember seeing tape on it), and the price was I think ~$700.  Way out of my budget so I left with only a Marvel Treasury or two, but just seeing it in person made a huge impression on me and even now I think about it from time to time.

On 8/28/2021 at 7:14 PM, Terry JSA said:

I’m aware that I’m still considered a “kid” to most adults. xD

Not to me. I've got kids of my own over twice your age, in fact all of my four are older than you, so to me you are a baby.

That said age is irrelevant as long as you have the appreciation and love for the hobby.

I hope it brings you the joy and pleasure that most of us here get from it. :foryou:

On 9/1/2021 at 11:19 PM, G G ® ™ said:

Not to me. I've got kids of my own over twice your age, in fact all of my four are older than you, so to me you are a baby.

That said age is irrelevant as long as you have the appreciation and love for the hobby.

I hope it brings you the joy and pleasure that most of us here get from it. :foryou:

I went from being a kid to a baby. B|

I have a huge love and appreciation for the hobby since it’s something I enjoy doing. Ranging from going to conventions/shows or just interacting with people from the community. It’s an awesome thing to be apart of! :banana:

Edited by Terry JSA