• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures with Crypto and Comics
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Over the course of the past few years I've gotten interested in the cryptocurrency space. Over the past week I got inspired (no idea why) and decided to see what happened if I combined crypto with my personal comic collection.

What resulted was a NFT (Non-Fungible Token) of the copy of Werewolf by Night 32 that @Rich_Hennassisted with in getting signed. Thought I would share since I'm curious if anyone had any feedback or thoughts on how I can make it look better. Here is a link to the NFT

Once I figure out how to potentially build some automation I may try to digitize my entire graded comic collection as NFT's just for fun.

A few items of note:

1) I am not a developer (amateur coder at best)

2) I am definitely not an artist (this was a best effort of what I thought might look cool)

3) Getting a good image of the cover is ridiculously difficult

On 8/30/2021 at 2:23 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Do you need permission to get that as an NFT? 

He hasn't actually defined what that would even mean or how it would help a collector.

I'm curious. It kinda seems like he's just trying to sell pictures of his books? Weird.

NFT isn't a magic word. It doesn't make something valuable. NFT is just DRM (Digital Rights Management). It's just copy protection for a picture...but like not really because anyone can still got the picture. NFT's for visual art doesn't make sense because the value of the art isn't some vague concept of ownership, the value is looking at it. And anyone can look at it.

NFT's are just chromium covers for jpgs. They're false scarcity and they are not helpful. The concept of an NFT definitely has technical value in a few use cases...i just don't understand how this is one of them.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:52 AM, Sam T said:

What purpose does this serve?

Essentially record ownership on a public ledger. In theory a use case could be to transfer ownership of said comic digitally. Let's say there is a service that "vaults" a comic and issues a token representing the comic. Then the holder could trade it virtually with the token having an option to redeem the physical comic from the vault. 

On 8/30/2021 at 1:23 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Do you need permission to get that as an NFT? 

So I think if I had used a standard cover off the internet you would likely need to get permission. Since the image I used is an actual picture of the physical copy I own, I don't believe so as it is unique

On 8/30/2021 at 9:20 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Did you have to pay a gas tax to build it into the blockchain? 

So yes - depending on how you deploy it. For example the copies I put on my opensea account were "lazy minted" which means no gas is needed until I either list or accept an offer on the NFT. Then it will get minted and I would likely have to pay a gas fee at the time. However opensea does allow minting on Polygon which is substantially cheaper (or free) I believe. 

On 9/1/2021 at 9:39 AM, DanCooper said:

I'm totally clueless with what is being discussed here :ohnoez:

My speed is more along the lines of "Adventures with Krypto and Comics" means this:

adventure_210_01.jpg

I'm with ya buddy. My grip on technology slowly deteriorated when DOS was not included on your PC. 

@SxG there is something that feels very pyramid-scheme about NFTs, and you are likely to be met with a lot of skepticism from the collectors on these boards.

I think there is a potential to integrate the public ledger aspect of blockchain into comic collecting, so maybe there is a discussion to be had there.

I would be concerned that you are potentially profiting off the art, rather than the picture of the item. Perhaps if the NFT was a picture of the entire slab, not just a tight crop of the cover, you'd be on firmer legal ground. You might want to check with a lawyer before you start cashing these in for big bucks...

On 9/1/2021 at 5:01 PM, alexgross.com said:

i've sold three so far and if they're worthless, then all those comics i bought with the proceeds must also be. 

Not the same thing. Limited tangible assets vs "owning" a hyperlink to an image that can be endlessly reproduced.

I could sell a TXT document with random letters and numbers, and I would still call it "worthless".

On 9/2/2021 at 4:09 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Not the same thing. Limited tangible assets vs "owning" a hyperlink to an image that can be endlessly reproduced.

I could sell a TXT document with random letters and numbers, and I would still call it "worthless".

i get your point. NFTS make little sense to me as well. my point is that while you may personally consider something worthless, when people pay upwards of five figures for something, whatever it is, it is clearly not worthless. you just don't personally consider it worth the price. but it's definitely worth something to someone.  otherwise i don't think they'd pay for it. and i'm glad that they did. 

On 9/2/2021 at 10:38 AM, alexgross.com said:

i get your point. NFTS make little sense to me as well. my point is that while you may personally consider something worthless, when people pay upwards of five figures for something, whatever it is, it is clearly not worthless. you just don't personally consider it worth the price. but it's definitely worth something to someone.  otherwise i don't think they'd pay for it. and i'm glad that they did. 

A guy once bought imaginary "art" for $10k. No, seriously, "art" that doesn't exist in any way, shape, or form. IIRC it was in Europe. Financial transactions are indicative of worth for tangible assets, yes. Once you tread into ideas, all bets are off.

I think that "worthless" is similarly applicable to NFTs.