• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will the WATA/Heritage Scandal spill over into our beloved comic books ?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2021 at 9:48 PM, alexgross.com said:

what does this mean? what is looking worse and worse?

There are so many new articles on it. I don't want to misrepresent it.  Google WATA Scandal. Looks like the NYT is involved now. It doesn't look good for anyone associated with the grading and purchasing of the big ticket video items.  I'm worried that this would lead to losing trust with our 2 third party grading companies  from the community

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 9/5/2021 at 7:50 PM, Chicago Boy said:

There are so many new articles on it. I don't want to misrepresent it.  Google WATA Scandal. Looks like the NYT is involved now.

i can find no times piece on this. i see many reddit and twitter threads and some video game media talking about jobst's video. but no real mainstream news source is talking about this as far as i can see via a google search. 

On 9/5/2021 at 7:43 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Things are looking worse and worse everyday according to the New York Times.  I have to assume that trading cards and comic books are next ???

Are you referring to the fact that the NY Times might come back and correct the title of your thread here since you might just have it in reverse order here?  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/6/2021 at 10:50 AM, Chicago Boy said:
On 9/6/2021 at 10:48 AM, alexgross.com said:

what does this mean? what is looking worse and worse?

There are so many new articles on it. I don't want to misrepresent it.  Google WATA Scandal. Looks like the NYT is involved now.

I just did a search on the New York Times and the most recent references I could find to "WATA" and "Heritage" were from Jan 27, 2020 and July 12, 2021, respectively.  None related to this alleged scandal.

Chicago Boy, please post a link to the articles in the NYT that you keep referring to.  

On 9/6/2021 at 10:24 PM, Professor K said:

If anything it will make people who pay big money for graded video games realize how ridiculous grading video games is. I highly doubt this will affect Comics, coins, or cards. 

Paying big money for anything will get a ridiculous label from those who don't connect with that particular hobby.  Grading as a process isn't the real problem.  Big money is a problem because it fuels greed and encourages fraud.  If grading and/or auctioning starts having an appearance of manipulation it increases risks for that particular hobby, whatever the hobby, along with the public scrutiny of it.  On a slow news day just about anything can become bigger news.

On 9/7/2021 at 1:02 AM, lou_fine said:

Haven't actually read all of the posts in that other thread since it seems to be pretty much of a dumpster fire between the same 3 or 4 boardies there, with one of them apparently doing his best to get the thread mess down completely.  lol

I believe he's not referring to the fact that they are basically grading the quality of the box and the seal wrap only, with nothing to do with the actual contents inside when it comes to the grading of sealed video games.  Probably more to do with the billowing smoke that connected insiders with their vertically integrated fingers in the whole grading and auctioning of video games and artifically manipulating the prices upwards might just clue into the likelihood that this might also be taking place in the comics, coins, and trading cards collectibles field.  :devil:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but this is probably not  :news:  when it comes to this issue here, and I highly doubt it will get picked up by the mainstream press here to any significant degree, if any at all.  (shrug)

That's Highly Significant (thumbsu. Oh I didn't see that other thread.  About graded video games I take it? Or the WATA scandal as its called. I admit I read a little about it and watched part of a yootoob vid of a man named Jobst ,but I'm not completely sure what really happened. I do know the basics. 

Not trying to put down any graded video game collecters out there other than to say with coins and comics and even cards and loose toys even , there are multiple aspects of the item to consider when grading. With a video game its a cardboard box. The difference between a 9.0 and 10.0 must be microscopic if it even exists. I'm not saying they arent worth collecting I just don't see the point of grading them and paying 200K for something you can find still in great shape for 100 bucks and is probably in the back of thousands of bedroom closets all over the world. I mean everyone from that generation had Mario Bros. for crying out loud.

We all know with comics there "appears" to be some shenanigans going on with grades in some instances that probably can't be chalked up to simple poor or inconsistent grading. But if it gets to a point where its a common thing  and its being manipulated by the grading companies and/or auction sites we the collectors will be all over it (way before some newspaper article) because of those many aspects going into proper comic grading......... its not just putting a label on a cardboard box( I know there is probably more to it than than but c'mon, its a cardboard box for crying out loud). When it comes to comics, coins and cards I hope it never gets to a point where grading has lost its credibility. Especially with comics because 95%+ are all graded by the same company, our wonderful and lovely CGC. I doubt it will because it would hurt the grading company and the auction house and in the long run it wouldn't be worth it just for a few big sales. Maybe I'm being naive about that.

Am I still on topic? Not sure (shrug)

On 9/7/2021 at 12:34 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Paying big money for anything will get a ridiculous label from those who don't connect with that particular hobby.  Grading as a process isn't the real problem.  Big money is a problem because it fuels greed and encourages fraud.  If grading and/or auctioning starts having an appearance of manipulation it increases risks for that particular hobby, whatever the hobby, along with the public scrutiny of it.  On a slow news day just about anything can become bigger news.

Agree. 

Edited by Professor K
updated after I educated myself a little more on the subject

On 9/7/2021 at 10:26 AM, Daveb25 said:

https://sethabramson.substack.com/p/video-game-grading-house-wata-told

this is the closest I could find googling. Is this what you’re talking about? 

If this is what Chicago Boy was referring to, then I have to question his reading comprehension or his motivations.  The reference to the NYT was to a NYT article about video game auctions from 2020.

One bit of clarification, I notice that many of these record breakers are not the exact same games we were playing in the 80's ... many are prototypes or low distribution promotional copies and such. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/7/2021 at 10:48 AM, tth2 said:

If this is what Chicago Boy was referring to, then I have to question his reading comprehension or his motivations.  The reference to the NYT was to a NYT article about video game auctions from 2020.

That's seems like a possibility on the confusion. And the mix-up is likely in reference to Haspel recently being named in a substack for selling WATA graded games, even after Deniz Kahn was quoted in a NYT's article stating the following:

image.thumb.png.31335e3b0785a12024dce4b927c908ad.png

On 9/7/2021 at 11:10 AM, jimjum12 said:

One bit of clarification, I notice that many of these record breakers are not the exact same games we were playing in the 80's ... many are prototypes or low distribution promotional copies and such. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

This is true, but not the primary cause of concern among those who perceive problems.  Trying to look at this objectively, without bias or interest in how the game issue turns out, the broader picture comes into focus.  This is going to sound abstract, but some of you will get the context.  

Do any of you remember the oft shown scene from Michelangelo Antonioni's Blow-Up, the 1966 film about a fashion photographer having photographed evidence of what might've been a murder?  The context is the mystery around perception verses reality.  Anyway, one crucial scene involves the amateur sleuth who's helping the fashion photographer track down answers going into a club where the Yardbirds are performing (an actual substitution for The Who). Link below...

The moral to this story ...if there's one worthy of consideration... isn't about the guitar neck that gets thrown away afterwards or the value it had to a worshiping audience when tossed from on-high by one of the legendary gods of guitar, ...it's about the frenzy of a mob and how easily folks are motivated to act on impulse irrespective of common sense.  

THAT is where the big bucks come in and the potential for manipulation, risk and loss. Enjoy the video link.  :popcorn: (thumbsu

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 9/7/2021 at 2:03 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Trying to look at this objectively, without bias or interest in how the game issue turns out, the broader picture comes into focus.

As well intentioned as your statement, and example might seem, there are those who see any parallel or furthering of this discussion as an agenda driven intent to unfairly drag down video game grading, particularly WATA.

Even when you can draw a parallel from one persons views/opinions, over two different timeline points and use historical fact and accuracy to base your line of questioning, it's flawed according to those who don't see anything wrong.

As another, more hobby-focused, and direct example of someone involved in comics - this quote was taken from a 2011 announcement direct from CGC's website:

“After a decade of grading books, I need a short break to take care of some personal issues and to liquidate some of my inventory that I’ve had for years as a result of not being able to actively buy and sell as per CGC’s internal code of ethics,” said Haspel.

How does someone who was groomed under an internal code of ethics policy, specifically one instituted to leave no doubt or perception of impropriety, find themselves embroiled in allegations they sold graded games while being involved with WATA?

On 9/7/2021 at 2:03 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

THAT is where the big bucks come in and the potential for manipulation

Looking like you might be onto something

Edited by comicwiz

On 9/6/2021 at 11:24 PM, Professor K said:

If anything it will make people who pay big money for graded video games realize how ridiculous grading video games is. I highly doubt this will affect Comics, coins, or cards. 

this ^^^^^    what a joke this is, not even in the same neighbourhood as cards and comics