• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2022 at 3:37 AM, Ryan. said:

Really weak hammer prices on my auction items last night. Maybe everyone is on vacation. 

Thanks for this info. I had four slabs ready to roll in next week's MCS auction but, based on your feedback, have pulled them. 

On 6/28/2022 at 9:35 AM, shadroch said:

If it is their Prime auction, those tend to do much better thsn the weekly ones.

Yeah, they're complete different events. Prime auctions have consignments curated for collectibility whereas weeklies are often the last gasp for consignments that couldn't move otherwise

On 7/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, KirbyTown said:

Yeah, they're complete different events. Prime auctions have consignments curated for collectibility whereas weeklies are often the last gasp for consignments that couldn't move otherwise

Good deals for buyers on the Weeklies ... I also got a GPA high on a Weeklie. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 7/4/2022 at 10:30 PM, KirbyTown said:

Crazy that there are 24,000 copies of 98 on the census...that's 3,000 more than twelve months ago 🤕

Geez, that's close to 10% of the print run. Crazy.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:37 AM, Ryan. said:

Really weak hammer prices on my auction items last night. Maybe everyone is on vacation. 

Same for me on the one book that the buyer didn't pay in the last auction a few weeks ago.  I placed in the earliest auction I could which ended yesterday forgetting all about the July 4th holiday and most folks doing something else. 
It was a disaster.  Sold for $53 less then it did the first time.  First time the auction ended at $129...Yesterday's ended it at $76. :tonofbricks:

On 7/4/2022 at 7:47 PM, Ryan. said:

Ugh, I'm getting slaughtered on my auction sales tonight. Putrid results. Obviously having them end on July 4th and right before the Prime auction isn't helping but I may have to stick to BINs for a while. 

On 7/5/2022 at 7:49 PM, musicmeta said:

Same for me on the one book that the buyer didn't pay in the last auction a few weeks ago.  I placed in the earliest auction I could which ended yesterday forgetting all about the July 4th holiday and most folks doing something else. 
It was a disaster.  Sold for $53 less then it did the first time.  First time the auction ended at $129...Yesterday's ended it at $76. :tonofbricks:

Same here at least mine was only 1 book that I accidentally sent to this auction.  

My check arrived today (fastest I have received from them) for a whopping $18.

:facepalm:

Selling is getting tougher. I am not try very hard but I was hoping to at least get offers.

I have learned not to peel off a price sticker and leave the residue. That goes into the sales description.

I thought I would finally follow up on my submissions to MY Comic Shop. I submitted 11 books all Copper age in February. One book is still in their possession MCP 72 CGC 9.8. The ten books sold for $812 which is about 1/2 what I was expecting. I did much better on eBay (even with their additional fees) and on Shortboxed with similar if not the same exact books and grades. Time and turn around were also disappointing to me and at one time I did reach out to Conan. He was wonderful and thoughtful enough to give me a phone call. He's a great listener and was very informative. My Comic Shop has wonderful customer service maybe the best when it comes to comic book related businesses. For me I probably will not submit comics to My Comic Books in the future, but I will continue to buy from them, and I would recommend their services to anyone that asked.

On 7/6/2022 at 11:10 AM, mycomicshop said:

David (@mytastebud), thanks for the update. Appreciate the kind words about our service and I enjoyed our conversation a few weeks ago. As I mentioned on the phone, I would generally say that you and I had somewhat different expectations for what your books should go for, and I think the softening market of the past few months hasn't helped.

The main pattern I'd characterize these books with is:
- They started out priced a bit high--not crazy high, but priced at or above the upper end of recent GPA results.
- Books are relatively common (eg 5-10+ sales in past 90 days), which usually means there are other copies available on MCS and ebay as BINs. The higher priced BIN won't move as long as a cheaper one is sitting out there.
- After trying the books for a while at BIN prices that are a little too high to connect to a buyer (even after some price reductions), instead of lowering the book comfortably into the range of current GPA where they'd be very likely to sell, the books were moved to auction.
- In auction, because they're common, books tended to sell at the lower end of GPA. Eg below the average, but still within the range of multiple other recent GPA sales.

Two points I bring up in conversations with sellers thinking about pricing and BIN vs auction:
- Asking prices are less relevant to pricing than realized sale prices. Sellers who think their books are worth more than I do are sometimes more focused on asking prices than on GPA results, or if they do look at GPA they look at only the very highest sales and ignore all the lower ones.
- For books that are relatively common, auction sales tend to fall at the lower to mid portion of the GPA range and pull the average down. BIN sales tend to fall at the mid to upper end of the GPA range and pull the average up. That applies universally, not just to MCS. If you have a book you've listed as a BIN priced above the GPA average and it hasn't sold, I'd try pricing it at nearer the GPA average first before I move it to auction. Further complicating things, in a market like we've had over the past few months, GPA average has been a moving target that's been dropping a bit for many books.

Happy to get into specifics on any/all results either publicly or via PM. I like to stand behind our results but not trying to be argumentative.

It's pretty valuable to have a dispassionate eye on this.  My books are all worth multiples of GPA-highest sales in my eyes but that ain't the real world.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:10 PM, mycomicshop said:

David (@mytastebud), thanks for the update. Appreciate the kind words about our service and I enjoyed our conversation a few weeks ago. As I mentioned on the phone, I would generally say that you and I had somewhat different expectations for what your books should go for, and I think the softening market of the past few months hasn't helped.

The main pattern I'd characterize these books with is:
- They started out priced a bit high--not crazy high, but priced at or above the upper end of recent GPA results.
- Books are relatively common (eg 5-10+ sales in past 90 days), which usually means there are other copies available on MCS and ebay as BINs. The higher priced BIN won't move as long as a cheaper one is sitting out there.
- After trying the books for a while at BIN prices that are a little too high to connect to a buyer (even after some price reductions), instead of lowering the book comfortably into the range of current GPA where they'd be very likely to sell, the books were moved to auction.
- In auction, because they're common, books tended to sell at the lower end of GPA. Eg below the average, but still within the range of multiple other recent GPA sales.

Two points I bring up in conversations with sellers thinking about pricing and BIN vs auction:
- Asking prices are less relevant to pricing than realized sale prices. Sellers who think their books are worth more than I do are sometimes more focused on asking prices than on GPA results, or if they do look at GPA they look at only the very highest sales and ignore all the lower ones.
- For books that are relatively common, auction sales tend to fall at the lower to mid portion of the GPA range and pull the average down. BIN sales tend to fall at the mid to upper end of the GPA range and pull the average up. That applies universally, not just to MCS. If you have a book you've listed as a BIN priced above the GPA average and it hasn't sold, I'd try pricing it at nearer the GPA average first before I move it to auction. Further complicating things, in a market like we've had over the past few months, GPA average has been a moving target that's been dropping a bit for many books.

Happy to get into specifics on any/all results either publicly or via PM. I like to stand behind our results but not trying to be argumentative.

Thanks for the candid assessment of that person's situation, this kind of inside perspective is invaluable 👍