• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2022 at 12:13 AM, KirbyTown said:

Hi! They announced this feature in their 2/22/22 weekly newsletter:

"I'm pretty proud of this--there's a lot going on behind the scenes to make this possible. We are confident in our own offerings and know that you'll continue to purchase tightly-graded and fairly priced comics from us, but if you find a good deal from an eBay listing that fills a hole in your collection, by all means go for it (and we'll earn a small percentage of the sale). We can't have everything in stock all the time, and no inventory is bigger than eBay's. Just remember to exercise caution when you're buying unslabbed comics on eBay, since many eBay sellers are much looser with their grading than we are here."

I hope the above answers your question; I'm not an agent of Lone Star, only stan them ❤️

That pretty much sums it up.  Thanks!

I think I was one of the customers  who helped bring about  the change in the shipping policy

I would occasionally win an auction and we would have numerous back and forth emails  about me wanting them to hold the book until they put  some of the books I had on my want list on their 5% off sale.  I always try to spread out the shipping costs  over a bigger lot of books.

Glad we do not have to have that issue anymore.

On 7/22/2022 at 12:17 PM, jmg3637 said:

Glad we do not have to have that issue anymore.

It will be a huge change when implemented and I'm eager to know the requirements and limitations. It seems easy enough for them to do; just keep track of paid orders and delay pulling them until it's time to ship everything.

Things continue to go well with myself and my consignments. The Prime Auction was good for the most part. A couple things didn't go as well as I'd hoped but you win some you lose some. And the Customer Service and issuing of checks has been A++. On the buying end I've been grabbing up some nice Subbies this week before they get too expensive. Bought a nice #8, Hulk #118, Strange Tales #125 and a few others.

On 7/26/2022 at 5:42 PM, mycomicshop said:

Our New Listings page now has an option (visible only if you're logged in) to view the list filtered to only those issues that are on your want list.

image.png.701265a40ef8a9528d41ed8e690bf7d1.png

Additional changes, in which price reductions will be able to send want list notifications, still to come.

Cool! Can you also consider an option to return only solds? You might require an account for that too.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 7/26/2022 at 4:05 PM, KirbyTown said:

Cool! Can you also consider an option to return only solds? You might require an account for that too.

I imagine you know this already, but you can find the sales history of any book that is in current auction or slated for future auction.  So when I want to see sales history of a book I go to that particular book and look for one that's slated for auction.   Not sure if there is another way to find sales history, other than when you set prices for your own books.  

On 7/27/2022 at 7:34 AM, mycomicshop said:

We'll be offering more access to our completed sales soon.

If you keep improving your site, you'll soon have to eliminate the complaint department. Unintended consequences and all that.....

Update to the 28 books we sent for mycomicshop consignment in May.  13 have sold.  13 remain unsold.  2 were sent out for re-holders, one because of an incorrect label and the other because the CGC case was damaged.    Most recent sales at top and oldest sales at bottom.  I'm definitely finding it harder to sell this time around but can't blame mycomicshop.  Demand is down and prices are generally dropping.  I've discounted everything about 10% twice and each time that has generated 1 or 2 sales.  Not sure I will drop the price of any of the books any further.  The Eternals #1 9.8 had a high last year of around $1600 but it's imploded.  Since we have almost nothing into it and I don't see any catalyst to drive it back up I dropped it a third time and it sold within an hour.

Eternals (1976 1st Series) 1 CGC 9.8      
Eternals (1976 1st Series) 1 CGC 9.2       
Moon Knight (1980 1st Series) 1 CGC 9.6      
GI Joe (1982 Marvel) 152 CGC 9.6      
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen (1954) 134 CGC 7.5      
Edge of Spider-Verse (2014 Marvel) 2C CGC 9.4 Second Printing.      
Uncanny X-Men (1963 1st Series) 221 CGC 9.4      
GI Joe (1982 Marvel) 21 CGC 9.2      
Star Wars (1977 Marvel) 43 CGC 9.4       
Spider-Gwen (2015 2nd Series) 1B CGC 9.8 Bradshaw Variant Cover.      
Thor God of Thunder (2012) 2A CGC 9.4       
Thor God of Thunder (2012) 5A CGC 9.4       

Venom Sinner Takes All (1995) 3 CGC 9.6 

Unsold

Fantasy Quarterly featuring Elfquest (1978) 1 CGC 9.6
Incredible Hulk (1962 Marvel 1st Series) 181 CGC 4.0
Star Wars (1977 Marvel) 41 CGC 9.4 
Star Wars (1977 Marvel) 41 CGC 9.2
Strange Tales (1951-1976 1st Series) 180 CBCS 9.4
Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) 4 CGC 9.6

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1984) 7REP.2ND CGC 9.2 Second Printing
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures (1988) Canadian Edition 1 CGC 9.4 Canadian Price Variant
Thor God of Thunder (2012) 6 CGC 9.6
Uncanny X-Men (1963 1st Series) 282 CGC 9.8
Uncanny X-Men (1963 1st Series) 282 CGC 9.6
Usagi Yojimbo (1987 1st Series Fantagraphics) 1 CGC 9.8

Out for recasing

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures (1988) Canadian Edition 1 CGC 9.8
Infinity Gauntlet (1991) 2 CGC 9.8

On 8/10/2022 at 5:53 PM, thehumantorch said:

Update to the 28 books we sent for mycomicshop consignment in May.  13 have sold.  13 remain unsold.  2 were sent out for re-holders, one because of an incorrect label and the other because the CGC case was damaged.    Most recent sales at top and oldest sales at bottom.  I'm definitely finding it harder to sell this time around but can't blame mycomicshop.  Demand is down and prices are generally dropping.  I've discounted everything about 10% twice and each time that has generated 1 or 2 sales.  Not sure I will drop the price of any of the books any further.  The Eternals #1 9.8 had a high last year of around $1600 but it's imploded.  Since we have almost nothing into it and I don't see any catalyst to drive it back up I dropped it a third time and it sold within an hour.

Eternals (1976 1st Series) 1 CGC 9.8      
Eternals (1976 1st Series) 1 CGC 9.2       
Moon Knight (1980 1st Series) 1 CGC 9.6      
GI Joe (1982 Marvel) 152 CGC 9.6      
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen (1954) 134 CGC 7.5      
Edge of Spider-Verse (2014 Marvel) 2C CGC 9.4 Second Printing.      
Uncanny X-Men (1963 1st Series) 221 CGC 9.4      
GI Joe (1982 Marvel) 21 CGC 9.2      
Star Wars (1977 Marvel) 43 CGC 9.4       
Spider-Gwen (2015 2nd Series) 1B CGC 9.8 Bradshaw Variant Cover.      
Thor God of Thunder (2012) 2A CGC 9.4       
Thor God of Thunder (2012) 5A CGC 9.4       

Venom Sinner Takes All (1995) 3 CGC 9.6 

Unsold

Fantasy Quarterly featuring Elfquest (1978) 1 CGC 9.6
Incredible Hulk (1962 Marvel 1st Series) 181 CGC 4.0
Star Wars (1977 Marvel) 41 CGC 9.4 
Star Wars (1977 Marvel) 41 CGC 9.2
Strange Tales (1951-1976 1st Series) 180 CBCS 9.4
Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) 4 CGC 9.6

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1984) 7REP.2ND CGC 9.2 Second Printing
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures (1988) Canadian Edition 1 CGC 9.4 Canadian Price Variant
Thor God of Thunder (2012) 6 CGC 9.6
Uncanny X-Men (1963 1st Series) 282 CGC 9.8
Uncanny X-Men (1963 1st Series) 282 CGC 9.6
Usagi Yojimbo (1987 1st Series Fantagraphics) 1 CGC 9.8

Out for recasing

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures (1988) Canadian Edition 1 CGC 9.8
Infinity Gauntlet (1991) 2 CGC 9.8

Thanks for posting this. There are many factors that are affecting the sale of our books, as you mentioned the down turn in the market and the less than stellar movie results definitely impacted the values of certain books.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:00 PM, manetteska said:

Is it possible to list the weekly modern new releases under the eBay Modern category instead of Golden Age?

@mycomicshop

Thanks for making me aware of that. Was a logic error for issues that got recorded in our system that didn't have a publication year recorded yet at the time they got posted to eBay. Fixed it so anything without a known publication date is assumed to be modern era.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:45 PM, KirbyTown said:

@mycomicshop

Want to say thanks for beginning what seems to be an initiative to take care of the Counterpoint covers etc 👍

That should be done now for all of our generic catalog issue images. Still need to make some updates to have something similar apply to actual item scans.

I just had a box of stuff delivered to MCS for consignment, but its still not showing in my account as received by them. What is the usual lag time between packages arriving and being processed? I don't want to call and bug them with a dumb question if I can get my dumb question answered here, first.  If its already been answered in the thread, my bad. I haven't had time to dig through and look.

On 8/12/2022 at 7:42 AM, speedcake said:

I just had a box of stuff delivered to MCS for consignment, but its still not showing in my account as received by them. What is the usual lag time between packages arriving and being processed? I don't want to call and bug them with a dumb question if I can get my dumb question answered here, first.  If its already been answered in the thread, my bad. I haven't had time to dig through and look.

It is taking longer than normal right now. I have a CGC book in processing since July 28th.  As it was an inhouse purchase, they usually get listed in a week, but this is taking far longer than normal.  As I doubt I am getting special treatment, I assume the delays are across the board.  Staff shortages, convention season,  vacations, covid, ect,ect....