• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

My latest adventure with MCS has begun. I have about 250 Underground/Adult Comics - everything from Zap and Big Comics to a bunch of Eros titles to Sally Forth and I spoke to Andrea at MCS about doing a lot to see how it goes. Not all of them but about 70 issues. She directed me to fill out and submit a form for consignment consideration as a lot using a submission tool which she gave me a link to.

I have about zero knowledge of Underground and Adult Comics so I figure I'd send MCS a detailed form with everything I put together and they would be the experts. I can't list all of the titles here as some violate all sorts of language and human decency :roflmao:but I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

On 5/20/2023 at 6:04 PM, Kramerica said:

My latest adventure with MCS has begun. I have about 250 Underground/Adult Comics - everything from Zap and Big Comics to a bunch of Eros titles to Sally Forth and I spoke to Andrea at MCS about doing a lot to see how it goes. Not all of them but about 70 issues. She directed me to fill out and submit a form for consignment consideration as a lot using a submission tool which she gave me a link to.

I have about zero knowledge of Underground and Adult Comics so I figure I'd send MCS a detailed form with everything I put together and they would be the experts. I can't list all of the titles here as some violate all sorts of language and human decency :roflmao:but I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

Undergrounds are hot right now.  You should do well.

Recently started consigning some slabs on MCS (via auctions) and am really happy with how easy it all went. On that note, I thought I saw somewhere that winners of auctions have 15 days to pay? Can someone confirm? What happens when they don't pay after that? Does a book/slab go back into another auction?

@mycomicshop

Edited by 850chris

Just did my first consignment with them (2nd one is in this week's auction) and I couldn't believe how easy it was.

The only thing that kind of surprised me (and this is probably all me) is that every one of my comics that were sent in were vastly graded lower than what I graded them. I'm not talking most of them, or even some of them, but EVERY one of them. And I'm not talking a little off, or slightly different grades, but very different grades. Again, this is probably an indication of how sucky I am at grading. ...but every one of them? I think my next batch that I send them, I'll post all of them in the PGM forum here first.

MCS1.jpg

MCS2.jpg

On 8/8/2023 at 8:16 AM, Gaard said:

Just did my first consignment with them (2nd one is in this week's auction) and I couldn't believe how easy it was.

The only thing that kind of surprised me (and this is probably all me) is that every one of my comics that were sent in were vastly graded lower than what I graded them. I'm not talking most of them, or even some of them, but EVERY one of them. And I'm not talking a little off, or slightly different grades, but very different grades. Again, this is probably an indication of how sucky I am at grading. ...but every one of them? I think my next batch that I send them, I'll post all of them in the PGM forum here first.

MCS1.jpg

MCS2.jpg

Seems like I remember you posting something similar recently, I didnt post this then, but it's a common theme, mycomicshop vf is almost NM every time.

In other words mycomicshop shop "under grades or has stricter standards on raws than cgc!". :cheers:

That's been known and said a long time, it's their model that use, they still realize prices though. :)

Idk who to tag to back me up, but if you read through the "my experience with mcs" thread, you should find similar stories to yours. Your grades might not have been too far off, but mycomicshop has their own criteria and graders trained for raws...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/8/2023 at 9:16 AM, Gaard said:

MCS1.jpg

MCS2.jpg

I'm purchasing all of those immediately! Eventually making :flipbait::foryou:

On 8/8/2023 at 7:30 AM, 850chris said:

Recently started consigning some slabs on MCS (via auctions) and am really happy with how easy it all went. On that note, I thought I saw somewhere that winners of auctions have 15 days to pay? Can someone confirm? What happens when they don't pay after that? Does a book/slab go back into another auction?

@mycomicshop

Yes, auction winners have at least three weeks to pay (which I personally find super annoying).  This is allowed because if someone wants to bid and win auctions in the following week, they can pay for two or three weeks worth of auctions and get combined shipping.  However, if you wind up with a deadbeat bidder who hasn't paid after three weeks, contact Este or Andrea and they'll allow you to relist the book for auction and ban the deadbeat bidder.

I consigned this back in 2019, and they graded it a VG/FN (5.0).  I'm still not sure why, but I must have missed something pretty obvious.  I admittedly am pretty lazy when it comes to grading, but my other books all came in about where I expected them to be.  (shrug)

I bought it for only $1 and sold it for $30, though, so I'm not really complaining.  (thumbsu

I think most people these days know how tight their grading is and factor that in when buying from them.  I've always had pretty good success selling with them.  I love those guys.  :cheers:

ASM601a.jpg

ASM601b.jpg

On 8/8/2023 at 9:23 AM, Gonzimodo said:

I consigned this back in 2019, and they graded it a VG/FN (5.0).  I'm still not sure why, but I must have missed something pretty obvious.  I admittedly am pretty lazy when it comes to grading, but my other books all came in about where I expected them to be.  (shrug)

I bought it for only $1 and sold it for $30, though, so I'm not really complaining.  (thumbsu

I think most people these days know how tight their grading is and factor that in when buying from them.  I've always had pretty good success selling with them.  I love those guys.  :cheers:

ASM601a.jpg

ASM601b.jpg

Looks like a standard VF.  

On 8/8/2023 at 5:30 AM, 850chris said:

@mycomicshop

A couple of years ago, I had a non-paying auction winner. I believe they gave me the option of seeing if the second bidder wanted it at his high bid, or just putting in back in the next auction.

I've had various non-paying bidders on MCS. After the three weeks are up, the item goes back into my consignment list and I can either set a BIN price or assign it to the next available auction. It's not a perfect system but I have had instances where the item sells for a higher price the second time around.

On 8/8/2023 at 7:30 AM, 850chris said:

@mycomicshop

Yes, if a buyer doesn't pay we'll cancel the original auction and you can resume with either a BIN listing or put it into a new auction.

On 8/8/2023 at 2:27 PM, mycomicshop said:

One thing I'll say about our grading--we readily acknowledge we downgrade more than CGC does for some interior defects like a partially detached centerfold.

In some cases where buyers think a book presents well from the cover images and we've graded it unexpectedly low, it may be due to interior defects or spine issues that don't necessarily show up well in images of just the front and back cover. Or, in the case of a slabbed book, any interior defects become completely invisible once the book is slabbed, but are easily seen by the buyer when we're selling a raw book.

Those aren't the only reasons why our grading may come in tighter than a seller expects, but in my experience, structural interior or spine defects are often responsible for the largest differences in opinion.

Yeah, in the comic I showed above, I'm guessing there must have been something internally that I missed.  As I said, I had almost nothing invested in the book, though, so it really wasn't a big deal.

I don't consign with MCS as often as I should (due to sheer laziness), but every time I have, it's been an excellent experience.  (thumbsu

On 8/8/2023 at 2:27 PM, mycomicshop said:

One thing I'll say about our grading--we readily acknowledge we downgrade more than CGC does for some interior defects like a partially detached centerfold.

In some cases where buyers think a book presents well from the cover images and we've graded it unexpectedly low, it may be due to interior defects or spine issues that don't necessarily show up well in images of just the front and back cover. Or, in the case of a slabbed book, any interior defects become completely invisible once the book is slabbed, but are easily seen by the buyer when we're selling a raw book.

Those aren't the only reasons why our grading may come in tighter than a seller expects, but in my experience, structural interior or spine defects are often responsible for the largest differences in opinion.

In the PGM forum we are only getting a 2d representation of the book but often there are often stuff that a scanned image cannot show like glossiness, staple detachments, and other interior issues...

.  I've always been pleased with the raw books I've bought from MCS. 

@mycomicshop : Loved dropping books off at Heroes to you guys!!  Saved a lot of time and money doing that versus shipping.  I see you are going to be at Baltimore, but any other shows as well over the next 3-5 months?  I would like to drop more slabs off to you from that collection :headbang:

On 8/8/2023 at 2:28 PM, SkOw said:

@mycomicshop : Loved dropping books off at Heroes to you guys!!  Saved a lot of time and money doing that versus shipping.  I see you are going to be at Baltimore, but any other shows as well over the next 3-5 months?  I would like to drop more slabs off to you from that collection :headbang:

Only other cons for us the rest of 2023 are Baltimore September 8-10, OAFCon in Oklahoma Sep 16-17, and the Collectors Summit at Heritage in Dallas in November. No other cons for us this year. Any cons in particular that you'd like us to be at? Heroes and Baltimore are solidly on our annual schedule at this point, but I'd be interested in extending some coverage to other parts of the country.

Anybody within driving distance of Dallas is also always welcome to drop off at our office.