• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

I recently consigned some CGC comics to MCS.  Great experience so far.  One thing I'd suggest is a better notification system for when you have received an Offer on a Buy It Now with "Or Best Offer" enabled.  It took me a while to even realize I had to click on "Review Offers I've Received" to know about them.  Also, another suggestion is to have a way to contact someone when "Expired waiting for your response" happens - that tends to happen just 'cause I didn't even realize there even was an offer on the table.  I'm checking it more often now that I know that, but it'd be nice if 1) the site notified me &/or 2) if I could be like "oh, hey, I missed seeing your offer - sorry about that - here's my Accept or Counter".

On 8/29/2023 at 5:13 PM, RobAnybody said:

I recently consigned some CGC comics to MCS.  Great experience so far.  One thing I'd suggest is a better notification system for when you have received an Offer on a Buy It Now with "Or Best Offer" enabled.  It took me a while to even realize I had to click on "Review Offers I've Received" to know about them.  Also, another suggestion is to have a way to contact someone when "Expired waiting for your response" happens - that tends to happen just 'cause I didn't even realize there even was an offer on the table.  I'm checking it more often now that I know that, but it'd be nice if 1) the site notified me &/or 2) if I could be like "oh, hey, I missed seeing your offer - sorry about that - here's my Accept or Counter".

I mentioned this a while back, but my notifications from MCS for received offers went straight to spam. You may wanna check there if you're not getting them.

I mean, that's fair, but who actually checks their email nowadays? :) It'd be better, IMO, if the MCS site had a notification clearly visible somewhere when you are logged in, along the lines of: "PING! You Have An Offer!" Just suggesting it - I have only great experiences so far. Not complaining.

On 8/8/2023 at 1:15 PM, mycomicshop said:

Yes, if a buyer doesn't pay we'll cancel the original auction and you can resume with either a BIN listing or put it into a new auction.

One thing I've thought about when a buyer doesn't pay is that it would be some consolation at least if the listing started over fresh, as if it were a new submission.  No previous pricing or # of days listed working against the seller.  

Hey @mycomicshop, two questions: 1)is there a better venue to suggest "improvement ideas" or ask "how does this work?" questions than here?  I totally don't mind doing it here, & actually kind of like it, b/c I can get other people's feedback on if my ideas are stupid or would be appreciated :) so there's that, but is there a "suggestion box" on your site that I should use, just wondering. Also, 2)...

...my suggestion is: I'd like a way to know what date my comic would go up for auction if/when I click on "Submit To Auction" before I click it.  As in, I get that I can withdraw the item after I've clicked it, & I can see what other similar issues are going to come up for auction that might influence that date. But, I don't know what you consider "similar". So, for example, if I see in your list when I click on My Book CGC 9.4 that I have on consignment & am considering putting it in an auction, what I see is:

The following items are already scheduled for auction:

My Book CGC 9.8 Starts [next week]

My Book CGC 9.0 Starts [next week]

My Book CGC SS 9.4 [starts in two weeks]

My Book VF [starts in two weeks]

My Book CGC 9.2  [starts in three weeks]

Is there a way for me to know, if I do assign My 9.4 Book to Auction, which week it would show up before actually assigning it? Like, would it go into the [next week] auction since there's not already a 9.4 in there?  Would it go into the "starts in two weeks" b/c mine is not SS?  Would it have to wait until four weeks, when all the existing have got their turn?  Not a pressing, super important question. Just curious. And if there's a FAQ for stuff like this, my bad, just point me there please. :)

On 8/8/2023 at 9:16 AM, Gaard said:

Just did my first consignment with them (2nd one is in this week's auction) and I couldn't believe how easy it was.

The only thing that kind of surprised me (and this is probably all me) is that every one of my comics that were sent in were vastly graded lower than what I graded them. I'm not talking most of them, or even some of them, but EVERY one of them. And I'm not talking a little off, or slightly different grades, but very different grades. Again, this is probably an indication of how sucky I am at grading. ...but every one of them? I think my next batch that I send them, I'll post all of them in the PGM forum here first.

MCS1.jpg

MCS2.jpg

Think about it from their perspective ... if they sell a consignment book you get paid. If someone returns it do they take the money away? So they want to make it highly unlikely anyone returns anything. So they hammer the consignment books on grade, at least from our perspective. In an efficient market folks know those books are probably tighter than cgc grading, so they buy accordingly, and don't assume the typical ebay overgrade. I have never bought anything from there that I thought was overgraded (albeit I have probably not bought anything they graded at higher than a VF+ and I don't think I have bought any consignment items that are not slabbed). 

Edited by the blob

I've had a low-grade DD1 on their site for about six months. I've had three best offers accepted and fallen through. It seems like someone is reserving them and trying to resell it. When it doesn't sell, he cancels. Meanwhile, my book has been unavailable to anyone else as he has it reserved. I'm not sure how to prevent this, but it is not working for the consigner.

On 9/17/2023 at 11:04 PM, RobAnybody said:

Hey @mycomicshop, two questions: 1)is there a better venue to suggest "improvement ideas" or ask "how does this work?" questions than here?  I totally don't mind doing it here, & actually kind of like it, b/c I can get other people's feedback on if my ideas are stupid or would be appreciated :) so there's that, but is there a "suggestion box" on your site that I should use, just wondering. Also, 2)...

...my suggestion is: I'd like a way to know what date my comic would go up for auction if/when I click on "Submit To Auction" before I click it.  As in, I get that I can withdraw the item after I've clicked it, & I can see what other similar issues are going to come up for auction that might influence that date. But, I don't know what you consider "similar". So, for example, if I see in your list when I click on My Book CGC 9.4 that I have on consignment & am considering putting it in an auction, what I see is:

The following items are already scheduled for auction:

My Book CGC 9.8 Starts [next week]

My Book CGC 9.0 Starts [next week]

My Book CGC SS 9.4 [starts in two weeks]

My Book VF [starts in two weeks]

My Book CGC 9.2  [starts in three weeks]

Is there a way for me to know, if I do assign My 9.4 Book to Auction, which week it would show up before actually assigning it? Like, would it go into the [next week] auction since there's not already a 9.4 in there?  Would it go into the "starts in two weeks" b/c mine is not SS?  Would it have to wait until four weeks, when all the existing have got their turn?  Not a pressing, super important question. Just curious. And if there's a FAQ for stuff like this, my bad, just point me there please. :)

I'm not sure I understand the issue.  When I click on "Set Price/Auction" there is a drop down box right above "assign to auction" that allows me to chose which week it goes into, starting with the next date that is available to me. 

On 9/18/2023 at 6:30 PM, goldsilverap said:

Not to high jack the thread, but I was wondering how is mycomicshop for buying? Do they ship out quickly?

I've found them timely as any bsuiness run entity, compared to some sellers on ebay where life can get in the way. A business atmosphere they have enough back ups for the job, and I've not known of too many delays, bascically if it is a mail day it can ship out; however, unlike ebay I've never had same day shipping if done on a mail day and in the morning.

Small potatoes that one, I think they do well :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/18/2023 at 6:55 PM, Nick Furious said:

I'm not sure I understand the issue.  When I click on "Set Price/Auction" there is a drop down box right above "assign to auction" that allows me to chose which week it goes into, starting with the next date that is available to me. 

You understood the question. It was me simply missing something obvious. :makepoint: Thanks!

On 9/18/2023 at 6:30 PM, goldsilverap said:

Not to high jack the thread, but I was wondering how is mycomicshop for buying? Do they ship out quickly?

I would give them a 10 out of 10.  And you should be checking out their weekly auction ending every Monday night.  Like the one ending right now: Weekly Auction Ending Sep 18 (mycomicshop.com)

On 8/29/2023 at 8:59 PM, RobAnybody said:

I mean, that's fair, but who actually checks their email nowadays? :) It'd be better, IMO, if the MCS site had a notification clearly visible somewhere when you are logged in, along the lines of: "PING! You Have An Offer!" Just suggesting it - I have only great experiences so far. Not complaining.

Maybe an option to have offer notifications sent to your phone via text rather than to email?

On 9/19/2023 at 9:39 AM, marmat said:

I have a submission sitting as received since Sept 4.

My previous submission also took a long while before It was ready to list

In my experience it's usually less than a week for them to list and image a submission.  Perhaps they're busy (shrug) .  Hopefully they get yours up soon.

On 9/19/2023 at 10:39 AM, marmat said:

I have a submission sitting as received since Sept 4.

My previous submission also took a long while before It was ready to list

I recently checked in with a submission I've been waiting to list (and still waiting).  The response I received from Andrea was there were quite a number of staff out sick and thus the reason for the delay.

I have a question on how/why things work like they do: If I assign something to an auction, & that auction is, like, a month from now, why not keep it on my Buy It Now list until that auction starts? It appears (from what I see) that it gets removed from my active listings & is just in limbo for a month. Just curious, what's the reasoning behind that? Wouldn't it be better to keep my Buy It Now listing active until the Auction starts?

On 9/24/2023 at 8:05 PM, RobAnybody said:

I have a question on how/why things work like they do: If I assign something to an auction, & that auction is, like, a month from now, why not keep it on my Buy It Now list until that auction starts? It appears (from what I see) that it gets removed from my active listings & is just in limbo for a month. Just curious, what's the reasoning behind that? Wouldn't it be better to keep my Buy It Now listing active until the Auction starts?

I've thought about the same thing before.  I think the answer is that there are a specific number of slots in each auction.  When you assign something to auction you reserve one of those slots.  If the book got sold a few days before the auction, that would leave a slot empty.