• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

News about new book being burned in more than 20 schools in canada
2 2

61 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2021 at 4:35 PM, Namtak said:

It is a case of french community school so the info i found was in french but see for yourself there might be english websites that talk about it,while i understand some i found it to be too extreme like in the case of pochahontas and asterix and obelix but i might be wrong,but destroying them and burning them ,that i just cant stand it.well thats me .....what is your opinion?

They didn't destroy them or burn them.  They retired the books.  4,700 in total. When books are retired, you dispose of them, since you no longer need the item, nor do you wish to pay for storage etc for books you are not going to use.  So they were thrown out.   30 of the 4,700 books were burned in a symbolic ceremony with the members of the Indigenous nation present.  Then the ashes from that burning were used as fertilizer for a tree planted to symbolize good coming from bad.  

On 9/8/2021 at 11:25 AM, jaybuck43 said:

They didn't destroy them or burn them.  They retired the books.  4,700 in total. When books are retired, you dispose of them, since you no longer need the item, nor do you wish to pay for storage etc for books you are not going to use.  So they were thrown out.   30 of the 4,700 books were burned in a symbolic ceremony with the members of the Indigenous nation present.  Then the ashes from that burning were used as fertilizer for a tree planted to symbolize good coming from bad.  

Link

On 9/8/2021 at 1:30 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Link

The link the OP provided. It's in French, but I speak it.  The school system wrote an entire 165 page report about the whole thing, I can try to track it down, but I suspect it's also in French.  Not to mention, the name of the project was Redonnons à la terre (Give Back To The Earth).

On 9/8/2021 at 11:57 AM, jaybuck43 said:

The link the OP provided. It's in French, but I speak it.  The school system wrote an entire 165 page report about the whole thing, I can try to track it down, but I suspect it's also in French.  Not to mention, the name of the project was Redonnons à la terre (Give Back To The Earth).

Thanks for the interpretation. I took French from grade 4 to 6 and pretty much back to knowing none of it

On 9/8/2021 at 6:25 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Then the ashes from that burning were used as fertilizer for a tree planted to symbolize good coming from bad.  

One can only hope the same happened to Wertham.

On 9/8/2021 at 1:57 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Some were recycled too 

On 9/8/2021 at 1:57 PM, jaybuck43 said:

the name of the project was Redonnons à la terre (Give Back To The Earth).

Thanks. There's usually a purported justification, meant to assuage any second-thoughts or regrets over the "removing" or "recycling" of books with content that are objectionable to some.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:35 PM, Namtak said:

Some were recycled too 

Books get recycled all the time at libraries and schools. What do you think happens to outdated textbooks? People freaking out over a First Nations ceremonial burning of 30 books is a tempest in a teapot.