• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The B&W Grendel Club
2 2

83 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2023 at 6:32 PM, grendel013 said:

Btw... what does anybody think reasonable values would be? I really don't think I'll ever sell these but when I insured them, I think I valued the set for about $18k just to cover my . Thoughts?  At this time I think a set of all 9.6's could be accumulated for less than $3k but considering the rarity of the 9.8's I definitely can't go by the price guide. I think COMICMYLARS tried to corner the market and I never spoke to WASMITH but he's probably like me, a true fan of Grendel and won't let his set go unless a tragedy occurred. Thoughts?

It may be my sentimentality on these, but even at 18k,  I would rather have the books in hand than insurance monies. That said, a third party can easily refute the value despite the rarity. Grats on that set btw. Beautiful copies.

On 2/10/2023 at 8:51 PM, grendel013 said:

Here they are in all their glory. Next step is to send the Primer #2 and Grendel #3 back to CGC for new labels and slabs. The slabs are in decent shape but the labels need an update. Especially the Primer which was graded in 2003.

EF424666-72D3-4E3C-8D55-49EA8DEDFFE7.jpeg

03C4F9B8-A2AE-4AD6-89A4-F9391F90C940.jpeg

1E4CDB24-A81D-40F7-88D8-B62B23F3ED1A.jpeg

04CAB5B2-1029-4E6F-A824-E30179E94C60.jpeg

7BB94B6F-AB0D-4CB3-88F1-FDFC4A1F820D.jpeg

Please dont re-slab Primer 2.  Im partial to the old label goodness.

On 2/18/2023 at 11:47 AM, Parabellum said:

Please dont re-slab Primer 2.  Im partial to the old label goodness.

I feel ya but it’s too late. CGC is in possession of them as we speak. I just hate that the grade is so tiny. You can’t even see it from my display case causing people to want to get closer and pick it up. If I was just into collecting keys, I would have left it be. But I want the whole set to be uniform.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:03 AM, JT307 said:

It may be my sentimentality on these, but even at 18k,  I would rather have the books in hand than insurance monies. That said, a third party can easily refute the value despite the rarity. Grats on that set btw. Beautiful copies.

My personal collection isn’t very big so I would be okay being “the Grendel guy” for the rest of my life. I’d sell everything else but this set would be tremendously difficult for me to let go. It would really take a personal tragedy for me to sell. Even then, since I have already hit some financial rocky points in my life, I’d probably find some other way. I think I’d sell my vehicle and ride my bike before I sold these. 🤣

Oh! One other thing… (I feel like I’ve taken over the chat board)… I am now also the proud owned of a complete set of all 9.6 white page Grendels. I purchased a Grendel #3 yesterday. Almost giving up on getting all 9.8s, I started putting together a set of 9.6s over the last two years. Since I was only shy the one issue, I figured I should complete it regardless of completing the set with 9.8s.  Now THIS set may go up for sale. But being such a super fan, I’m in no hurry to sell and think I’ll hold onto them as well. 

On 2/16/2023 at 4:02 AM, grendel013 said:

Are you saying that getting the first appearance of Skrog slabbed is a waste of money? :roflmao:LOL.  I see someone on ebay is selling a 9.6 Skrog #1. I'd buy it but not for the $90 he's asking.

I guess it's really just a case of:  To each, their own.  (thumbsu

Especially since you yourself said that you wouldn't take a Skrog 1 for $90 (which is NOT even listed in the Overstreet guide BTW), so does his first appearance even carry much value, if any at all?  (shrug)

Then again, I do have a copy of Primer 1 in my collection, so I most certainly do hope it has some value.  Actually, surprised that I ran across one in my collection, but not sure if I have a copy of Primer 2 though because I probably thought it wasn't worth buying after seeing that first issue.  doh!  :(

Big kudos to you on completing your Comico Primer and Grendel sets because it's always nice to get your grail in the end.  :applause:

On 2/19/2023 at 2:13 PM, lou_fine said:

I guess it's really just a case of:  To each, their own.  (thumbsu

Especially since you yourself said that you wouldn't take a Skrog 1 for $90 (which is NOT even listed in the Overstreet guide BTW), so does his first appearance even carry much value, if any at all?  (shrug)

Then again, I do have a copy of Primer 1 in my collection, so I most certainly do hope it has some value.  Actually, surprised that I ran across one in my collection, but not sure if I have a copy of Primer 2 though because I probably thought it wasn't worth buying after seeing that first issue.  doh!  :(

Big kudos to you on completing your Comico Primer and Grendel sets because it's always nice to get your grail in the end.  :applause:

Thank you sir! And here’s the added twist with my relationship with Skrog… Besides the indicas for Grendel #1 and Skrog #1 being switched during printing, I happen to share the same last name of the creator of Skrog. And although I did not pull the trigger on purchasing the 9.6 Skrog #1, I did recently purchase 8 raw copies for $13 from an eBay seller recently. I ended up giving a copy to my brother and 7 of my cousins. 🙂 Besides Primer #1 and Skrog #1, I also have a copy of the Skrog Special that reprints issue 1 and the never released issue 2. So I do consider myself a Skrog completist. I’m actually a completist of every early B&W Comico comic. If the guy drops his price about $50 I def would grab the 9.6 but $90 is just too much… or is it???🤣

Oh… and for any one interested in having a complete set of these Grendels all in 9.6 white pages, now is the time to buy. eBay has a Primer #2 for $1600 (now $1500) and two Grendel #1s for $480 and $500. Shortboxed has issue 2 for $300 and issue 3 for $250. So for $2630 (now $2530) plus all the tax and shipping you can have the entire set cgc new universal blue labels 9.6 white pages. I wish it was this easy when I was building my set! I was ordering raw copies from Ed Koch and making deals with Jonny Quest artist Mark Hempel trying to get pristine copies to submit myself to CGC. Geez you kids have it easy these days. 🤣

Edited by grendel013

On 2/19/2023 at 6:42 PM, grendel013 said:

Oh… and for any one interested in having a complete set of these Grendels all in 9.6 white pages, now is the time to buy. eBay has a Primer #2 for $1600 (now $1500) and two Grendel #1s for $480 and $500. Shortboxed has issue 2 for $300 and issue 3 for $250. So for $2630 (now $2530) plus all the tax and shipping you can have the entire set cgc new universal blue labels 9.6 white pages. I wish it was this easy when I was building my set! I was ordering raw copies from Ed Koch and making deals with Jonny Quest artist Mark Hempel trying to get pristine copies to submit myself to CGC. Geez you kids have it easy these days. 🤣

For me the hardest book to find with white pages was #1.  I managed to get Primer 2 and Grendel 2, 3 within a month; #1 took me almost a year and half to find.  I agree, now is the time to buy.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:47 AM, Parabellum said:

For me the hardest book to find with white pages was #1.  I managed to get Primer 2 and Grendel 2, 3 within a month; #1 took me almost a year and half to find.  I agree, now is the time to buy.

Someone must have snagged the Grendel #2 9.6 white pager off of Shortboxed. It was listed on there for $300. There were copies on eBay not too long ago for under $200 including the one I grabbed. Someone really should grab the number ones because of the page color and the price. I did contact both sellers and the issues were already cleaned and pressed so I doubt they are candidates for resubmitting to try to get upgraded to 9.8. Folks should keep that in mind if you have 9.6s that were graded prior to cleaning and pressing becoming available. 

On 2/21/2023 at 7:56 AM, grendel013 said:

Someone must have snagged the Grendel #2 9.6 white pager off of Shortboxed. It was listed on there for $300. There were copies on eBay not too long ago for under $200 including the one I grabbed. Someone really should grab the number ones because of the page color and the price. I did contact both sellers and the issues were already cleaned and pressed so I doubt they are candidates for resubmitting to try to get upgraded to 9.8. Folks should keep that in mind if you have 9.6s that were graded prior to cleaning and pressing becoming available. 

I think my Primer 2 could press out to a 9.8.  Grendel 1-3 are solid 9.6’s but not 9.8’s.  The only issue with Primer 2 is one tiny spine tick and a that just barely breaks color and a “wrinkle” on the top right corner on the back.  I have seen this same defect at the same spot on other 9.8’s.  But Im really hesitant to crack the case and resubmit.  I’d give it a 50/50 chance of an upgrade.  

180F74F9-1260-4C17-8F9D-7C097553C681.jpeg

FBF7D7D1-F5F8-43FB-94E9-0CD3D6E7928C.jpeg

8336D980-7F8F-4BE9-A07D-3CF7B6660CB3.jpeg

4F22CDC3-C19E-4AB2-949D-0AD1604588DA.jpeg

38EF0DB9-B82E-457A-9CA3-6BADAD6FDFBF.jpeg

1DF638DF-6A2D-4065-979E-87AE3C29885F.jpeg

D8F20621-909A-4353-B119-CBF9FE9E124B.jpeg

82E58A0E-D610-4F06-BBC8-92659D25F8BA.jpeg

Edited by Parabellum

On 2/21/2023 at 8:23 AM, Parabellum said:

I think my Primer 2 could press out to a 9.8.  Grendel 1-3 are solid 9.6’s but not 9.8’s.  The only issue with Primer 2 is one tiny spine tick and a that just barely breaks color and a “wrinkle” on the top right corner on the back.  I have seen this same defect at the same spot on other 9.8’s.  But Im really hesitant to crack the case and resubmit.  I’d give it a 50/50 chance of an upgrade.  

180F74F9-1260-4C17-8F9D-7C097553C681.jpeg

FBF7D7D1-F5F8-43FB-94E9-0CD3D6E7928C.jpeg

8336D980-7F8F-4BE9-A07D-3CF7B6660CB3.jpeg

4F22CDC3-C19E-4AB2-949D-0AD1604588DA.jpeg

38EF0DB9-B82E-457A-9CA3-6BADAD6FDFBF.jpeg

1DF638DF-6A2D-4065-979E-87AE3C29885F.jpeg

D8F20621-909A-4353-B119-CBF9FE9E124B.jpeg

82E58A0E-D610-4F06-BBC8-92659D25F8BA.jpeg

My Grendel #1 had the one tiny stress line on the spine as stated in the grader notes but still was awarded the 9.8. The Primer is a different animal because of the black cover. It’s definitely a pricey risk but sending to CGC for cleaning and pressing and then a regrade MAY pay off. But just make sure you let them crack the slab open if you decide to go this route. Then they know that it’s already been graded a 9.6 and you’re paying for the clean and press and the regrade. They may lean towards upgrading to a 9.8 because they see through your submission that that’s what you’re trying to do. They will assign a new certification number if you go this route which I did not realize. Don’t crack it open yourself and do the cleaning/pressing outside of CGC and resubmit as a raw book. Then it lowers your chance of getting the 9.8. Heck, they could lower the grade on you. 

On 2/21/2023 at 11:50 AM, grendel013 said:

My Grendel #1 had the one tiny stress line on the spine as stated in the grader notes but still was awarded the 9.8. The Primer is a different animal because of the black cover. It’s definitely a pricey risk but sending to CGC for cleaning and pressing and then a regrade MAY pay off. But just make sure you let them crack the slab open if you decide to go this route. Then they know that it’s already been graded a 9.6 and you’re paying for the clean and press and the regrade. They may lean towards upgrading to a 9.8 because they see through your submission that that’s what you’re trying to do. They will assign a new certification number if you go this route which I did not realize. Don’t crack it open yourself and do the cleaning/pressing outside of CGC and resubmit as a raw book. Then it lowers your chance of getting the 9.8. Heck, they could lower the grade on you. 

Totally agree with you in regards to a resubmit.  I would never crack this slab myself.  I would want CGC to see the prior grade.  Maybe one day I’ll gather up the courage to do it, hahaha.

On 2/21/2023 at 4:38 PM, Parabellum said:

Totally agree with you in regards to a resubmit.  I would never crack this slab myself.  I would want CGC to see the prior grade.  Maybe one day I’ll gather up the courage to do it, hahaha.

You really have three choices if they ever present themselves.1) Buy an already graded 9.8 and probably pay a whopper for it. (At least there are 42 graded universal blue.) 2) Buy up raw copies as they become available and submit those after a cleaning. (You know you’re not gonna want to chance submitting without a clean and a press now that that has become the norm.) 3) Send yours for a clean and press and then ask for a regrade. 
I needed to do all three over the last 20 years to get the 9.8 set. Do the math and think about it for a bit. Your book isn’t going anywhere so take your time if you’re not sure. I only pulled the trigger when I was ready. 

On 2/21/2023 at 6:06 PM, grendel013 said:

You really have three choices if they ever present themselves.1) Buy an already graded 9.8 and probably pay a whopper for it. (At least there are 42 graded universal blue.) 2) Buy up raw copies as they become available and submit those after a cleaning. (You know you’re not gonna want to chance submitting without a clean and a press now that that has become the norm.) 3) Send yours for a clean and press and then ask for a regrade. 
I needed to do all three over the last 20 years to get the 9.8 set. Do the math and think about it for a bit. Your book isn’t going anywhere so take your time if you’re not sure. I only pulled the trigger when I was ready. 

The only problem with me having Primer 2 in 9.8 is then I will have to get the rest of the set in 9.8……:roflmao:.  Well, I made it happen with my 9.8 Crow set so maybe the comic gods will smile on me once more.

On 2/21/2023 at 9:20 PM, Parabellum said:

The only problem with me having Primer 2 in 9.8 is then I will have to get the rest of the set in 9.8……:roflmao:.  Well, I made it happen with my 9.8 Crow set so maybe the comic gods will smile on me once more.

Since you have the set in 9,6 white I would think that is an option! What makes you think issues 1-3 wouldn’t get the 9.8 after a clean and a press? Were they already pressed? If there was some major defect I’d think they wouldn’t grade 9.6 in the first place. For an $1000 investment you could potentially make a $3000 set into a $18,000 set.
Wow! Now this is REAL gambling now that I think about it. 🤣