• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The B&W Grendel Club
2 2

83 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2023 at 7:41 AM, grendel013 said:

Since you have the set in 9,6 white I would think that is an option! What makes you think issues 1-3 wouldn’t get the 9.8 after a clean and a press? Were they already pressed? If there was some major defect I’d think they wouldn’t grade 9.6 in the first place. For an $1000 investment you could potentially make a $3000 set into a $18,000 set.
Wow! Now this is REAL gambling now that I think about it. 🤣

😂

Issues 1-3 are solid 9.6’s but each issue has 1-2 small color breaking spine ticks unfortunately.  Primer 2 is the only one that really has a shot.  That would be awesome if they all upgraded to 9.8 with a clean and press.  I would really want to have a good look at 1-3 in 9.8 and compare them to mine.

Just wanted to post this pic. This is an advertisement for B&W Grendel #2. Would love to know if Matt Wagner still has the original art or if not where it ended up. I remember seeing the artwork for the cover of issue #1 (MY FAVORITE) on eBay years ago but the auction was out of my price range at the time. To me, these early ads are just as important as they are so rare and limited.

BEDD028E-1D0D-4B45-B868-14A581C4CC11.jpeg

On 3/3/2023 at 11:44 AM, Alawson453 said:

That is such an awesome set and accomplishment!

But did you see my set of 9.8s all white pages? That took me 20 years to put together. You can put together a set of 9.6s today by going on ebay and Shortboxed for about $3000.

On 3/7/2023 at 9:43 PM, grendel013 said:

So for folks following along, after 20 years of searching and submitting, I recently acquired a Grendel #1 and #2 in CGC 9.8 universal white pages. Once that happened I decided to send my Primer #2 and Grendel #3 (already graded 9.8 universal white pages) back to CGC to get reholdered so all the labels and cases matched. I wanted this collection to truly be the best set available. They just came back today. Here is a pic of these beauties. 😈

93B71703-DA69-4D2A-BE01-EBF8AA87ABE8.jpeg

God Bless America…..:jawdrop:(worship)

Im jealous….seriously that set looks amazing.  I admire your perseverance.

On 3/11/2023 at 12:26 AM, Parabellum said:

God Bless America…..:jawdrop:(worship)

Im jealous….seriously that set looks amazing.  I admire your perseverance.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

My collecting days may be over. This is all I ever wanted. Not sure if there is anything else that I would want to collect now that I have my grail.

On 3/11/2023 at 2:50 PM, grendel013 said:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

My collecting days may be over. This is all I ever wanted. Not sure if there is anything else that I would want to collect now that I have my grail.

If your collecting days are over you went out with a bang in my opinion.

On 9/27/2022 at 2:39 PM, SuperBird said:

Netflix dropped the series, sadly. Or maybe for the best, based on how spoon Netflix has been of late. 

They dropped Jeff Smith's Bone the series too.  Matt Wagner and Jeff Smith are my favorite artists/writers.

On 9/27/2022 at 4:16 PM, SuperBird said:

TBH I think Mage would be easier to translate to a series? I am pretty sure Netflix has access to all his creations...

On 9/27/2022 at 8:56 PM, F For Fake said:

I think Mage would be a killer series, and should be easy enough to translate, as you said.

With Grendel it looks like they’ve already shot a few episodes, so I hope someone will pick it up. Of course, in an era when studios are scrapping entire big budget movies, I guess it’s possible this will never see the out of day. Here’s to hoping!

I have full run of Mage The Hero Discovered/Defined - all are raw copies but I have several CGC graded books (#1 and #8 only).  It would be great for Netflix - 15-16 issues each title - Mage Hero Discovered, Mage Hero Defined then Mage Hero Denied (I never read Hero Denied) can be adapted into the series on TV.

On 3/23/2023 at 7:58 PM, JollyComics said:

I have full run of Mage The Hero Discovered/Defined - all are raw copies but I have several CGC graded books (#1 and #8 only).  It would be great for Netflix - 15-16 issues each title - Mage Hero Discovered, Mage Hero Defined then Mage Hero Denied (I never read Hero Denied) can be adapted into the series on TV.

What actor do you think would make a good Kevin Matchstick?

On 3/24/2023 at 10:16 AM, grendel013 said:
On 3/23/2023 at 7:23 PM, JollyComics said:

Kevin Smith but he must lose 60 lbs or more.  He needs a personal trainer.

That's so funny. xD I always thought of Kevin Smith as Matt Wagner's fat brother

He had a major heart attack and isn't fat anymore. He survived the Death Widow vein or something

On 3/24/2023 at 12:09 PM, JollyComics said:

He was kicked off (deplaned) the plane because of his overweight.

ah interesting, I follow him on Facebook, now he's "somewhat" vegan and goes for walks that he records and posts. I want to ask you if your comment is recent or within the last 2 years, but I'll trust you :) He was also a spokes person for weight watchers for a time :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/24/2023 at 12:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ah interesting, I follow him on Facebook, now he's "somewhat" vegan and goes for walks that he records and posts. I want to ask you if your comment is recent or within the last 2 years, but I'll trust you :) He was also a spokes person for weight watchers for a time :) 

Oh I am talking about the past, not present.  I am happy for him to watch his weight for being time.