• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Nuke and pills insprie Matrix movie?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I never thought about the pills until I re-read Daredevil #232 - 1st appearance of Nuke.  It was published in 1986 so Matrix was not made until 1999.

No one ever mentioned about the pills not even Frank Miller who wrote it.  Marvel Comics said nothing.

You can see here.....

1248310-ddnuke_super.jpg930297485_ScreenShot2021-10-02at8_17_10PM.png.ae4cb70f046ad41a9af5c9d7b101f41b.png

Now Matrix...

What is your thought?   Did Matrix writer take the idea of Red/Blue pills from Nuke's pills?

Edited by JollyComics

I’ve seen a Bandes Dessinee with the matrix pod right down to all the tubes and the feeding tube thing but it was on a space ship for suspended animation, but there is no way the movie independently came up with the same exact thing down to the tiniest detail. I think the Wachowakis were comic fans so I don’t doubt any number of inspirations from comics

Nothing whatever to do with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland or Through the Looking Glass, which is directly referenced by the movie. Or the subsequent pop culture of the reference such as Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit. 

tumblr_pne4kslnzF1r6hbrlo6_1280.thumb.png.9239249efe4f6c8fae29b6e9b110e643.png

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er
Post edited by Wertham

On 10/3/2021 at 7:29 AM, dupont2005 said:

I’ve seen a Bandes Dessinee with the matrix pod right down to all the tubes and the feeding tube thing but it was on a space ship for suspended animation, but there is no way the movie independently came up with the same exact thing down to the tiniest detail. I think the Wachowakis were comic fans so I don’t doubt any number of inspirations from comics

I agree.  The idea could’ve been taken from Metal Hurlant / Heavy Metal or any number of European sources. 

Quite common to find conditions in which an individual is dissociated from the world and considers the possibility that there might be something artificial about it, such as with autism and psychosis, perceptions which can also be altered therapeutically with medication, that is, ‘pills’.  As a starting point this doesn’t really require anything based upon philosophy.  Give the transition between states of awareness a then fairly early tech, internet spin, and copy the basic idea used in Alex Proyas’ Dark City.