• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions needed please: selling to Mycomicshop or Heritage?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

On 10/3/2021 at 4:15 PM, Badlands said:

Looking for opinions from members who have sold to both Mycomicshop and Heritage, pros, con's, etc. I have purchased quite a bit from each but never sold anything to them.

I am looking at selling some higher end Marvel keys (Hulk 1, FF 1, ASM 1, etc) now and in the next few years when I retire. It would be nice to get some solid advice from experienced people. Also, auction style or BIN?

Appreciate your thoughts!

In all honesty, MCS, Heritage, Blazing Bob, ComicLink, ComicConnect are among the top tier, blue chip buyers and sellers in the hobby. There are subtle differences in exposure, fees, lag time for payment, etc., but in choosing any of these, what in my estimation are arguably the big 5, you're not going to go too wrong in choosing any one of them over the other.   (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

Edited by James J Johnson

I have sold through My Comic Shop in the past, both raw and slabs. I have done straight out sales and auction style. 

The issue I have with MCS is when they list a book of mine for auction/sale that is CGC, they have it noted that the slab has “wear, scuff marks, etc…” on a brand new book. The edges of the slab are normally with small nicks or wear just from normal handling even prior to being shipped from CGC.  I have had thousands of slabs in and out of my collection over the past 20+ years and they all it. As a buyer, when they read this, they might be less interested in bidding. Large scans are provided by MCS and this doesn’t show up, so it’s written into the description. 

MCS does this consistently and it really makes me wonder if I will continue to consign with them when my 150 book submission comes back to in the few weeks 

Edited by comicartfan

On 10/4/2021 at 7:21 AM, Badlands said:

A couple of questions and or statements to this:

1. 30%? Their fee table shows 10% or less; what am I missing?

2. I have definitely considered the ebay route and I have excellent feedback, but for that kind of money I'm afraid of a buyer scam (never received it, gets refunded)

1. 20 percent buyers premium. I don't know a single big buyer who ignores this. They simply bid 20 percent less than they are willing to pay. Now I have seen tons of books get good money. But I am not willing to take the chance I will be that lucky, still likely to make more money elsewhere, and not going to help line someone's pocket who is possibly buying without paying the premium.

2. Only rookies get scammed. They simply don't have a block list of known scammers. Don't check feedback. Make claims of ebay doesn't allow negative feedback on buyers not knowing to simply look at positive feedback. They ship out of country. They ship to lil or no feedback buyers. I now have enough contacts that I don't need auction houses for good stuff. But I have sold 5 and even a few 6 figure books on ebay with no problem. Most scammers only have a credit card. They can't pay for anything over 10 grand. Unless you ship to people who haven't paid it's hard to get scammed. Every buyer was a well known collector or dealer. If you don't like the buyer you don't ship. You contact ebay, tell them your concern, ask if they will guarantee you won't have to do a return or refund, of course they won't so you cancel order and don't have to worry about fees or negative feedback because ebay recommended that you don't ship to that buyer. 

For big keys - best experience has been on eBay.  I list the keys and can get well over FMV and the commissions are less than 10% if you purchase a store.  Purchasing a store is absolutely worth it.  Heritage sounds great but the lowest they could get the commission was 7.5-8% and I'm pretty confident I can get that and a high price just buy doing BIN w/offer submissions on eBay.  

The other advantage to eBay is about the buyers of big keys will want to do a deal directly and if they stumble across your IG or website - it's almost always because they found me on eBay - in which case I'm now selling with 0% fees to eBay/Heritage etc.

On 10/4/2021 at 8:13 AM, James J Johnson said:

In all honesty, MCS, Heritage, Blazing Bob, ComicLink, ComicConnect are among the top tier, blue chip buyers and sellers in the hobby. There are subtle differences in exposure, fees, lag time for payment, etc., but in choosing any of these, what in my estimation are arguably the big 5, you're not going to go too wrong in choosing any one of them over the other.   (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

And this is exactly what I was thinking.  We're lucky to have multiple, competitive, quality venues for selling

On 10/4/2021 at 7:39 AM, blazingbob said:

For big ticket sellers here are my rates.  I don't have to negotiate high to low depending on how good your book is.  Everybody gets treated the same.  

10% up to $9,999

8.75% from $10K - $99,999

7.5% over $100K

I do not charge sellers or buyers cc or paypal fees, cost of doing business.

Any questions you can always send me a message or email.

^^

On 10/4/2021 at 3:15 PM, OuterBanks said:

Heritage sounds great but the lowest they could get the commission was 7.5-8%

you can do better if you mean sellers fees, heck the BSDs get 0% AND some of the buyers fees from what I hear. I have only had a few consignments but you can do much much better on the seller fee than 7%. It depends on a lot of factors but you can do much better.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:24 AM, Bird said:

you can do better if you mean sellers fees, heck the BSDs get 0% AND some of the buyers fees from what I hear. I have only had a few consignments but you can do much much better on the seller fee than 7%. It depends on a lot of factors but you can do much better.

So HA is willing to void the seller commission and even reduce their buyer's premium?  I still don't know if that's as good as eBay - overall, less than 10% in fees overall and I can negotiate directly with the seller.   Is HA willing to eliminate all but 7-8% of the total fees?

On 10/5/2021 at 2:25 PM, OuterBanks said:

So HA is willing to void the seller commission and even reduce their buyer's premium?  I still don't know if that's as good as eBay - overall, less than 10% in fees overall and I can negotiate directly with the seller.   Is HA willing to eliminate all but 7-8% of the total fees?

Yes,  some of the BSD's do get these things.  However,  how does it make you feel if you don't?  Or if you didn't know you could negotiate them down?  While the world does have the "haves" and "have nots" I prefer not to be lumped into a category.

On 10/5/2021 at 2:25 PM, OuterBanks said:

I cannot speak for HA. But yes, you can get the sellers commission voided (I can attest to that directly) and can possibly get some of that buyers premium as well (or so I have heard). It is about what you are consigning obviously (they don't want my signed baseballs/footballs for instance but love those comics and comic art).

On 10/5/2021 at 2:28 PM, blazingbob said:

Yes,  some of the BSD's do get these things.  However,  how does it make you feel if you don't?  Or if you didn't know you could negotiate them down?  While the world does have the "haves" and "have nots" I prefer not to be lumped into a category.

I'm with you on that - ideally we should have these data points published in the open so collectors can make an informed decision.  

I'm the tiniest of sellers on eBay (a speck...a mote...) so I probably don't get as big a discount as the previous posters but fees/shipping account for 18.7% of my Total Sales. (I only ship Priority and have only sold slabs so far.) (shrug)

Some of these other options sound pretty good actually...  (And a lot less work.) (thumbsu