• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading conundrum with multiple copies
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Maybe its the fact that Halloween is right around the corner and I'm being superstitious.  That or its some OCD issue that I have.  I have a question on submitting a large batch of the same issue.

Last fall I purchased 80 copies of Alpha Flight #1 in an online auction.  They looked good from the photos but up close even better, 9.6 or 9.8 copies, never read or circulated guessing from a comic book shop liquidation as they were all bagged and boarded.  Plus when you go to open the cover on one of the copies its as if it hadn't been opened before.  I'm sending them off to be cleaned and pressed as well hopefully landing higher grades as they go to CGC eventually.

My conundrum is this, I usually do 20 books to a modern tier submission.  My fear is the subjective nature of grading.  I know there are CGC guidelines as to what constitutes a 9.8 versus a 9.2 for example.  However reading the forums there seems to some leeway where the grader's subjective nature also figures in.  Just like a teacher or referee, there are harder ones and there are easier ones.

With that I'm thinking of sprinkling in say 5 copies to a 20 book modern submission, 15 of the books being other titles or non-Alpha Flight #1.  My concern is that I send in say 20 copies of the same issue and get someone that is a bit more critical, well I might not fair so well.  There again I might get the opposite and be pleasantly surprised.

Just curious if anyone else puts as much thought into submitting multiple issues of the same copy.  I'm most likely over thinking this but I wanted to check.

On 10/4/2021 at 12:16 AM, Jfend72 said:

Hi all,

Maybe its the fact that Halloween is right around the corner and I'm being superstitious.  That or its some OCD issue that I have.  I have a question on submitting a large batch of the same issue.

Last fall I purchased 80 copies of Alpha Flight #1 in an online auction.  They looked good from the photos but up close even better, 9.6 or 9.8 copies, never read or circulated guessing from a comic book shop liquidation as they were all bagged and boarded.  Plus when you go to open the cover on one of the copies its as if it hadn't been opened before.  I'm sending them off to be cleaned and pressed as well hopefully landing higher grades as they go to CGC eventually.

My conundrum is this, I usually do 20 books to a modern tier submission.  My fear is the subjective nature of grading.  I know there are CGC guidelines as to what constitutes a 9.8 versus a 9.2 for example.  However reading the forums there seems to some leeway where the grader's subjective nature also figures in.  Just like a teacher or referee, there are harder ones and there are easier ones.

With that I'm thinking of sprinkling in say 5 copies to a 20 book modern submission, 15 of the books being other titles or non-Alpha Flight #1.  My concern is that I send in say 20 copies of the same issue and get someone that is a bit more critical, well I might not fair so well.  There again I might get the opposite and be pleasantly surprised.

Just curious if anyone else puts as much thought into submitting multiple issues of the same copy.  I'm most likely over thinking this but I wanted to check.

I've never put that much thought into it, but that doesn't mean it's wrong lol. 

I imagine you bought the 80 copies to resell. If you have the time to do 5 copies at a time, I don't see a problem with your approach.  If you want to start seeing an ROI on those books, maybe up it to 10 copies at a time so it only takes 8 submissions to get them back? 

I would personally roll the dice and send them in larger batches. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 10/4/2021 at 6:34 AM, KCOComics said:

I've never put that much thought into it, but that doesn't mean it's wrong lol. 

I imagine you bought the 80 copies to resell. If you have the time to do 5 copies at a time, I don't see a problem with your approach.  If you want to start seeing an ROI on those books, maybe up it to 10 copies at a time so it only takes 8 submissions to get them back? 

I would personally roll the dice and send them in larger batches. 

Yeah I’m definitely over thinking this.  All for resale, maybe I’ll keep a copy for nostalgia sake 😊

On 10/4/2021 at 7:30 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Multiple graders asses each comic. It's not like 1 guy has a bad day and sullies your submission with hypercritical grades.

Gotcha, the reason for the graders notes as it’s a shared process the grading.  

Why only 20 books at a time? They can fit 25 slabs in the large box, and shipping is the same for 25 as it is for 20.

Don't worry about sending in too many copies of the same book. They grade based on the copy in hand, not in comparison between the multiple copies. (thumbsu

On 10/4/2021 at 4:28 PM, kimik said:

Why only 20 books at a time? They can fit 25 slabs in the large box, and shipping is the same for 25 as it is for 20.

Don't worry about sending in too many copies of the same book. They grade based on the copy in hand, not in comparison between the multiple copies. (thumbsu

My pressing guy I have to call if it is over 20 books as he sends them off to CGC.  Easier that way

I'll send it 20, we will see what comes of it xD

On 10/4/2021 at 4:28 PM, kimik said:

They grade based on the copy in hand, not in comparison between the multiple copies. (thumbsu

My fear is exactly this - not that the graders would do it purposely, but that it would be a subconscious thing.  

On 10/5/2021 at 7:09 PM, djzombi said:

My fear is exactly this - not that the graders would do it purposely, but that it would be a subconscious thing.  

I just got back a submission from June finally, and the grading looked fine to me on the one multiple copy book I had, 1980 MK #1 - I received 2 9.8s and 3 9.6s. The two 9.8s look like 9.8s, and the 9.6s were a bit higher than I was expecting so it worked out great.

On 10/6/2021 at 1:11 AM, kimik said:

I just got back a submission from June finally, and the grading looked fine to me on the one multiple copy book I had, 1980 MK #1 - I received 2 9.8s and 3 9.6s. The two 9.8s look like 9.8s, and the 9.6s were a bit higher than I was expecting so it worked out great.

Good to know, and congrats!

Strangely enough I came to the forum to post a (somewhat) related question and was planning to use Alpha Flight 1 as my example... maybe you can provide the insight I was looking for:

I've never gotten anything graded, but I'm starting to catalog and separate the candidates. I speculated a bit when I was collecting, and as such I have 10x copies of some issues, including Alpha Flight 1. The question is whether I am more likely to see better return grading 10 copies or selling them raw at 15-20 per.

I'm trying to identify a threshold for where to not consider a book worth grading, essentially.

On 10/7/2021 at 11:12 AM, ronvogel said:

Strangely enough I came to the forum to post a (somewhat) related question and was planning to use Alpha Flight 1 as my example... maybe you can provide the insight I was looking for:

I've never gotten anything graded, but I'm starting to catalog and separate the candidates. I speculated a bit when I was collecting, and as such I have 10x copies of some issues, including Alpha Flight 1. The question is whether I am more likely to see better return grading 10 copies or selling them raw at 15-20 per.

I'm trying to identify a threshold for where to not consider a book worth grading, essentially.

If it is anything post 1975 that you are pressing first, then $100 in grade is an easy threshold to work with. For moderns that I straight sub, then I will go as low as $60 if I think it has longer term potential since the cost of the book + grading+ shipping will be $35ish.

For GA/SA/pre-1975 BA, it will depend on the book.

In the case of your AF 1s, with 9.4s hitting $100+ now, any copies you have in that shape or better are worth it.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:19 PM, kimik said:

If it is anything post 1975 that you are pressing first, then $100 in grade is an easy threshold to work with. For moderns that I straight sub, then I will go as low as $60 if I think it has longer term potential since the cost of the book + grading+ shipping will be $35ish.

For GA/SA/pre-1975 BA, it will depend on the book.

In the case of your AF 1s, with 9.4s hitting $100+ now, any copies you have in that shape or better are worth it.

Thanks - this is helpful. Is there some statistical data available on the distribution of grades for modern books?

Another newbie-ish question: For significant key issues with high value potential (Hulk 181, for example, or early Silver Age Marvel) do I need to find my way to an in-person CGC event, or is there a means to safely get these shipped and graded?

On 10/7/2021 at 11:44 AM, ronvogel said:

Thanks - this is helpful. Is there some statistical data available on the distribution of grades for modern books?

Another newbie-ish question: For significant key issues with high value potential (Hulk 181, for example, or early Silver Age Marvel) do I need to find my way to an in-person CGC event, or is there a means to safely get these shipped and graded?

You can use the CGC census for grade distributions, but don't worry about that. If it is a 9.8 they will grade it as such.

I ship keys in via mail/Fedex. Just sign up for an account and start sending them in. If you are pressing them first, then ask your pressing service provider how they submit books.

CGC's census should show the distribution of grades; GoCollect also shows that information, I believe. 

I send very valuable keys via USPS registered mail.  It's an extremely secure service that guards the package against tampering, requires signature upon receipt, and offers a very high level of insurance.  

Hi all,

It doesnt matter in the end since they are graded by not just 1 person anyway.

Just send the nicest ones in its own batch of 25 and do a prescreen for 9.4 if you dont want to pay for lower grades.

Edited by William-James88

Hi all,

You're definitely overthinking it. If you're going to use CGC you have to trust in what they preach: Impartial 3rd Party Grading. All books are evaluted by multiple graders, etc...

Could all of the graders be having a bad day, lying and screwing people on grades? Sure, but that's going to happen to all of the books in your submission without regard to whether or not they're the same issue.  Send your books and forget about it.

Also, do yourself a favor and send 25 at a time, max out your return packages and cut down on shipping costs.