• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a printer defect or some rubbing?
2 2

11 posts in this topic

On 10/6/2021 at 2:27 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's definitely color rub, and it may have occurred at the MFG level. It's only considered "common" on an issue-to-issue basis.

what do you think the grade drop would be on it?

On 10/6/2021 at 8:41 PM, byosti said:

what do you think the grade drop would be on it?

It's hard to say without seeing the full book.  The higher the grade, the more significant drop off.  I would post clear front and back cover pics in the spare a grade section and ask people how much of a drop off. 

I have tested this out once 4 years ago where i sent in 3 vf/nm or better books (2-3 non color break spine ticks and one had 1 spine tick with hint of color break) with several small ink rub streaks/spots along the front and back cover spines and had them come back as a cgc 8.0, 8.5 and 9.0. I also had them pressed. The graders notes only stated multiple color rub on them so if the print run isnt known for this as a common printer defect, itll likely get knocked down 1 whole grade point from 9.0 or above. Of course it also depends on the graders. However, i have seen 9.8s and 9.6s with mild ink rub (small spot by staples) on issues not known for that defect so it can vary by degrees and noticeability of the ink rubs especially if on the front cover.