• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did a Speculation Buy Ever Not Go the Way You Were Hoping?
2 2

44 posts in this topic

Years ago, I bought whatever I could afford when it came to keys (was a student, so couldn't afford big keys, just the lesser ones from SA Marvel). For the most part, that worked out great. But there was one comic I thought would go gangbusters one day and it just didn't work out. That was Fantastic Four 45. 

The Marvel movies were heating up and since they didn't have the X-Men, rumour was that the Inhumans would take that type of role in the MCU. And well, what came of the Inhumans is one of the biggest missteps of the MCU to date. And while the comic has grown simply because all Marvel SA has grown, it didn't go gangbusters. But hey, at least I didn't buy a 9.4 Marvel Premier 15 in 2016.

So that was my speculation buy that didn't pan out. Do you have any you wish to share?

Edited by William-James88

I can't think of anything, maybe someone else's post will ring a bell. I didn't even think of buying for speculation until iron man and didn't get deep into it until avengers. If ff45 didn't increase in price after tv show announcement then I was disappointed. I believe I was just meh about it. I never paid over fmv, usually under so never lost money but still have some things that haven't popped yet. Can't recall disappointment though.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:54 AM, whomerjay said:

About 80% have hit. Still waiting on:

1. Most 1980’s Teen Titans issues 1-25.

2. Millennium 

3. American Flagg!

4. Camelot 3000

5. Batman TDK

Given I have maybe 25 cents into each book, I can live with these.

Heh, I have literally all these books also.  What I don't have is the 80% of the rest of the books you say have hit.  Instead I have more stuff like:

The Alien Legion

Alpha Flight

Amethyst Princess of Gemworld

Atari Force

Captain Carrot (and His Amazing Zoo Crew!)

DNAgents

Dreadstar

Electric Warrior

Jon Sable

Nexus

Omega Men (I guess #3 did okay, but that's about it)

Squadron Supreme

West Coast Avengers (stopped at issue #26, so, no White Vision for me)

I collected other mainstream series also, but those were already well into their runs when I started.  These were some of the ones that I got that I kept buying for at least 12+ issues, starting with Issue #1. (and I paid cover price for everything, so, more than .25 per book)

Edited by Axelrod

Yep way too many to list from the 90s.

Most recent was Enormous by 215 Ink. Bunch of hype and all. I purchased many copies of #1 plus some variants and low printings. No TV show ever surfaced and now you can get most of the series for next to nothing on ebay.

i bought a couple Howard the Ducks #1 at cover price when it came out and sold them soon after for $20  !! and i was only 16 at the time and $20 was a ton of money back then , it was the first time i ever bought more than one copy of any issue...

and then a few years later you couldn't give away a Howard the Duck #1 

i used the $20 to buy a half ounce of weed

i stopped collecting when comics went up to 35 cents each as that was too expensive lol but fast forward to 1986 and even though i didn't collect anymore ASM 252 was all the news , even on tv and radio so i went and bought 5 copies , i still have them , unread and not only that , back then everyone at work new i liked collecting things and they would ask questions and stuff throughout the years and when ASM 252 came out i told everyone at work to buy it and of course hardly anyone did but two people did who didn't even collect comics , both of them bought three issues , i still see one of the guys and he knows what they are worth and says he will give them to his kids , and i don't what happened to the other guy 

my first spec buy was my worst spec buy

off the shelf, in college, I bought 5 copies of 1963 by Alan Moore. I don't think that I had ever purchased more than one copy at a time prior to that. D"OH!

On 10/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

Yep way too many to list from the 90s.

Most recent was Enormous by 215 Ink. Bunch of hype and all. I purchased many copies of #1 plus some variants and low printings. No TV show ever surfaced and now you can get most of the series for next to nothing on ebay.

I call your Enormous, and raise you 22 copies of Bloodshot 1  ;)

My biggest failed speculation purchase is More Fun Comics #52 in CGC .5.  I've always wanted a copy of this book and thought this book should have good long term value since it's the 1st appearance of the Spectre.  Sadly, because it doesn't seem to be offered for sale as often as other major GA keys, it seems like the book is stagnant.

Edited by 50 Fiddy