• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book would you buy for the CGC label?
1 1

34 posts in this topic

Seems like a lot of people are into labels that say Promise Collection on them.. (shrug)

So why not a

1st Bat-Wang?

Holding Wood?

Maybe they can't state in on label so they put "unspeakable acts" :roflmao:

On 10/24/2021 at 9:11 PM, Randall Dowling said:

There are zero books that I would purchase for the CGC label.  The comics and mags are all I care about.  Not a competition with others for highest graded.  Not a third party graphic.  Not a signature verification.  Not a number.  Not any kind of notation.  

I've cracked out more books than I can count.  The slabs are a means to an end.  If I can find it raw for the same price, I'd rather buy it raw.

The books are all that matter to me.  The covers, the stories, the character appearances, the history, the period styles, different publishers, different genres.  And did I mention the artwork?  Especially the artwork.  Everything else is a distraction from that.  Just my  2c

This. 

I've bought some books recently that have the "custom Spidey labels".  I think they look cool, but I didn't buy any of them for that label.  I certainly wouldn't pay anything additional for it either.   I'm buying the book.  

I think it's ridiculous when I see listings that note "Slab is in perfect shape"  or something along those lines.  Sure, I want to know if there's a crack in it.  But "advertising" that the slab is new/perfect is silly.  

On 10/25/2021 at 2:11 AM, Randall Dowling said:

There are zero books that I would purchase for the CGC label.  The comics and mags are all I care about.  Not a competition with others for highest graded.  Not a third party graphic.  Not a signature verification.  Not a number.  Not any kind of notation.  

I've cracked out more books than I can count.  The slabs are a means to an end.  If I can find it raw for the same price, I'd rather buy it raw.

The books are all that matter to me.  The covers, the stories, the character appearances, the history, the period styles, different publishers, different genres.  And did I mention the artwork?  Especially the artwork.  Everything else is a distraction from that.  Just my  2c

From our posts over in the Water Cooler I’d have guessed you were another purist like myself, and that we have such things in common.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/25/2021 at 6:59 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Holding Wood?

A fairly common misconception that this is rude.  Holding was actually the first name of Wallace Wood’s brother, another comic artist, who sadly never escaped the shadow of obscurity.

A popular one in the 80s was…

“Excuse me, do you have anything with Rude art in it?”

”Sorry, we don’t sell filth here.”

”There’s no need to be like that, mate, I just wanted to fill in a few gaps in my Nexus collection.” :frown:

Edited by Ken Aldred

@Arkham and I were having a laugh.

I have also discussed the custom label too and I am NOT a fan. I do not like the modern image on the slab particularly if a silver or bronze book. Plus, I feel they take away from the actual cover art.

As for other notations or "stickers", I think they can be neat and/or informative, but in all seriousness, are not a determining factor whether I buy a book or pay more or not but maybe if it is a "novelty" and not too expensive, maybe??? 

...Like if the Spider-Man: Rein issue stated "storyline where MJ died due to exposure of radioactive sperm" lol

Oh, actually, as I am building my Lee/Ditko ASM run and I am in Canada and sending books for reholder is not something I want to do nor incur additional unnecessary costs with, if I see a ASM Lee/Ditko era book with a modern custom label, its a turn off and would prefer to wait for one that doesn't have that label as I want all my Lee/Ditko run to be slabbed.

On 10/28/2021 at 4:18 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

@Arkham and I were having a laugh.

Hehe - yeah - this is CG afterall… I guess things change with time, but I was still expecting way less “serious” in the responses to this thread and way more adolescent humour from adults.