• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real Scooby Doo first Appearance

24 posts in this topic

What is the true first Scooby Doo appearance in comics? Is it Scooby Doo 1 or Archie and Me #31?

He appears in an advertisement in one panel of Archie and Me 31 where it is advertising the Scooby Doo cartoon. Archie and Me 31 came out in October 1969, while Scooby Doo 1 came out in March of 1970. CGC has Scooby Doo 1 as the first appearance.

Doesn't it seem like Archie and Me 31 should be the true first appearance?  I apologize if this has been covered before. I just couldn't find it when I was searching.

Folks have discussed this on the boards in various places.  It's really up to you in terms of what you appreciate.  But in terms of a consensus in the hobby/industry (and thus valuation), mere adverstisements generally do not count.  Some of the more extensive previews (like a multi-pager within a comic book) are a thornier question, but generally they fall short, too (as in the case of previews that preceded Walking Dead #1).  Such ads/previews are still interesting/cool and might be sought out by some.  Hopefully i havent oversimplified it!  No doubt a vet will chime in soon enough in that event.  

Edited by Pantodude

It's also far less likely to be considered a first appearance if the ad appeared in multiple books, and I think appearing in multiple books from multiple publishers reduces the chances of it being considered a first appearance to nearly zero.  Here's the page from Adventure Comics #385, October 1969, on sale date (according to the GCD) of 8/28/1969.  I couldn't find the on sale date for Archie and Me #31.

Img063.jpg

On 11/1/2021 at 9:56 PM, OtherEric said:

It's also far less likely to be considered a first appearance if the ad appeared in multiple books, and I think appearing in multiple books from multiple publishers reduces the chances of it being considered a first appearance to nearly zero.  Here's the page from Adventure Comics #385, October 1969, on sale date (according to the GCD) of 8/28/1969.  I couldn't find the on sale date for Archie and Me #31.

Img063.jpg

Mikes Newsstand has Archie and Me 31 with an on sale date of 8/1/1969. Regardless, I agree that an ad that appeared across multiple publishers isn’t a true first appearance.

On 11/16/2021 at 7:21 AM, Pantodude said:

My original grainy scan didn't do the book justice.  Still couldn't avoid some glare in the knight's shadow.  

IMG_1742.thumb.JPG.947194894dd5b668da56b5afe2de2eb1.JPG

NICE!

Even the 1977 Marvel Scooby Doo #1 is going for decent money. As for the Charlton's, meh! Gold Key and 70s Marvel are where its at for Scoob!

Edited by MAR1979

I mean, if I am a Scooby fan, I want his first appearance in a comic where he is the star. Thus, Scooby Doo 1 is the book to have.

As I grow my collection, is it neat to obtain earlier appearances of him in ad images or toy images in comics or whatever? Sure. But I sure as heck ain't paying a premium for those.

That is my philosophy anyway. 

On 11/16/2021 at 8:46 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I mean, if I am a Scooby fan, I want his first appearance in a comic where he is the star. Thus, Scooby Doo 1 is the book to have.

As I grow my collection, is it neat to obtain earlier appearances of him in ad images or toy images in comics or whatever? Sure. But I sure as heck ain't paying a premium for those.

That is my philosophy anyway. 

A throw away non story ad versus an entire book!   Its not even a fair fight.

On 11/1/2021 at 10:35 PM, kinzebac said:

What is the true first Scooby Doo appearance in comics? Is it Scooby Doo 1 or Archie and Me #31?

He appears in an advertisement in one panel of Archie and Me 31 where it is advertising the Scooby Doo cartoon. Archie and Me 31 came out in October 1969, while Scooby Doo 1 came out in March of 1970. CGC has Scooby Doo 1 as the first appearance.

Doesn't it seem like Archie and Me 31 should be the true first appearance?  I apologize if this has been covered before. I just couldn't find it when I was searching.

Which ever book went on sale first with his image in it is, by definition, the true first appearance.  That is, the first time that the character appeared anywhere.  HOWEVER, the question is whether or not this is considered a meaningful appearance by fandom.  

Thus far the demand and prices for these earlier books don't give it much weight.

On 11/16/2021 at 12:20 PM, pemart1966 said:

Which ever book went on sale first with his image in it is, by definition, the true first appearance.  That is, the first time that the character appeared anywhere.  HOWEVER, the question is whether or not this is considered a meaningful appearance by fandom.  

Thus far the demand and prices for these earlier books don't give it much weight.

No. Ads are not appearances in comics.

Anyway, we're only talking about the first comic book appearance of a character/property that originated in other media.