• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exciting Updates to the CGC Chat Boards
15 15

1,842 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2021 at 7:57 PM, CGC Mike said:
On 11/12/2021 at 7:55 PM, kav said:

I will start a thread: "CGC sponsored grading contest definitely a go.  Sign up here.  Many 5 figure books as prizes from fabled CGC vault".

(tsk)

How could CGC say 'no' if there's a thread like that started?  Especially if you endorse it....

On 11/3/2021 at 12:29 PM, mnelsonCGC said:

The CGC Chat Boards have been an integral part of the hobby for nearly 20 years, creating a community for thousands of collectors worldwide, with millions of posts forming a wealth of knowledge and information that cannot be found anywhere else in the industry. Users have also enjoyed the benefits of the Marketplace, a section of the boards that allows collectors to buy, sell and trade their comics and related material.

CGC has taken some time to review its chat board strategy, and we have a few updates to announce that will further promote our goal of providing a fun, friendly and engaging platform for every user.

Moderation of the boards has always been a challenging job for all involved, particularly when dealing with disagreements and violations of board policy. Going forward, the job of moderation will be handled strictly by paid CGC employees. In addition to bringing moderation in-house, a team comprised of CGC senior management will oversee moderation, providing input and ensuring that moderation is handled in an objective, impartial manner that is fair to board users.

CGC is grateful to those who have assisted with moderation over the years. Your energy invested in maintaining the boards was at times a herculean task, and for your efforts, we are eternally grateful.

The CGC Chat Boards guidelines have also been updated, and they include a detailed explanation of the CGC’s moderation philosophy. Most of these guidelines should be common sense to board users, particularly in regards to inappropriate posts and content. Politics in particular have become one of the most challenging aspects of moderation, given the social climate of today.

Because the CGC Chat Boards are meant to be an open and positive environment for the discussion of comics-related topics, we stress that users should refrain from including politics in their posts. We expect all board members to treat each other fairly and with kindness, which will not only ease the job of moderation, but also ensure a welcome atmosphere for newcomers and veterans alike.

Another area of change involves the Marketplace. Guidelines for sale listings have been updated, and now include a 24-hour notice to be given to users whose sales threads contain minor violations. This gives users time to correct the violation, rather than having a moderator remove the entire thread.

CGC would also like to introduce its new CGC Chat Boards Community Liason, Michael Greenwood! Many members already know Michael, a collector with years of experience

— both in comics and the CGC Chat Boards. Michael’s involvement and other members of the CGC team will strengthen CGC’s interaction and transparency with collectors and dealers. We feel Michael is a great fit for his role in this new endeavor, and we expect to soon supplement his efforts with other help from CGC employees.

Thank you for being involved in this vibrant, exciting community of which we are proud to be a part. Our new guidelines can be found here.

Matt Nelson

CGC President

One thing I would really like to see is being able to google threads again.  There are threads that are just lost to time because I cannot find them anymore.  The board search function just flat out doesnt work.
@CGC Mike

On 11/13/2021 at 2:07 PM, kav said:

One thing I would really like to see is being able to google threads again.  There are threads that are just lost to time because I cannot find them anymore.  The board search function just flat out doesnt work.
@CGC Mike

Bing.com has somewhat been an alternative, yet only somewhat, not perfect. Brings up different threads than google etc, but does bring some up. (thumbsu 

On 11/13/2021 at 12:14 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Bing.com has somewhat been an alternative, yet only somewhat, not perfect. Brings up different threads than google etc, but does bring some up. (thumbsu 

we dont want somewhat we want our search ability back.

On 11/13/2021 at 12:19 PM, Comics4All said:

We Want our search back & we want it now!!!

or whenever @CGC Mike gets around to it on his own schedule! I don't want any pernts! lol

WHAT DO WE WANT?
SEARCH ABILITY BACK!
WHEN DO WE WANT IT?
NOW!!!

HEY HEY! HO HO!
NO SEARCH ABILITY HAS GOT TO GO!

On 11/13/2021 at 2:21 PM, kav said:
On 11/13/2021 at 2:19 PM, Comics4All said:

We Want our search back & we want it now!!!

or whenever @CGC Mike gets around to it on his own schedule! I don't want any pernts! lol

WHAT DO WE WANT?
SEARCH ABILITY BACK!
WHEN DO WE WANT IT?
NOW!!!

HEY HEY! HO HO!
NO SEARCH ABILITY HAS GOT TO GO!

I was more stating for @CGC Mike to have the full info. If google doesn't work but bing does, then there is a correlation for the fix. 

Still more knowledge isn't bad, but your right, just wanted to point out what all is out of whack! :sumo: 

On 11/13/2021 at 12:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was more stating for @CGC Mike to have the full info. If google doesn't work but bing does, then there is a correlation for the fix. 

Still more knowledge isn't bad, but your right, just wanted to point out what all is out of whack! :sumo: 

Oh its not a mystery glitch-apparently the boards detached from google for some reason.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:20 AM, CAHokie said:

It occurred to me later that I hoped people realized it was obvious sarcasm toward those that say they will never come back…and always do and not real. If I had a real FDQ, it would be a good one. Unfortunately, I have no where to go, lol. 

Trucker's Photo Gallery | TruckingTruth

On 11/13/2021 at 3:18 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol I said it gave extra results, not that it was a good idea lol

Really any of it Haha

:tink:

Loser spider man uses Bing.  Tom Holland or Toby Maguire would never do that.  Just big hair Millennial boring Spider Man.
Spider-Man Switches From Bing To Google In The Amazing Spider-Man 2

• Administrator
On 11/13/2021 at 3:07 PM, kav said:

@CGC Mike

@universal soldier covered this pretty well.  Here is 2 of his posts.

So it's pretty easy to test this via Google search and I do think that it will resolve itself with time. As I posted earlier, one of the main factors in getting your site indexed is the robots.txt file. As you can see here: https://www.cgccomics.com/robots.txt  the old URL was blocked.

user-agent: *
disallow: /boards/*

It seems however that boards.cgccomics.com is not blocked but it does take Google time to come back and reindex your site. Eventually it will follow the Chat Boards link on the cgccomics.com navigation and results should grow. It might not be a bad idea to remove those lines from the robots file to make sure. I also am not privy to any other settings that may be in place within the site settings that would prevent this either.  I don't see anything in the webpage source code that would block this.

Testing:

One of the easiest ways to see if this or any site is indexed by Google is to use "site:" when searching. 

site:boards.cgccomics.com returns 1680 results including some threads from 2005. That's a positive step in the right direction.

site:cgccomics.com returns 68,100 results including many links to boards.cgccomics.com

site:cgccomics.com/boards returns 56,600 results but random sampling  shows no comic related results, only coin forum threads.

Ultimately I would think keyword searches or pre-pending your keyword search with boards.cgccomics.com is the best approach for now. For instance searching for "boards.cgccomics.com moderation policy" (without the quotes) returns Matt Nelson's post from last week as the number one result. 

Getting better results from just keywords will take time as you are now on Google's schedule but searching should be easier going forward. I really have no idea why this was blocked in the first place.

To back up my point if you search-  boards.cgccomics.com Marvel UK Price Variants

You get the same top result for the old URL but the second one is for the new URL and it has a description. Google will sort this all out with time...

2021-11-08_14-31-32.thumb.jpg.2e64402d0bed58ec1d7173d405636ded.jpg

On 11/13/2021 at 4:44 PM, CGC Mike said:

site:boards.cgccomics.com returns 1680 results including some threads from 2005. That's a positive step in the right direction.

site:cgccomics.com returns 68,100 results including many links to boards.cgccomics.com

site:cgccomics.com/boards returns 56,600 results but random sampling  shows no comic related results, only coin forum threads.

Tried using these to find the dumb movie things thread and a couple others-nada.

• Administrator
On 11/13/2021 at 7:48 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:

Count me as interested if rookies can participate in the first round.

Well, you have been here for over a year and a half.  I am sure you can participate.