• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exciting Updates to the CGC Chat Boards
15 15

1,842 posts in this topic

Comedic timing is everything and TWSS is funny when the timing is there. The problem is that it was turned into a joke inherent unto itself and overused. I agree with our hosts that folks need to give it a rest.

On 11/14/2021 at 1:21 PM, drbanner said:

Comedic timing is everything and TWSS is funny when the timing is there. The problem is that it was turned into a joke inherent unto itself and overused. I agree with our hosts that folks need to give it a rest.

I agree that it is overused but it is hard to separate being overused here on the boards in general (which I have no problem with and think is equivalent of it going viral, which is good for the energy on the site) vs one person overusing it (which should be handled privately).  It is interesting that I see a great deal of posts now setting it up, trying waaay to hard to tee one up for the expected response. That leads me to believe people want to join in and are trying to be part of a community joke, and that is great and should be encouraged even if not everyone gets in on it.

Hey @skypinkblu! You are so proper...no one jokes three fifty. Tree fiddy. I don't know why or why it gets the spelling it does either but I love dropping it any and all times I can when it works. I respect your opinion about the phrase in question but I think it is more about your sense of humor than your gender...I am the only male in my house and I hear it more than I say it. It is low hanging fruit, Airplane / Police Squad level humor, like dad jokes. It is double entendre of course, but The Office did a neat thing and flipped that, making the joke about the stupidity of the person saying it as much as how much the phrase applies; this frees it up as a comeback for any and all statements. My youngest daughter especially flips it around here, making it ridicule the male when she says whatever she said. it can cut like a knife and she is a young surgeon in the making. Of course I hope her humor evolves.

I propose moderation reply, right there in a thread gone rogue or via PM for an individual:

D-uJpeCW4AEoT54.jpg

Treat it with humor but come at it on its own level.

But I stand firm that a blanket ban on the phrase is overkill and ridonculous.

Now let's talk "go fist yourself".

(not really, I busted it out right away a few times when cgcmike came on scene and so far so good.)

I didn't even make that Graham Chapman thing! (Wifey and I saw him in person when he toured colleges waaaaay back in the day! We were just courtin' then!)

Edited by Bird

On 11/14/2021 at 12:44 PM, blazingbob said:

If the goal is to attract more female visitors we might want to run some shoe or bag sales in the comic sales thread

Or have a cosplay section of the Boards.

Seriously.

On 11/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, Bird said:

but I think it is more about your sense of humor than your gender...I am the only male in my house and I hear it more than I say it. It is low hanging fruit, Airplane / Police Squad level humor, like dad jokes. It is double entendre of course, but The Office did a neat thing and flipped that, making the joke about the stupidity of the person saying it as much as how much the phrase applies; this frees it up as a comeback for any and all statements. My youngest daughter especially flips it around here, making it ridicule the male when she says whatever she said. it can cut like a knife and she is a young surgeon in the making. Of course I hope her humor evolves.

Maybe, I find weird things to be funnier than sophomoric humour.  I often think Blazing Bob is hysterical when others think he's being grumpy.  I have not watched the Office, I will try and watch a season this winter. 

That doesn't mean I think things are funny the 50th time though...and the phrase can't be THAT new, I remember it from college, which was ages ago.

On 11/14/2021 at 12:14 PM, Bird said:

True story...back in the day  TCM described this movie as "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets and then teams up with three strangers to kill again.”

FB_IMG_1634196045303.jpg.62ac426dd55f8d7db641417ed4ec43ff.jpg

On 11/14/2021 at 1:57 PM, snitzer said:

That’ll be two weeks of CGC-certified diversity and inclusion training for you! :1514325239_yeehawemoji:

We were all blindfolded at one of those insane training sessions. I think it was supposed to prove a point, the point I understood,  was that I should call in sick the next time;) 

edit, the training was giving by my employer, not CGC.

Edited by skypinkblu

On 11/14/2021 at 2:03 PM, skypinkblu said:

We were all blindfolded at one of those insane training sessions. I think it was supposed to prove a point, the point I understood,  was that I should call in sick the next time;) 

edit, the training was giving by my employer, not CGC.

Ditto here. It’s caused our culture to degrade. Most just skip these sessions now.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:06 AM, blazingbob said:

If the goal was to really attract the female audience instead of grading credits there would be bottles of wine sent to the winners.

Careful, my wife has an account here

*She collects wine

Edited by The Meta
Clarification

On 11/14/2021 at 9:59 AM, skypinkblu said:

I was thinking the same thing;) I'm not sure about shoes because they are hard to fit and you often have to return them, but jewelry, clothing items that are ...never mind;)

"That's what she said" has a vague sexual connotation.  I really didn't care about it much for a long time. After a while I found the constant repetition annoying. Sorry @kavI don't know any women who use it. 

That doesn't mean that I expect the men here to use "female friendly terms" all the time,I don't believe in that at all...but  it's the constant repetition. My husband is a great guy...once he finds a joke that one person laughs at, he repeats it. after a while I just walk away. I do that here, I close the thread if "That's what she said" seems to be the gem of the day.

Occasional repetition is no big deal. Phil's parking lot or three fifty (although I'm not quite certain why that one is funny) are not repeated quite as often.

Maybe repeating something over and over is  a guy thing...I have no idea, never having been a guy.

I once posted Burt Reynold's Playboy centerfold to even out the "babe" threads, I got bored after posting it a few times...maybe because I'm not a guy;)

Comics have the reputation of being "an old boy's club", that's one of the things that I'm guessing many females do not find enticing.

On facebook I often see jokes from women like why do men have ears? To hold up their glasses.  I laugh.  I dont think women are some delicate flowers that cannot stand likewise jokes in their direction.  

And why does this forum 'have to attract more women'?  Do knitting or jewelry forums seek to 'attract more men'?  Cant people just be interested in what they are interested in without trying to constantly fill quotas?