• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's SNOW WHITE starring Rachel Zegler, Gal Gadot (2024)
3 3

176 posts in this topic

Yes, the actress who plays Snow White is Hispanic. I have no problem with that at all.

However, if you go to the Disney store you'll see that the Snow White figurine is still depicted as a white female. I'm willing to bet the Snow White figurine will always be depicted as a white female. Compare that to some of the changes that Disney has made to Marvel characters in the comics and movies in recent years. 

I'm simply making an observation that Disney seems much more inclined to change the Marvel characters, for whatever reason, than their own.

IMO this shows a lack of respect to the original creators at Marvel, and the long time fans of these characters.

Edited by AlterEgo2024

On 8/4/2024 at 6:10 PM, AlterEgo2024 said:

Yes, the actress who plays Snow White is Hispanic. I have no problem with that at all.

However, if you go to the Disney store you'll see that the Snow White figurine is still depicted as a white female. I'm willing to bet the Snow White figurine will always be depicted as a white female. Compare that to some of the changes that Disney has made to Marvel characters in the comics and movies in recent years. 

I'm simply making an observation that Disney seems much more inclined to change the Marvel characters, for whatever reason, than their own.

IMO this shows a lack of respect to the original creators at Marvel, and the long time fans of these characters.

It will.  Once the movie comes out or shortly before it.   Then it will go back to the original designs once the media circulates out production. 

Merchandising to the specific film will be released shortly prior and during the release of the media.

When the "realistic" Lion King was announced, character models for merchandise supporting the "live action" release were not released until shortly prior to the film's release and then during.  That was the same product release schedule for Christopher Robin, Jungle Book, Aladdin, and other Disney "live action" films.   Afterward the merchandise went back to reflect the "classic" character depiction once the media circulated out of release.  

For example, this boxed set of Aladdin toys was released prior to and during the live action release.  Note that Genie is definitely reflective of the design model for Will Smith.   However, more recent character designs continue to reflect the 1992 designs with a Robin Williams influence.   The Winnie the Pooh plush were incredibly hard to find upon the release of Christopher Robin.  I actually was able to get one that fell off the back of a truck as a Christmas gift that year.  Note the difference in the designs.  Since that movie has passed from circulation, the character designs for merchandise support the traditional imagery especially Tigger.  (I stole the photos from eBay btw)

Even GI Joe has done the same.  When the live action GI Joe movie was released in 2009 and Transformers in 2007, all merchandise reflected black and blue uniforms for the Joes and what are now referred to as "Bayverse" Transformers designs.  Since the movies have circulated out of production those character designs have reverted to more of the original designs.   

Transformers is an interesting case though as all specific media driven merchandise is released alongside traditional or classic designs simultaneously.  You can walk into a store and see the current animated designs, classic and live action depictions of certain characters simultaneously on the shelves.

image.thumb.png.8cbcd2a7367e65a7eb4d24d9f3bea933.png image.thumb.png.bd0b13017bc181e982c271698bee894e.png

On 8/4/2024 at 6:40 PM, Buzzetta said:

It will.  Once the movie comes out or shortly before it.   Then it will go back to the original designs once the media circulates out production. 

Merchandising to the specific film will be released shortly prior and during the release of the media.

When the "realistic" Lion King was announced, character models for merchandise supporting the "live action" release were not released until shortly prior to the film's release and then during.  That was the same product release schedule for Christopher Robin, Jungle Book, Aladdin, and other Disney "live action" films.   Afterward the merchandise went back to reflect the "classic" character depiction once the media circulated out of release.  

For example, this boxed set of Aladdin toys was released prior to and during the live action release.  Note that Genie is definitely reflective of the design model for Will Smith.   However, more recent character designs continue to reflect the 1992 designs with a Robin Williams influence.   The Winnie the Pooh plush were incredibly hard to find upon the release of Christopher Robin.  I actually was able to get one that fell off the back of a truck as a Christmas gift that year.  Note the difference in the designs.  Since that movie has passed from circulation, the character designs for merchandise support the traditional imagery especially Tigger.  (I stole the photos from eBay btw)

Even GI Joe has done the same.  When the live action GI Joe movie was released in 2009 and Transformers in 2007, all merchandise reflected black and blue uniforms for the Joes and what are now referred to as "Bayverse" Transformers designs.  Since the movies have circulated out of production those character designs have reverted to more of the original designs.   

Transformers is an interesting case though as all specific media driven merchandise is released alongside traditional or classic designs simultaneously.  You can walk into a store and see the current animated designs, classic and live action depictions of certain characters simultaneously on the shelves.

image.thumb.png.8cbcd2a7367e65a7eb4d24d9f3bea933.png image.thumb.png.bd0b13017bc181e982c271698bee894e.png

Similar thing happened with the Little Mermaid, a African American Ariel was added as a meet and greet, and some similar toys were released.  Most of these have been retired at this point.

On 8/4/2024 at 6:40 PM, Buzzetta said:

"Then it will go back to the original designs..."

That's the point I was making.

I understand that there will always be temporary changes as part of the marketing for a particular movie, TV show, etc.

I have to admit, the main character designs work and evoke an image of the silent film era.  

I see what they were trying to do (I think?) with the dwarves but I am not so sure that 3D rendered storybook images were the way to go. 

Screenshot2024-08-10at9_08_59AM.thumb.png.7d6ffe89442da4cb7504f1e5f2227485.png

Screenshot2024-08-10at9_10_17AM.thumb.png.8f9daffc3f720c5cf860135d3c4ae0eb.png

Screenshot2024-08-10at9_10_43AM.png.edb3107cd45481aaaa45c5298ab62d1e.png

Edited by Buzzetta

Could be a complete bait and switch (I understand they are NOT having Snow White be "saved" by her prince at the end), but this trailer at least makes it look like like a fairly straightforward and even traditional adaptation.  

Nothing here to rile up the "OMG DSI AND SOCIAL JUSTICE ARE RUINING EVERYTHING" crowd.  

While I will not watch this, I will say that DIS is doing a great job re-re-releasing current/modern versions of some of their classics and other popular films to keep generation after generation coming back. 

On 8/10/2024 at 9:44 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Having the Queen be much more attractive than Snow White doesn't really work...or are we changing the definition of "fairest" here?

Fairest isn't necessarily all about physical looks. That said I think both of them are attractive.

On 8/10/2024 at 10:15 AM, Axelrod said:

Could be a complete bait and switch (I understand they are NOT having Snow White be "saved" by her prince at the end), but this trailer at least makes it look like like a fairly straightforward and even traditional adaptation.  

Nothing here to rile up the "OMG DSI AND SOCIAL JUSTICE ARE RUINING EVERYTHING" crowd.  

Honestly my only real fault with the trailer is it is very heavily and obviously CGI. It looks like the mains were inserted into a digital world similar to Toontown in Roger Rabbit. Just the digital age version.

Plus, there is no way in heck Zegler is fairer than Gadot.

On 8/12/2024 at 2:01 PM, Artboy99 said:

Fairest isn't necessarily all about physical looks. That said I think both of them are attractive.

Yeah, it could be to mean that the Snow White is more....fair/even handed???  No way they get away with calling that Snow White prettier than the Queen, unless the Queen is actually the old crone body using magic to make her look like the young youthful body.  IDK??

On 8/12/2024 at 3:37 PM, media_junkie said:

Yeah, it could be to mean that the Snow White is more....fair/even handed???  No way they get away with calling that Snow White prettier than the Queen, unless the Queen is actually the old crone body using magic to make her look like the young youthful body.  IDK??

My understanding of the original story is that the Queen is indeed the fairest, until Snow White grows up and presents a rival beauty to the Queen, and the premise of the first Disney Snow White (predictably for its time, or really, anytime) was that the Queen is bad because she is driven by her womanly jealousy and vanity and Snow White is good because she is innocent, chaste and virginal (Snow White as in "pure as the driven snow", as they used to say about good girls who saved themselves for marriage) so it can be consistent for the Evil Queen to be beautiful, and indeed it doesn't even matter if Snow White appears to any eye as not as hot, because that's in the eye of the beholder, and if the Evil Queen thinks she's a threat, than her jealousy and vanity drives her to want to destroy Snow White.