• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's SNOW WHITE starring Rachel Zegler, Gal Gadot (2024)
3 3

155 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE: While her latest tentpole Red Notice is set for its big Hollywood premiere tonight, Gal Gadot looks to have found her next project that is sure to be the fairest of them all. Sources tell Deadline that Gadot is in final negotiations to play the Evil Queen in Disney’s live-action adaptation of Snow White, the one that started it all for the studio’s legendary slate of animated features. Rachel Zegler is set to play the titular character, with Marc Webb directing and Marc Platt producing. Production is expected to start in 2022.

The original Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs cartoon, based on the Brothers Grimm fairytale, was released in 1938. It was Disney’s inaugural animated feature and became a massive success for the studio. Insiders say the live-action film will expand upon the story and music from the original. Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, the Oscar- and Tony-winning duo behind La La Land, The Greatest Showman and Dear Evan Hansen, will write new songs for the movie. A big reason the studio has taken its time on this adaptation is making sure it gets the music right, and insiders say the higher-ups are excited with what Pasek and Paul have come up with following early returns.

Edited by Bosco685

On 7/15/2023 at 6:38 AM, Straw-Man said:

I am unable to fathom how Disney continues to make each dumb move dumber than the one before it.

Seriously, I'm not a "boycott" person, but if I weren't getting D+ for free through Verizon, I'd have to seriously question giving them money.

On 7/15/2023 at 12:19 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I am unable to fathom how Disney continues to make each dumb move dumber than the one before it.

Seriously, I'm not a "boycott" person, but if I weren't getting D+ for free through Verizon, I'd have to seriously question giving them money.

I cancelled Disney, Hulu, and Paramount today.  I barely use them. I kept HBO, YoutubeTV, Netflix (for kid), and Amazon.

On 7/15/2023 at 8:38 AM, Straw-Man said:

This is getting roasted online, and Disney originally tried to come out and say the photos were fake.   I guess more surfaced with the crew in the background. They had to admit they were real, but a few of the characters (including Snow White) are indeed stand ins.

There is also a bit of backlash I have seen against Peter Dinklage after these photos.  He had protested the steriotyping of dwarves and apparently all this led to were short statue actors not getting work, when roles are already scare for them. 

On 7/15/2023 at 1:33 PM, Straw-Man said:

the story is over 2 centuries old, and beloved; why is it only now, in our time, that it's "backward" as described by dinklage?  i'm going on record as saying the story is fine, it's certain segments of our snowflake society that is the problem.

Yes, they are no longer referred to as dwarves, they are called either magical creatures or magical beings now.  I have seen both used so not sure which is the actual title. Granted, I read that in the original tale they are  sometimes called only men of very short stature.

Edited by drotto

On 7/15/2023 at 11:33 AM, Straw-Man said:

the story is over 2 centuries old, and beloved; why is it only now, in our time, that it's "backward" as described by dinklage?  i'm going on record as saying the story is fine, it's certain segments of our snowflake society that is the problem.

Perhaps Disney will rebrand it as "Snowflake White and the Seven Non-denominational, Unspecifically Gendered, All-Inclusive Magical Creatures"

On 7/15/2023 at 1:51 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Perhaps Disney will rebrand it as "Snowflake White and the Seven Non-denominational, Unspecifically Gendered, All-Inclusive Magical Creatures"

Also, during that period in that part of the world being very fair skinned was a sign of wealth and being part of the nobility. Her complextion in the historical sense was a reflection of her families wealth and standing as opposed to commenting on her race.

They always go too far and try to represent one segment over another or overcompensate on trying not to offend anyone.

They could have easily titled it Snow White and just left the 7 dwarves part off. They could have cast 7 actors with Dwarfism and gave them work and a chance to show their talents.

A good -script would have never needed to refer to the term in the first place but stayed true to the storyline. Give the characters a good background and story and its nothing but a positive.

The only thing shocking to me about this whole thing is that “Snow White” is not being played by a Black Actress. 

On 7/15/2023 at 1:28 PM, CAHokie said:

The only thing shocking to me about this whole thing is that “Snow White” is not being played by a Black Actress

am aware that the current trend is to capitalize the "b," but didn't realize the noun it clarified needed the upper-case as well.   will make sure to stay in line in my own writings, legal briefs and the like.

Edited by Straw-Man