• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's SNOW WHITE starring Rachel Zegler, Gal Gadot (2024)
3 3

155 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2023 at 10:25 AM, Dr. Love said:

Soon the original will have a cultural warning attached to it for the future viewer. It will be held up, not as a classic, but a classic example of misogyny and body mocking from a hateful bygone era.

So that's really what this is about for you.  A fearful projection of a wicked and horrid future that hasn't come to pass, isn't happening today (the original 'Seven Dwarfs' is recognized by the American Film Institute as one of the top 50 movies ever made), and is exceptionally unlikely to ever happen.

But staying in the present, really a remake is just another movie.  And the original film in question is still widely available, not edited, not held for public ridicule, and instead preserved as both a cultural phenomenon, and a window into the times in which it was made.  Much like Golden Age Superhero comics whose cultural references, concepts, and characterizations are portraits of a period in time that haven't stopped the titles or the lead characters from undergoing many evolutions through the past 80 years - for better and for worse, depending on the character, the depiction of the villains and supporting cast, and one's viewpoint.

If the remake turns out to stink, as it very well might, then it will become just another footnote in cinematic history, and not one of very much significance at all in the end.

Edited by namisgr

On 7/26/2023 at 2:23 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I just dislike the concept of reworking “classic” stories. Make a new story. If these ideals mean that much to you or they are so incredibly valid - they should, theoretically, stand on their own without the crutch of using an established franchise.

We know that they're not, which is why we know their intentions when they do this stuff, and it's so transparent that most people see through it and reject it.

We get it. We just don't get why they keep trying when it keeps failing. That will be a significant footnote in cinematic history.

On 7/26/2023 at 2:39 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I would definitely agree - but boy, trying to get them to see or admit that their fringe ideals don’t translate into big budget movies - that’s where the butthurt comes in.

Sure, there are indy stuff and art house films, and those a valid and great vehicles for expression. I’ll accept any story own it’s own merit and I don’t fault anyone for making a story they feel is important - when it’s an expression of their own creation, or an adaptation - creatively, I respect that. The fault comes when you try to uninterestingly shoehorn a previous idea with a “twist” into society, expecting it to be the next Star Wars and then screaming “racist!” Or “bigot!” When the box office numbers aren’t what you expected.

I got my friend to watch MoS and BvS, trying to get him into some of the stuff I like. He hasn't continued. I stopped 'bothering' him about it after a few weeks. He's more into anime than live-action. The studios should take this approach with repeated ideas.

On 7/26/2023 at 3:46 PM, Artboy99 said:

all they need to do is change the title of the film to "The New Adventures of Snow White" and then all the people triggered by the changes no longer care.

I don’t think anyone is triggered in this thread, more like eye rolling but you do bring up a good point. Just pretend it’s a completely different version. If they are right, they make a lot of money. If they are wrong, they can blame it on whatever they want like a lot of their other recent films. 

I did enjoy the Fables comic with Snow White and she was different for sure.

IMG_0046.thumb.jpeg.f1dbb330753905b849fd651ee38704c5.jpeg

There are also other versions I have not even heard of before.

IMG_0045.thumb.jpeg.07b5833a4b4855a18a54cdf33b44d50b.jpeg

They could also do an modern version where she is an addict, sniffing white powder, hence her nickname on the streets could be Snow White. hm  It could be a dark and gritty recovery story.

IMG_0050.thumb.jpeg.8d1240de399ce483b49695dce666a02c.jpeg

On 7/26/2023 at 3:46 PM, Artboy99 said:

all they need to do is change the title of the film to "The New Adventures of Snow White" and then all the people triggered by the changes no longer care.

I'm wondering, though if that title hasn't already been used by Vixen Entertainment.  :whatthe:

On 7/31/2023 at 7:58 PM, Straw-Man said:

who is going to make some western posts here to trigger duck?  i just haven't the heart for it.

No need, he wouldn’t see it since he’s too busy posting in the western thread!

Looks like they picked someone who was never a fan of Snow White because it scared her as a kid. Also, upon rewatch, she finds Prince Charming to be a stalker.

She also cleared up the fairest of them all confusion. It does not refer to skin tone but being the “fairest” in a just, doing the right thing, fairest. 

This movie is going to rock! :headbang:

On 8/17/2023 at 11:01 AM, CAHokie said:

Looks like they picked someone who was never a fan of Snow White because it scared her as a kid. Also, upon rewatch, she finds Prince Charming to be a stalker.

She also cleared up the fairest of them all confusion. It does not refer to skin tone but being the “fairest” in a just, doing the right thing, fairest. 

This movie is going to rock! :headbang:

i saw that.