• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would YOU buy?
3 3

107 posts in this topic

So, I'm buying some raws that I find interesting and really, really enjoying reading them as they come in, but a part of me wants to buy a few higher dollar names and put them away for a few decades.

What would you buy? One big name or several lesser names?  Would you focus on older or newer?

Edited by Joe Peck

Buy whatever you think you will like. Once you get it and if you don't like it you can sell it and break even or even a profit if you do it right. If you are buying for financial gains then good luck. I buy anything I can make a profit on or anything that I like or think I will like or want to give a try. 

On 11/7/2021 at 4:58 PM, Thisisrequired said:

Buy whatever you think you will like. Once you get it and if you don't like it you can sell it and break even or even a profit if you do it right. If you are buying for financial gains then good luck. I buy anything I can make a profit on or anything that I like or think I will like or want to give a try. 

I'm more thinking of something I could put in a frame and hang on the wall.  Maybe one; maybe a set of 4, but not something I'd be looking to get rid of for a while, and something interesting to look at with a story to tell visitors.

On 11/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, Joe Peck said:

So, I'm buying some raws that I find interesting and really, really enjoying reading them as they come in, but a part of me wants to buy a few higher dollar names and put them away for a few decades.

What would you buy? One big name or several lesser names?  Would you focus on older or newer?

kirby thors are still rising.  

On 11/7/2021 at 5:01 PM, Joe Peck said:

I'm more thinking of something I could put in a frame and hang on the wall.  Maybe one; maybe a set of 4, but not something I'd be looking to get rid of for a while, and something interesting to look at with a story to tell visitors.

buy cheap for display, light kills  :sumo:

for putting in a box in the closet, go fewer but better. You can own almost any book you put your mind to...what would really float your boat?

You could buy a page or cover. Have someone do a piece for you. I had artists do larger than normal pieces for just what you suggested. I would much rather have a one of kind piece. Tell your visitors this is awesome and nobody has this but me. 

Buy what makes you happy and what you can afford in your situation. I'd love a Batman 1, but I just can't swing it. But I've bought Detective 359, Batman 251, Batman 244, etc. - stuff that I love and that I can afford in a reasonable grade that didn't break the bank. I see people all the time here and other places who can afford the big books, and I'm happy for them, but I treat myself to what I want within my means, same as anything else in life. I still try to find deals enough on all of them that I won't get hurt (i.e., lose money) if I need to sell them for some reason. The ones I listed above are for the personal collection with no plans on selling, but it's still smart to buy low (from a cost perspective) if possible so you can sell higher if the need ever arises to sell.

It's what you like so it's hard to answer that. For me, it would need to be something unique and likely out of my current collecting scope like PCH, pre-hero Marvels or something Timely. 

Interesting, just watched a YouTuber "Reserved Investments" who makes the case that comics will be like Penny Dreadful collectables and disappear in the future when they lose cultural relevance.  Means I need to focus on something I would like.  He also argues go for one big Key from pre-1975 as a hedge.  The Silver Surfer idea is a good one.  Arguably my favorite Marvel character of all time.  Be an interesting talking point at Thanksgiving for sure!

First I would ask, what is your price range and what are your interests? 

Most of us are going to tell you to "buy what you love".  So if you love the Avengers and your price range is $1k get an Avengers 57. Classic cover,  awesome book and for $1k you still can get a pretty nice copy. 

If your looking at $3k plus,  you can get an Avengers 4 and if we are talking $5k plus you can find a VG Avengers 1....

So,  start with who you like and a price range and people can throw ideas out there. 

When I started collecting,  Silver Surfer was my favorite character..  so in started with FF 48 - 50, and SS 1-18. And 20+ years later I still have all those books. 

Maybe something like this ( not mine )

355F3FB7-790D-4459-AB1D-F76DFEEC4EC2.thumb.jpeg.d5d206c0c8c8474a29244f13e9ffb53f.jpeg

On 11/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, Joe Peck said:

If I picked 3 books. Green Lantern #3 (1942), almost any All Winners book and Comic Cavalcade #6. I have a few books out that have WW2 covers or they depict a tie in to a real event and people notice those. 

Older books with tie ins to historic events are fun 2c