• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never thought I'd see this- The "big 3" EC horror titles are apparently "hot".
1 1

35 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2022 at 7:41 PM, fifties said:

And this was a bad thing?  Seems to me that sort of competition would only improve the quality of the illustrating.  Other than possibly Atlas, I doubt if this was prevalent with any other publisher.

I believe it improved the quality of the black and white art, but, as stated, made the final printed product probably less than it should have been in some cases.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:55 AM, goldust40 said:

A rising tide and all that. However E.C.s had been due such a price increase for some time, considering how central the publisher is to the hobby.

For old-school GA collectors, yes, but most of the new collectors seem to be all about the Marvel and DC universes.

On 1/30/2022 at 12:19 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

For old-school GA collectors, yes, but most of the new collectors seem to be all about the Marvel and DC universes.

Agree. I also think for younger PCH collectors like myself the biggest books are mostly outside of EC e.g. CDNP 24, FAC 20, Punch 12, BCM 50, CoC 19

On 1/29/2022 at 1:19 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I’d say that some of the new money has focused on pre-code. 

The name recognition of “Tales From the Crypt” seems to be boosting that title specifically. And Crime Patrol 15 is straight up wild fire. It has always been pricier than War Against Crime 10, but I’ll guess it’s 2X now.

Edited by KirbyJack

On 1/29/2022 at 5:31 AM, The-Collector said:

Agree. I also think for younger PCH collectors like myself the biggest books are mostly outside of EC e.g. CDNP 24, FAC 20, Punch 12, BCM 50, CoC 19

Just for the benefit of PreCode Horror/Crime newbies, that would be:

Crime Does Not Pay 24, Fight Against Crime 20, Punch comics 12, Black Cat Mystery 50 and the 1953 Chamber of Chills 19.

The nice thing about collecting lower grade ECs is that most of them turn up fairly frequently. If you are patient, you can pick up the right copy for the right price.

I completed my last 17 New trend wants last year. Mostly 2nd and 3rd tier wants in 3.0-6.0. I kept looking for the right copies.

But yeah. Have tripled in the past few years maybe a little more on the horror.

The war titles are the best bargain on the planet. 

On 1/30/2022 at 9:30 AM, Robot Man said:

The nice thing about collecting lower grade ECs is that most of them turn up fairly frequently. If you are patient, you can pick up the right copy for the right price.

I completed my last 17 New trend wants last year. Mostly 2nd and 3rd tier wants in 3.0-6.0. I kept looking for the right copies.

Shhhh!

On 1/30/2022 at 8:30 AM, Robot Man said:

Westerns quietly spinning their 6 shooters in the corner, whistling :whistle: