• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Diamond art for sale

11 posts in this topic

Perhaps I missed the statement somewhere, but is everything sold by Black Diamond digital? The prices generally seem low for pencil or ink (or both), and there was one listing for an “artist proof” by an artist who only does digital these days. If that wasn’t forthrightly stated, then that’s a lousy omission to deliberately make on the dealer’s part.

On 11/25/2021 at 12:05 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Perhaps I missed the statement somewhere, but is everything sold by Black Diamond digital? The prices generally seem low for pencil or ink (or both), and there was one listing for an “artist proof” by an artist who only does digital these days. If that wasn’t forthrightly stated, then that’s a lousy omission to deliberately make on the dealer’s part.

Black Diamond does sell pen and ink pages, I've seen a few by Iban Coello in the flesh that are sold on their site.

I always thought the the term 'Artist Proof' in this hobby is another way to say monoprint, so to me it's obvious. But must admit, from their site it's not very clear which is pen & ink art and which are monoprints.....

On 11/25/2021 at 7:31 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

Black Diamond does sell pen and ink pages, I've seen a few by Iban Coello in the flesh that are sold on their site.

I always thought the the term 'Artist Proof' in this hobby is another way to say monoprint, so to me it's obvious. But must admit, from their site it's not very clear which is pen & ink art and which are monoprints.....

The reference to “artist proof” tipped me off that it was not pencil and ink. I have mostly seen it for use for lithographs.

I reached out to them recently to inquire about some new art from one of their artists that hadn't shown up on their site yet. They got back with me quickly and specifically informed me that the art I was interested in is an "artist proof" and was created digitally. I wasn't aware when I asked, and so declined interest, and they replied politely.

I don't think there's any intent to be dishonest or not forthcoming. If it's not clear on their site concerning some of the art, just shoot them an email and I'm sure they'll give you specifics.

On 11/26/2021 at 4:22 PM, BuraddoRun said:

I reached out to them recently to inquire about some new art from one of their artists that hadn't shown up on their site yet. They got back with me quickly and specifically informed me that the art I was interested in is an "artist proof" and was created digitally. I wasn't aware when I asked, and so declined interest, and they replied politely.

I don't think there's any intent to be dishonest or not forthcoming. If it's not clear on their site concerning some of the art, just shoot them an email and I'm sure they'll give you specifics.

I did that, and they responded promptly. Artist’s proof does mean digital to them. Interesting use of the phrase; not one I had seen before.

On 11/25/2021 at 7:31 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

Note that historically  ‘artist proof’ is usually not a term meant to convey 1/1.    There are multiple artist proofs more often than not.   

Id be careful about assuming something is a monoprint just because it says artist proof.

On 11/27/2021 at 4:23 PM, Bronty said:

Note that historically  ‘artist proof’ is usually not a term meant to convey 1/1.    There are multiple artist proofs more often than not.   

Id be careful about assuming something is a monoprint just because it says artist proof.

I'm well aware of what an Artists Proof is in the traditional sense, but thanks for pointing out that it's best to be cautious.

For the record, thinking back I remember first hearing the term 'Artist's Proof' in this hobby on Russell Dauterman's site. He's a digital artist who sells monoprints, yet calls them Artists Proofs.
He even has a clarification of the term in his FAQ page: https://russelldauterman.square.site/faq

It seems that Black Diamond are taking the term and running with it.

On 11/29/2021 at 2:27 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

I'm well aware of what an Artists Proof is in the traditional sense, but thanks for pointing out that it's best to be cautious.

For the record, thinking back I remember first hearing the term 'Artist's Proof' in this hobby on Russell Dauterman's site. He's a digital artist who sells monoprints, yet calls them Artists Proofs.
He even has a clarification of the term in his FAQ page: https://russelldauterman.square.site/faq

It seems that Black Diamond are taking the term and running with it.

That's actually quite a clear explanation on Dauterman's website. 

My 2 cents is that APs are one of the biggest scams running that collectors turn a blind eye to when it comes to collectibles that are not one of a kind. It seem most are simply overstock prints that are "released" after the numbered run sells through and all returns and exchanges have been dealt with. This is fine, but the term proof here is unfortunate.