• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Favorite "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" Images Or Homages
1 1

21 posts in this topic

We are coming up on the 35th anniversary of the publication of "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns". Some of you weren't even born yet or were still pooping green when this masterpiece was sprung on an unsuspecting population. It's impact on the human race cannot be overstated. For this Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil Batman fan, this was a mind hump. In fact, issue 1 had already been released and we were waiting for issue 2 when my LCS told me about the new mini series in "Prestige Format". I was sold by description alone. And of course the 1st printing of issue 1 was sold out.

I was really hoping they would stop with the terrible stories now that Miller and Janson had pretty much set the bar and tone for The Batman for the future. But someone missed the meeting and Burton's movie was made. Oh well. Don't have to watch it. I have seen it once. That was plenty.

Since then, many "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" tributes and homages have sprung up. This is probably my favorite cover homage giving what I found to be a touching scene in the first book.

ikumhgzkyfjy.jpg

This is less about the image (but I'll share one to comply). When I was in 6th grade, I got "The Complete Frank Miller Batman" as a Christmas Gift - I'm 43 now and I still have it, it's fairly beat up. It's a leather-bound book with Year One, The Dark Knight Returns and a lesser-known Christmas story called "Wanted: Santa Claus -- Dead or Alive!" from DC Special Series #21 (art by Miller, story by Denny O'Neil).

I love that book. I read Year One and TDKR so many times in that book, and I eventually tracked down DC Special Series 21 as a kid to have the original comic that story appeared in. I now have the four Year One issues as raw and graded copies and TDKR as raws.

I always loved comics and comic stories, but that book came at the perfect time when I was just starting to understand what the breadth and depth of comics as a story-telling medium could be. Discovering these, Killing Joke, Son of the Demon and more would cement my love of comics and my love of Batman stories at the same time. Also, I don't share in the Burton Batman disdain - that movie came around at about the same time I got this book, and seeing a dark, gritty Batman on the screen (that's how it seemed to me at the time) was amazing to me!

(This is not my copy, just a generic scan  - mine is beat to pieces)

1714107433_frankmillerbatman.thumb.jpg.c247a33e52ce8bb160c857f3a0fc18a7.jpg

Looked at this cover in awe when I first gazed upon it at my lcs many moons ago. The Spawn homage became a favorite. I thought the Jim Lee version was a nice tribute. The back story on that one was pretty interesting too with Miller’s “clap back” featuring Marv vs Deathblow
image.jpeg.c6ac32617ca18a81cc5678b6241b851a.jpegimage.jpeg.b0b7bb6dd4fb6f2d5d00bcac20c098b8.jpegimage.jpeg.07f816fc5c4c8547a5e49ef65544460f.jpeg

On 12/5/2021 at 11:17 AM, Terry JSA said:

Here’s my copy. I remember buying this back in 2018 when I was 16. I saw this at a 2nd & Charles and thought the cover was cool. I knew NOTHING about TDKR but I wanted it. The price of the book was $89.99 and I didn’t have that type of money.

What I ended up doing was saving up enough money over the course of 2 weeks and had my dad take me back to 2nd & Charles so I can get the book. The total came out to be $96 but I didn’t care as I was just happy to have the book. 

It’s also a 1st printing too! :) 

954ED649-12EA-431D-AB18-C3786383110A.jpeg

:cheers: