• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else tired of comic book movies?
1 1

177 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2021 at 2:08 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Would love to see that Spawn movie get off the ground.

On 12/1/2021 at 6:48 AM, bentbryan said:

I had to laugh because I  don’t think it will ever happen. I wish they would just do another animated series. 

I have a feeling McFarlane has found a way for free marketing for his action figures business. Just keep doing interviews about 'the movie that is just around the corner and 75 yo Jamie Foxx is still attached'.

Maybe tired is wrong for me, but after Endgame nothing much that Marvel Studios has produced has seemed quite as exciting or essential and instantly must-see. I did rate the Snyder Cut of Justice League highly, however.  The social complications of the last couple of years have also broken the habit of drawing me out to watch them every time on the big screen, or buying them on disc or digitally, and I can wait for most to appear on free TV.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:00 AM, Hamlet said:

They are currently making more comic movies and shows than I am interested in seeing.  I watched Shang-Chi and Black Widow on Disney+ over the holiday weekend and I frankly got a little bored.  I think the movies themselves were fine, but I’m just tired of the Marvel superhero movie formula at this point.  

If I’m reaching the point where I’m tired of these movies and shows, I gotta think that the average movie viewer can’t be far behind. 

Is anyone else thinking along these lines?

I really don't understand when people think like this.  :baiting:

That would be the same logic after a couple years you say the same thing about comic books.  Its always the same old same old, but yet many still buy Spider-man, Batman, X-men comics year after year after year.  By your logic most people wouldn't collect comics books for more than a couple years and all our back issues would be worthless.

Are you tired of being entertained?

Comic books have saved Hollywood. Why? Well because the MCU for example has given Hollywood thousands of new movie storylines that aren't just reboots and retreads.  

I for one wasn't excited for Ghostbuster Afterlife (my god that was a piece of garbage) and yet another West Side Story terrible reboot.

Every movie has the same formula as the MCU......Good guy wins in the end, people are saved, politics, God/Devil, or the story of "the one" prophecy that save us all.  What else is there?  Most stories are base on previous stories.  Nothing much left creativity left at this point if you are an older person with 30+ years of being alive.  You have heard it all before so it's more being jaded than anything.

Comic book movies are exactly like a comic book store now.  I go in buy a few and leave.  I dont read all the comics, just like you don't have to watch all the movies.  Everyone I know loved the Aquaman movie, however I never bought a Aquaman comic book nor do I need to see the movie because I could care less about the character. Now if it was the 90's or early 2000's I would have gone to see it because my options were limited for those kind of comic book movies, now its opposite.  

Would you rather they make less?  I am sure you can remember a time where the thought of a MCU was a dream now its a reality.  Sit back and enjoy for God Sakes! 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/1/2021 at 9:31 AM, KingOfRulers said:

I'm not tired of comic book movies. Keep em' comin'! However, I am tired of bad comic book movies such as Shang Chi and Black Widow. 

I agree however I thought Black Widow was an all time great MCU movie. :wavingwhiteflag:

On 12/1/2021 at 10:22 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Maybe tired is wrong for me, but after Endgame nothing much that Marvel Studios has produced has seemed quite as exciting or essential and instantly must-see. I did rate the Snyder Cut of Justice League highly, however.  The social complications of the last couple of years have also broken the habit of drawing me out to watch them every time on the big screen, or buying them on disc or digitally, and I can wait for most to appear on free TV.

All this phase is will be the "hold my beer," timeframe till FF and X-Men are here.  I assumed all comic book people knew that back in 2019.  10 years from now they will have completed the Doom and Galactus arc. 

image.png.84535e2b1258b1a59a3c1ece4cd6bdbd.png

Sums up the thread nicely

By the logic here the average comic book fan that lets say reads Spider-Man enjoys 10-40 years of reading the comics, but wants less movies of that character.  ok lol 

If anything covid gave you that break from the MCU.  We really aren't getting a brand new movie till Spiderman NWH and Dr Strange 2 that actually matters.  So basically 2-3 years later? 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/1/2021 at 11:13 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Quality over quantity.

Sure I have been saying that since 1995.  90% of the comic books that come out every week are garbage by non-talented artists & writers. That have the same boring retread storylines as the movies do.  You have the ability to pick and choose with your wallet at the movies just like at the comic book store. 

On 12/1/2021 at 2:16 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Sure I have been saying that since 1995.  90% of the comic books that come out every week are garbage by non-talented artists & writers. That have the same boring retread storylines as the movies do.  You have the ability to pick and choose with your wallet at the movies just like at the comic book store. 

So you empathize with our opinions, then.

I wouldn't bag on comics if they would stop releasing 5,000 titles every week. I also wouldn't be bagging on CBMs if they didn't plan on releasing 50 TV shows in the next 2 years.

I would say that the MCU had a great balance of quality and quantity through 2019. DCEU lacked quantity for a few years, and now they're lacking quality. The MCU, being a litmus test for the medium, flooding the market just kills my enthusiasm for comic book movies and shows. 2c