• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible Reprint GA Comics on Ebay.

18 posts in this topic

I used Ebay's ask seller a question feature to get an answer. So, hopefully he or she will list as reprint. I have been seeing a lot of Whiz #1 reprints hit that didn't say they were reprints, which lead the bidder to think they are getting a sweet deal. Guess, that is just the business eh. To be honest, the sellers can make some money on the reprints anyway.

I'm not saying tou guys are wrong but these look pretty rough to be reprints. Now usually if somebody has books like this they know and list them seperately. but wonderwoman is real bad off and from the looks of it so is tec 27 but then again peoplr could rough em up alittle to make it look more belevable.

I have seen reprints in consistently bad condition of the Whiz #1. Even the Famous First Editions. Remember a great amount of the reprints were done in the early 70's. So, you got 30 or so years of age/handling on these. Plus they are reprints, you don't mind reading them, mangling etc.

I have seen reprints in consistently bad condition of the Whiz #1. Even the Famous First Editions. Remember a great amount of the reprints were done in the early 70's. So, you got 30 or so years of age/handling on these. Plus they are reprints, you don't mind reading them, mangling etc.

And don't forget the dishonest factor...

"If I mess'em up a bit, more fools will believe they are the old ones..."

893censored-thumb.gif

These are the oversized Famous First Editions, right? Seems likely, though how can you tell from the scans provided?

The real Whiz 2 has "Gangway for Captain Marvel" between his legs, which is absent on the reprint. I am not sure how to tell the other two.

These are the oversized Famous First Editions, right? Seems likely, though how can you tell from the scans provided?

The real Whiz 2 has "Gangway for Captain Marvel" between his legs, which is absent on the reprint. I am not sure how to tell the other two.

You can tell by the gloss, but if you examine the text on the Sensation comic to an original Sensation #1 you will see the difference.

Yeah, here is the response I got from a guy on a different Whiz Comics 1 for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6570226465&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

Item: Whiz Comics Feb. 1940 Vol 1 no.2Captain Marval (6570226465)

This message was sent while the listing was active.

hoops23 is the seller.

no this is an original.

yet his auction says he doesn't know much about comics, but he KNOWS this one is an original! yeah, an original reprint!

DC was so incredibly stupid for making this mess back in the 70s, but I guess they weren't thinking about the future and photos and the internet. They must have figured nobody would think they were real given their size.

I checked out the Detective 27 and I see several differences:

1) the sleave of the gunman is different including the shading

2) The building on the right has two smoke stacks on the original, on the reprint it only has one

3) The Smoke Stacks in the distance are the same color as the other smoke stacks on the original on the reprint they are not

There could me more differences, but these stuck out the most to me. Also the color on the smoke stacks and the front of the buildings look different but I would have to examine several originals to be sure.

I checked out the Detective 27 and I see several differences:

1) the sleave of the gunman is different including the shading

2) The building on the right has two smoke stacks on the original, on the reprint it only has one

3) The Smoke Stacks in the distance are the same color as the other smoke stacks on the original on the reprint they are not

There could me more differences, but these stuck out the most to me. Also the color on the smoke stacks and the front of the buildings look different but I would have to examine several originals to be sure.

Just noticed (4) The rope Batman is swinging on doesn't reach the top of the cover as it does on the original.