• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excalibur Special Edition

17 posts in this topic

I have always been curious if the census was accurate on this book and was hoping someone had raw copies to confirm.

I bought this copy at a 7-Eleven as a kid. From my understanding, this is the newsstand copy. The direct copy has a cover price along with the second and third printings.

The census has them listed as 1987 but mine was labeled 1988 and I've never seen another no "price variant" from 1988. Maybe just a mis-label?

excgc.jpg

According to the GCD the newsstand only has the price on the spine, that certainly looks like the newsstand version to me.  Mike's Amazing World has the on-sale date as December 1987, with a cover date of 1988.  So if the date wasn't actually on the book, 4/88 is probably a decent guess as to what other books on the stand were dated when it came out.

My guess is somebody didn't recognize it was a known variation and put what they could on the label.

On 12/23/2021 at 8:37 AM, I like pie said:

Thanks for the help guys. I looks like mine just has the wrong date printed on the label but the description is correct.

I also just picked this up. It's labeled as a first print but am pretty sure this is the third. CGC has a rough time with this book.

s-l1600.jpg

Beauty! And yup, that's absolutely the third. Nice pick up!

On 5/12/2022 at 9:39 PM, I like pie said:

Finally acquired all the copies I have been looking for. :applause:

I don't have any interest in the standard/direct first print, since it is the most common.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-IG1u2DFSmT.jpg

Sweet! Such a great book.

On 5/12/2022 at 7:39 PM, I like pie said:

I don't have any interest in the standard/direct first print, since it is the most common.

I say, well done

On 5/12/2022 at 8:39 PM, I like pie said:

My level of OCD would demand a copy of the normal printing, too, just for completionism. Regardless, those are nice copies of -- for a couple of them, especially -- fairly tough printings of a great book.

Loved the Excalibur team as a kid & the Alan Davis art is gorgeous. One of my favourite titles back in the day for the 1st 2 years or so. It's a series with almost no keys. Nice to see it getting a thread. If Captain Britain appears in the MCU and Excalibur follows maybe that will change one day :) 

Edited by MattrixAlien

On 5/17/2022 at 3:43 PM, F For Fake said:

Indeed, it’s a terrific book. Davis was at the peak of his powers, and it featured my two favorite X-Men, Kitty and Nightcrawler. I never get tired of this book. I keep nicer copies bagged and boarded in my collection, but if I find $1 copies, I throw them into my comic rack. I’ve got dozens of copies, and the $3.25 cover is by far the most represented, followed distantly by the $4.50. I only have a handful of the second print by comparison.

My other big nostalgia hoard book is Meltdown. I never turn away a dollar copy! Newsstands are uncommon but not rare.

F1767E46-2BE7-4E44-A3C7-751A10246EDB.jpeg

6B881E3F-4B6A-4612-A8F7-33754B4BA674.jpeg

Nice rack! No pun intended :nyah:

On 5/18/2022 at 10:30 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Outside of nostalgia, why?

I’m not sure if a person with zero connection or affinity for classic X-Men comics would get much out of it, but it’s classic Claremont zaniness matched with Alan Davis at his absolute best, so even without the layer of nostalgia, I’d think that would count for something. I can’t separate it from that context, so it’s impossible for me to say how it would read to someone without those connections. But to me, it’s a classic copper age superhero book.

On 5/31/2022 at 1:09 AM, I’m Rick Jones person_without_enough_empathy said:

So, to be clear, $3.50 2nd print much less abundant than $3.25 1st print? 

1F4FCB34-C1B2-4CA6-8A8C-C16D1CECB76C.jpeg

504F5B04-1BF9-4611-95E8-554077018330.jpeg

In my experience, this is correct. Now again, this is anecdotal, based on my experience collecting the book for 30 years around here. I can only speak for myself. I generally pick up any $1 (or relatively cheap) copy I find, and have done so for many years.

So, with that big caveat, the non-priced 1st print is still the hardest to find (though to be fair, NONE of these are rare. Print runs were very healthy,) and the $3.50 cover is the next in line. I have stacks of dozens of copies of the $3.25 1st print, and I have a healthy stack of $4.50 3rd prints. But I only have, like, two or three copies of the $3.50 cover, and the same for the no-price 1st print.

So, in my limited personal experience of buying this book, the $3.50 cover is uncommon. I would stress that I don't think any of them are "rare", but I definitely don't see the $3.50 cover much at all.