• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A sad tale of history lost - Poor packaging - Warning *Graphic Photo"
4 4

42 posts in this topic

If you added a hint of tasteful colour touch to freshen the book up and help hide what happened, do you think CGC will notice? 

On 12/14/2021 at 1:25 PM, Hudson said:

Yes.  I would have been very happy with this book (in its condition prior to shipping). 

I agree, it was very cool of my wife to buy this book.

It was. She has exquisite taste. She must have heard something in a conversation or knows you very, very well. My wife only knows I like Batman. With my luck, she would gift me my mortal enemy Batman book. Then I would have to sit there "OH! It's....errrrr....LOVELY! Certainly not a book I would buy for myself! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!" while dying inside. LOL!

batman-101-105-australian-reprints_1_b044cdf74ef5675d6f7819c77de0649f.jpg.5d64ca98fb44a39bff0bee3ef0c39a3d.jpghave bought

Edited by Randall Ries

On 12/14/2021 at 1:41 PM, Buzzetta said:

For Hudson and the rest of the forum - call CGC and tell them you found another Promise Collection book.  Instant 9.4 with a rather large bindery tear. 

Looks like a Green label to me - "Bottom left corner missing"

On 12/13/2021 at 11:27 PM, Hudson said:

It is that time of year again when every true comic collector waits in hope that Santa (or their significant other) will leave them that special package under the tree; inside that package a special comic that will be treasured by the new owner and placed safely into his/her collection.  These are the things that dreams are made of; dreams of that special loved one, that special day, and that specail book.  :cloud9:

Every year I have this dream and occasionally (perhaps if I am fortunate enough to make it onto the "nice" list, due to some clerical error) the dream comes true.

This year, my wife decided she was going to try and make it just such a special year :banana:.  She found a book on eBay that she thought I might like, made an offer to the seller, and purchased the book.  Although she probably overpaid for the book, she was content knowing that I would have that special gift to open on Christmas morning.  All was well in the world.

Then something happen; something almost too terrible to tell; too terrible to even think about.  The seller decided that it was a good idea to place this really nice conditioned book into a thin cardboard envelope (with only a thin backing board on each side for protection).  I cringe to write more, but I cannot leave you without finishing the tale.  The seller then mailed the thin cardboard envelope via first class mail (no insurance).

Now I do not want to poke fun at our USPS, but if what happened to my package was "first class", I would hate to know what is done to anything less than fist class.   Do they just light those packages on fire.  (shrug)

A few days after the seller mailed the envelope it arrived (or at least part of it did).  My wife was horrified and almost in tears as the mailperson handed her what was left of the package (envelope). 

I will say that the seller (who has numerous other comics listed for sale) did refund my wife's money in full and apologized for the incident, so I hold no grudge against him.

I am just saddened that a beautiful piece of American history is now forever lost; lost because of the way it was packaged and lost because of the way it was handled.

May you all have a Merry Christmas and may Santa (or your significant other) manage to find you that perfect book and safely ensure its arrival under the tree!

:whatthe: :whatthe: :whatthe:  

I'm only one year into having comics arrive in the mail (well, if you don't count my subscription copies in the 70s), and here's the worst so far.  Fortunately expertly packaged by @alecholland, so no harm was done to any comic or animal.  Exterior and interior shots.  Give USPS an "F" for effort.

Damage - Erich.jpg

Damage 2 - Erich.jpg

On 12/13/2021 at 8:27 PM, Hudson said:

Now I do not want to poke fun at our USPS, but if what happened to my package was "first class", I would hate to know what is done to anything less than fist class.   Do they just light those packages on fire.  (shrug)

I think this typo in your initial post pretty much sums up what happened here. :smile:

I am so sorry to hear about your book, and also think it was an awesome gesture by your wife to try and make this a special Christmas for you.

On 12/13/2021 at 9:40 PM, unclezebo said:

Ouch, that's horrible. I'm guessing the corner got caught in one of the big sorting machines in one of the bulk mail centers and it just sheared and shredded the rest of the package.

Yep, those machines have an appetite 

So sorry that happened to you, but full credit to your wife for the effort!
As for the seller? In MOST situations where a book is damaged in the mail, you could certainly blame the shoddy packaging he employed… but in this particular case the book was so savaged I’m not sure it mattered as much. 
What’s most important is that he immediately took full responsibility and issued the refund. 

To the OP, very sorry this happened to you.  It's really heartbreaking to see what happened.  However, it seems to me that while you may not have a nice copy of that book, you do have something far more valuable in your life- the love of someone that supports you.  And, to me, that's the most touching part of your story.

Happy Holidays,sir!  :cheers:

On 12/14/2021 at 10:54 PM, Randall Dowling said:

To the OP, very sorry this happened to you.  It's really heartbreaking to see what happened.  However, it seems to me that while you may not have a nice copy of that book, you do have something far more valuable in your life- the love of someone that supports you.  And, to me, that's the most touching part of your story.

Happy Holidays,sir!  :cheers:

You are correct.  Comics bring me joy as I think of childhoosd, however, no material item in the world is more important than loved ones.  The things of this world will all pass away (some perhaps sooner than we expected - as was this case).  I have been married, however, for many years and am thankful for a wife who still loves (and tolerates) me after so many years togehter.

May this season bring you many joys, sir.

On 12/25/2021 at 3:25 PM, Hudson said:

Merry Christmas to all.   I wanted to provide you all with an update.  Although the original book was forever tragically lost, my wife did manage to still make it a nice Christmas.  Apparently, after receiving the book or half a book (shown in the OP), another copy came up for auction.  I opened it today.  My photography skills are lacking and the book looks much better in person.

Merry Christmas....

1158311804_Action247Christmas2021(2).thumb.jpeg.9719c90ced26ba442ad477d771cc5343.jpeg

^^

On 12/25/2021 at 4:25 PM, Hudson said:

Merry Christmas to all.   I wanted to provide you all with an update.  Although the original book was forever tragically lost, my wife did manage to still make it a nice Christmas.  Apparently, after receiving the book or half a book (shown in the OP), another copy came up for auction.  I opened it today.  My photography skills are lacking and the book looks much better in person.

Merry Christmas....

1158311804_Action247Christmas2021(2).thumb.jpeg.9719c90ced26ba442ad477d771cc5343.jpeg

Really glad to see the happy ending here. Congrats, Hudson, and Merry X-Mas to you and your family.