• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiants mentioned in the 2003 Overstreet market reports

187 posts in this topic

Chuck of Mile High previously stated he pre-ordered 10,000 copies of all the early Valiants to support Shooter's new line of comics. Later, Greg Buls of Kingpin/Bulldog Comics speculated crazily & forced the prices up in market reports in CVM & Wizard. Buls had a long box of Solar 10 (think this was the "scarce" all black cover) for sale during the hype at San Diego con. Back then, Valiants sumo.gif were being flipped from dealer to dealer exponentially. Delaers were dumping their silver Marvels & DCs to get more Valiants b/c the turnover was better.

So Buls was the infamous Valiant King?

I never heard Greg go by Valiant King, although things did get pretty ugly as he was going out of business so I guess it could be a nickname he was given. Back in the early days of Valiant & Wizard I often heard of Buls/Valiant & Wizard referred to as the "Pyramid", with Valiant being the top point & Buls & Wizard the bottom 2 points. Valiant would create the books, Wizard would promote the he$$ out of them & Greg would order in unbelievable quantities.

I was investing thru Greg early on & ended up trading back a large amount of pre- unity books to him for some really nice high grade silver books. Those were the days...order new books at 40% off, wait a month or 2, then trade them in even up for some really nice silver books.

Allow me to throw a new spin on this discusision and highlight the creative quality of these books. (yes, that's right - their worth and speculations of their future value aside

). Let me just reiterate how cool some of the early Valiants are - especially X-O. My full X-O run is one of the pride and joys of my collection. It really was fresh and innovative. Take a cool character well written and throw in BWS and Bart Sears. Mind blowing stuff . . .

For those of you who still read comics, as has been said by many other posters in this thread, the early Valiants are worth a read. Personally, I think that the Valiants till around 94/95 were still pretty good and enjoyed X-O, Magnus, and Bloodshot till the end.

DAM

Does anyone wonder if Greg Buls is really Valiantman, and he's trying to sell off his back stock?

If he does, I'll take them all at 1.5 X Overstreet for the pre-Unity books in NM!

The Pre-Unity Valiant comic books are (1991-1992):

Archer & Armstrong 0

Harbinger 0 (Pink),1,2,3,4,5,6,7 (1-6 should have coupon intact)

Magnus 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 (1-8 should have coupon intact)

Rai 1,2,3,4,5

Shadowman 1,2,3

Solar 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11

X-O Manowar 1,2,3,4,5,6

so this is the 'official' Pre-Unity Valiant list???

thats not a lot of books compared to all the books they eventually published. So which are the best later issues??

The Pre-Unity Valiant comic books are (1991-1992):

Archer & Armstrong 0

Harbinger 0 (Pink),1,2,3,4,5,6,7 (1-6 should have coupon intact)

Magnus 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 (1-8 should have coupon intact)

Rai 1,2,3,4,5

Shadowman 1,2,3

Solar 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11

X-O Manowar 1,2,3,4,5,6

so this is the 'official' Pre-Unity Valiant list???

thats not a lot of books compared to all the books they eventually published. So which are the best later issues??

You hit the nail on the head...

There are very few pre-Unity Valiant books, about 50...and that list is complete.

(Unless you include the "Vintage Magnus Robot Fighter #1-#4" Gold Key reprints)

Which is why we can say with confidence that ALL of them are definitely

worth picking up at cover price. (Or even picking up at 1.5x Overstreet...as Donut does...)

While there are a few "story arcs" in the later books (1995-96) that get attention...

the "last issue" is where the most interest is (a lot like Marvel's G.I.Joe or Star Wars),

Only 3 of the Valiant titles reached 60 issues...so you could say that the final

issues of X-O Manowar (#68), Magnus (#64), and Solar (#60) are worth grabbing.

Other "final regular issues" of interest would be Turok #47, Eternal Warrior #50,

and Bloodshot #51. There was also a $5.95 Bloodshot: Last Stand special which

had a very low print due to the high cover price (about 7,500 copies).

Does anyone wonder if Greg Buls is really Valiantman, and he's trying to sell off his back stock?

1. I'm not him, though my first name is Greg.

2. I'm not selling, I'm buying.

Joe_C...NO ONE has any significant quantities of pre-Unity Valiant backstock for sale.

If they have ANY, it's one book. Or a few books. There are no unopened cases...

there aren't even dozens --much less hundreds-- ANYWHERE...that's the point!

Even Mile High is SOLD OUT when it comes to pre-Unity Valiant.

What is up with your 30 posts of pessimism on this particular topic?

We're advocating that people might want to go out and find some great comics

for about cover price, and you think it's all some kind of a scam.

For someone who claims to "not care" about Valiant in over a decade...

you've said a whole lot to the contrary.

1. I'm not him, though my first name is Greg.

2. I'm not selling, I'm buying.

Joe_C...NO ONE has any significant quantities of pre-Unity Valiant backstock for sale.

If they have ANY, it's one book. Or a few books. There are no unopened cases...

there aren't even dozens --much less hundreds-- ANYWHERE...that's the point!

Even Mile High is SOLD OUT when it comes to pre-Unity Valiant.

What is up with your 30 posts of pessimism on this particular topic?

We're advocating that people might want to go out and find some great comics

for about cover price, and you think it's all some kind of a scam.

For someone who claims to "not care" about Valiant in over a decade...

you've said a whole lot to the contrary.

Like I said, I'll take all you have at 1.5 X Overstreet in NM.

Flagging sales deflate AcclaimIn an article 5-20-03 in Newsday, there is nothing good about the state of Acclaims finances,losing up to 50 million last quarter.The stock is facing the prospect of being delisted by Nasdaq. Maybe King Todd or some other prospect might be able to intice the board to devest a very underused asset.

Hi, I'm a fan of the early Valiant books. I was a comic reader and then collector up till I was in college (and broke for many years as a result). A friend of mine turned me onto the Valiant books when they first came out and I was hooked once again...

I thought I'd test the waters a little and just put a copy of Rai #1 in VF/NM or better on ebay with an opening bid of $1 ($2.50 for first class postage in the US). I don't have a scanner but if someone wants a more specific pic I'll be happy to forward one. I've had bad luck shipping Internationally but if a list member outside the US wants to bid and is willing to cover the higher postage cost, that's okay

Check out the auction and we'll see what kind of interest it generates ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2176125462

dave h

Rai #1 is one of those books that trades somewhere between $3 and $15 every time.

No one's really sure why it's that big of a price range...

However, your photo in that auction looks a little faded.

That book should have a bright red cover.

Anyway...here's a whole bunch of the Rai's in one auction from Zilla...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2174955376

There's only 5 issues (Rai #1-#5) that are "important" in that series...

and they usually go in the $30-$40 range as a group...

but this one's already hit $100.

Wild stuff...maybe it's a good omen for your book!

By the way, I checked with Greg Buls...he's sold out of Valiant back issues.

EBay is just about the ONLY consistent source for the books now...

unless you count Comic Cavalcade's "retro-pricing system":

http://www.comcav.com/valiant.html

Oh no, a shortage of Valiant comics! I don't think I can sleep at night. makepoint.gif

I don't understand your continued belittling of these books. I'm telling you, I can sell them ALL DAY LONG. Go pull the ones out of your back stock. I'll take your pre-Unity stuff off your hands. I'm the sucker.

I'm not against the Valiant books, but it's quite obvious (if it wasn't before) that Valiantman is interested in hyping the book's value instead of the 'story lines".

It's like 1991-2 Wizard all over again...

I'm not against the Valiant books, but it's quite obvious (if it wasn't before) that Valiantman is interested in hyping the book's value instead of the 'story lines".

It's like 1991-2 Wizard all over again...

gotta disagree with you there. if you have ever been to valiantcomics.com (valiantmans site) you will see after a bit of looking around that he does it for the love of the valiant line and the stories it tells and that funky house art style laugh.gif

I think the other thing he and alot of other valiant collectors love about the brand is that they can complete a whole set of valiants without re mortgaging the house to get them all! think about getting every marvel or dc from start to finish. wouldnt that be great!!? well valiant is a company that many people are doing that with just for the love of the books and the art. kind of like the old days (pre speculation on everything). collecting to collect. how novel

PS just to test out my theory, ask valiant man ANY thing about valiants and you will either get

A) a concrete answer (to a question with a singular answer)

or

B) a well written and very insightful philosophical response for the more esoteric of ideas dealing with the valiant uni. take a look at some of the monster threads on their forum board. unless you have a complete knowledge of every nuance of every story, you will be lost QUICK!!